grants for EMS

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
hey guys. I've been looking around using google and so far havent come up with anything. im wondering if you guys know of any websites or organizations that offer grants for EMS services and ones that are hospital based.

we are a hospital based service with only 3 units 2 of which are in teh shop right now broke down and they just not reliable and my boss has mentioned about trying to find some grants for EMS.

i had my hopes up for a min. i came checked with the AFG (assistance to Firefighters grant) and they have grants for EMS services but they cannot be affiliated with a hospital service.

so if you guys could maybe point me in the right direction that would be great.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Check with your state health department. Some have emergency grants available or can point you towards some grants.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Also look to your hospital itself. Does it have a charitable foundation associated with it, a fundraising arm that is an adjunct to the hospital itself. Also look into local community fund raising organizations. Service clubs such as Rotary, Kiwanis, Soroptomists may have funds earmarked for local needs. You can also look into Hospital auxiliary groups. We have a group of what are known as the "Pink Ladies" who run a second hand store and use the funds to support the hospital. They have purchased ambulances, medical equipment and even paid for medic school for some local EMTs.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
I have been on the same quest for quite a while. The FD is bringing in the money with fundraisers and the like, but my squad seems to have a hard time stiring up some give a :censored::censored::censored::censored: to do this. May need to implant boot in arse.
There is all kinds of grants when it comes to fire/rescue under a rural fire protection districts. But our FD doesnt want to do that. I don't think they like us much.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have been on the same quest for quite a while. The FD is bringing in the money with fundraisers and the like, but my squad seems to have a hard time stiring up some give a :censored::censored::censored::censored: to do this. May need to implant boot in arse.
There is all kinds of grants when it comes to fire/rescue under a rural fire protection districts. But our FD doesnt want to do that. I don't think they like us much.

First set up a foundation, very simple process, write bylaws (or steal them from someone else) file with your state as a non profit corporation and then you can write grants. The money comes to the foundation and not the FD so the foundation gets to decide what its spent on. When the donation is made from the foundation to your Amb Service, make them 'dedicated funds' for a particular use that way the FD can't absorb the funds. Or have the foundation purchase the equipment directly and donate the equipment to the ambulance.

You can also sign up for a 501 c iii but its pricey. It does increase your grant options because many grants are only open to those with the 501ciii classification from the IRS. If you decide to do the 501ciii, let me know because I have a hint which speeds up the process.