Greenville county SC/ Charleston County SC EMS?

chunkypeaches

Forum Ride Along
Does anyone have any experience with either of these two organizations? If so if you could share some details about them other than what their websites say i would greatly appreciate it!

Also- New to EMTLIFE! So happy i've found this wonderful resource!

FiremedicSC

Forum Probie
I worked for Greenville County EMS. I only worked there for a couple of months due to their rigorous FTO process. Very, very, busy serice. High expectations very liberal protocols.

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
I worked for Greenville County EMS. I only worked there for a couple of months due to their rigorous FTO process. Very, very, busy serice. High expectations very liberal protocols.

Could you elaborate more on their rigorous FTO process? I have an interview with them coming up soon.

FiremedicSC

Forum Probie
Greenville County hires you as a probationary paramedic no matter what your experience level they put you through a six-month field training orientation where they train you from wherever you your experience level is to their expectations. You are graded on your performances while in the fco's present. My experience was there was little to no leeway for interpretation they will need you to be aggressive they wanted you to be decisive they will need you to be a doctor on the streets comma my skill level and my comfort level is not where I can't call or I don't need to call for help from him the tongue they won't you that good. But for this area they have the most aggressive most liberal most call volume overall the best service in the area. I would encourage you to look into medshore Ambulance Service out of Anderson South Carolina as well as Lexington County and Richland County. You might also do yourself good to look into Mecklenburg County in Charlotte North Carolina their website is medic911.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Greenville County hires you as a probationary paramedic no matter what your experience level they put you through a six-month field training orientation where they train you from wherever you your experience level is to their expectations. You are graded on your performances while in the fco's present. My experience was there was little to no leeway for interpretation they will need you to be aggressive they wanted you to be decisive they will need you to be a doctor on the streets comma my skill level and my comfort level is not where I can't call or I don't need to call for help from him the tongue they won't you that good. But for this area they have the most aggressive most liberal most call volume overall the best service in the area. I would encourage you to look into medshore Ambulance Service out of Anderson South Carolina as well as Lexington County and Richland County. You might also do yourself good to look into Mecklenburg County in Charlotte North Carolina their website is medic911.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Awesome. Good to know. I'm still a new medic (under a year) so I'm okay with them building me to their expectations.
Already applied (and will be interviewing in two weeks) with Mecklenburg. I'll check out the other 2 counties though this week! Thanks!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you're looking in the Carolinas Wake is an obvious choice to apply to as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
If you're looking in the Carolinas Wake is an obvious choice to apply to as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, Wake and Durham were the first I applied to.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Yep, Wake and Durham were the first I applied to.
might want to throw Orange in there too... Not as well known, but has it's perks...

I hear good things about Nash county too..... many of these places are online applications, so you can fill out a profile with https://www.governmentjobs.com/ and they will notify you when they have paramedic openings. then it's just two buttons to attach your resume, and click submit.... it can't get much easier.

also: https://emtlife.com/threads/north-carolina.44838/

and maybe https://emtlife.com/threads/where-is-the-best-ems-system.44926/

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
might want to throw Orange in there too... Not as well known, but has it's perks...

I hear good things about Nash county too..... many of these places are online applications, so you can fill out a profile with https://www.governmentjobs.com/ and they will notify you when they have paramedic openings. then it's just two buttons to attach your resume, and click submit.... it can't get much easier.

also: https://emtlife.com/threads/north-carolina.44838/

and maybe https://emtlife.com/threads/where-is-the-best-ems-system.44926/

I've been continously checking Orange, but they haven't posted any openings.
Never heard of Nash county, so I'll be checking that one out now as well. And oh I know both those threads well. That's how I found this website actually was a link to the "where is the best EMS system" thread. I lurked for a while and then decided to finally join so I could post.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Because I'm feeling helpful....

http://www.orangecountync.gov/departments/human_resources/interest_cards.php sign up, select EMS, and they will notify you when they have openings.

For Nash county (biggest city there is Rocky mount, and they have a huge rural area) http://www.co.nash.nc.us/index.aspx?NID=409

Johnston County (another one that neighbors Wake) https://agency.governmentjobs.com/johnston/default.cfm?action=openjobrequest&EmployerID=1243

Hartnett County (currently have paramedic positions available, albeit on a part time basis) https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/harnett

Daiawa

Forum Probie
Charleston County has recently emerged from what I like to call the "dark years", I wouldn't have recommended it to anyone. However the past year and a half has shown a complete 180. The days of 36hr forced shifts are done, in fact I haven't heard of anyone being "forced" in at least six months.

Shifts are 12 hours 2 on 2 off every other weekend is a 3 day. Shifts are capped at 16hr max, with a mandatory 8hrs off. Plenty of overtime is available.

Fleet is new, oldest ambulance i believe is 2014/15, all extended cab f-450's with Braun boxes (some older ones are taylormade's), with new trucks coming yearly. X-series monitors, all equipment is well maintained and fixed/replaced as soon as needed.

New medical director is very progressive and very involved. New system director is very receptive to ideas "from the street" and is very involved with street personnel. He runs numerous calls and jumps on the truck every now and then, as does our med director.

We have had major issues with morale in the past, however since the ousting of our former chief as well as the overwhelming system improvements, it is improving daily. \

Starting pay is 17.33/hr for medic with I believe slight bumps for education. You are able to test for a Crew Chief position after your probationary period (6 months) which starts around 21/hr. I would say we are around 20% staffed by EMT's so you may not always be a dual medic truck once you are a CC.

As a direct comparison to Greenville County, I would say we are very similar, however they are definitely more progressive. That being said with our new medical director, we are rapidly working on that. If I were to go anywhere else in the state it would be there, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Charleston County has recently emerged from what I like to call the "dark years", I wouldn't have recommended it to anyone. However the past year and a half has shown a complete 180. The days of 36hr forced shifts are done, in fact I haven't heard of anyone being "forced" in at least six months.

Shifts are 12 hours 2 on 2 off every other weekend is a 3 day. Shifts are capped at 16hr max, with a mandatory 8hrs off. Plenty of overtime is available.

Fleet is new, oldest ambulance i believe is 2014/15, all extended cab f-450's with Braun boxes (some older ones are taylormade's), with new trucks coming yearly. X-series monitors, all equipment is well maintained and fixed/replaced as soon as needed.

New medical director is very progressive and very involved. New system director is very receptive to ideas "from the street" and is very involved with street personnel. He runs numerous calls and jumps on the truck every now and then, as does our med director.

We have had major issues with morale in the past, however since the ousting of our former chief as well as the overwhelming system improvements, it is improving daily. \

Starting pay is 17.33/hr for medic with I believe slight bumps for education. You are able to test for a Crew Chief position after your probationary period (6 months) which starts around 21/hr. I would say we are around 20% staffed by EMT's so you may not always be a dual medic truck once you are a CC.

As a direct comparison to Greenville County, I would say we are very similar, however they are definitely more progressive. That being said with our new medical director, we are rapidly working on that. If I were to go anywhere else in the state it would be there, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Are you currently working there? I had read the other threads on this website about those dark days..
Are y'all still doing SSM or working out of stations? What are your average transport times?

Daiawa

Forum Probie
Currently working at CCEMS. We are a "Modified SSM" Meaning we have 13 station trucks, where these trucks start their shifts at (0645-1845/1845-0645). We then have up to 12 peak units which start from our public works/supply facility in the middle of the county, these trucks have shifts ranging from 0445-1645 all the way to an "overtime" truck which is filled with OT people if they want it which runs 1645-0445.

While starting off at a station does not mean you will stay at that station, it also does not mean that you will be on a street corner all day either. All of those stations are utilized as post assignments, as well as street corners, its the luck of the draw. Around 1700 all the station based trucks are started towards their respective stations for crew change.

We have very unique geography with all of our islands and the over all shape of our county. We have transport times which can vary from <5 minutes in the heart of the city to >1hr in the outlying areas if transporting to our main two hospitals in Charleston. Average I would say is 15-20 minutes.

OP
OP
chunkypeaches

chunkypeaches

Forum Ride Along
Currently working at CCEMS. We are a "Modified SSM" Meaning we have 13 station trucks, where these trucks start their shifts at (0645-1845/1845-0645). We then have up to 12 peak units which start from our public works/supply facility in the middle of the county, these trucks have shifts ranging from 0445-1645 all the way to an "overtime" truck which is filled with OT people if they want it which runs 1645-0445.

While starting off at a station does not mean you will stay at that station, it also does not mean that you will be on a street corner all day either. All of those stations are utilized as post assignments, as well as street corners, its the luck of the draw. Around 1700 all the station based trucks are started towards their respective stations for crew change.

We have very unique geography with all of our islands and the over all shape of our county. We have transport times which can vary from <5 minutes in the heart of the city to >1hr in the outlying areas if transporting to our main two hospitals in Charleston. Average I would say is 15-20 minutes.
Thank you so much for all of this info! I currently live in Charleston (Mount Pleasant) and work for one of the private companies around town. Ive applied to greenville and I test with them on the tenth, still waiting for CCEMS to have an opening. Again thank you so much!