Graduate school program advice.

Medico

Forum Lieutenant
I am looking into graduate school programs and would like input.

My undergrad is in Business Management, though I am leaning towards an MPA; however, ASU offers a Master of Arts in Public Safety Leadership and Administration with the option of concentrating in EMS and mobile healthcare. ASU seems a little too specific.

The administrative education of the PSLA is similar to that of the MPA track. The cost per credit hour is cheaper at ASU with the potential to complete the program a little quicker, which is beneficial because my employer is paying, and I will owe them one year of service once the final class is completed; the sooner I can finish the degree the quicker I can move on from the hospital setting. In the perfect world, I would like to work for a government entity at the capacity of an administrator within an EMS organization, however, that might not happen.
Would I potentially have the same opportunities regardless if it was an MPA or this MA: PSLA? Does the concentration truly make a difference?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Considering that, odds are, the people that will be hiring you will know far less about those degrees than you when you are done, it will be entirely up to you to demonstrate/convince that the degree you have is the one they want. At the end of the day, IMHO, administrative/leadership degrees are just variations on the same theme. Were it me with those choices, it would really come down to name recognition of the university. For better or worse, that is what might get more attention than the minutiae of the degree.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you 100% need to do an online degree? Or do you have flexibility to do something nearby, say, part time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
MBA is for the private sector
MPA is for the non-profit or public sector

never heard of MA: PSLA, but I would be very wary of new types of degrees, because while you might learn some very relevant content, if it's not recognized as either an MBA or MPA, you won't get credit for it as an HR requirement.

And unless you are already in a leadership position, a masters won't help your career in EMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
And unless you are already in a leadership position, a masters won't help your career in EMS
Interesting - why do you say that? I would imagine that field sups might not need one, but to be an agency director, isn't graduate education sort of de rigueur?

DrParasite

You would think so, but sadly no..... too many agencies still go by the "well, you've been here the longest, and haven't left yet, so you can run the show, even though you only have a HS diploma......"

What I mean by that statement If you have your paramedic, and are working as a field medic, and get your masters, it won't automatically put you in the running for a management position, or even a supervisory position. and if it does, than I guarantee you that there will be others in the running who won't have masters and (for one reason or another) will be more highly qualified for the position, even if simply because they have been with the agency longer (this is even more prevalent in the fire service BTW)

It's very similar to the EFO (executive fire officer) certification.... It's a worthwhile certification, and teaches you how to be an executive officer, but many of the participants are currently chiefs, not line staff with higher aspirations.

Now, if you are currently a field supervisor or deputy director, and on track to move up, then absolutely a masters can help you move up. And you will find many agency higher ups (those in senior administrative positions) who are currently working on completing their masters degree. But you will find many more who didn't need anything higher than an associates and time with the agency who are now holding supervisory or leadership positions.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am a paramedic still working in the field and completing a masters degree. IMO you have two tracks, management/administration side of things or research/education side of things. I see you're more interested in the first, but I went with the second. I really can't offer any advice on business or management beyond a couple of classes I took in undergrad. However, If you are open to relocating and being an EMS chief or something like that in the public/governmental sector, I would consider the MPA from a university with an "ok" rep that's not famous for being exclusively online or being an online degree mill.

As for me, I went with masters of science in global health, but in retrospect, I likely should have taken an MPH with a concentration in epidemiology. The MPH is a well-known degree specifically within the healthcare field. No one knows what a master of global health is, and as someone else mentioned above, I have to explain it and sell them on it and then explain why I did not take an MPH lol. In your case, people might ask what the hell a PSLA is and then you might find yourself doing what I do and having to sell it and explain why you did not get the MPA, which is a well known and established degree. Just my two cents

DrParasite

However, If you are open to relocating and being an EMS chief or something like that in the public/governmental sector, I would consider the MPA from a university with an "ok" rep that's not famous for being exclusively online or being an online degree mill.
OK, I must back pedal on my earlier statement. With more places finding new agency directors from outside the organization, having a masters degree (with several years of supervisory or administration experience) can absolutely make you an appealing candidate to be hired as a director.

But you will still need those years of supervisory or leadership experience in order to be considered, masters degree or not.

OP
OP
Medico

Medico

Forum Lieutenant
I appreciate all the advice and input. Presently, online education is the best option for me. I've applied to an MPA program with Old Dominion University. I've also submitted an application with EVMS/ODU MPH and A.T. Still University MPH. Despite the time I spent researching graduate school programs, I managed to overlook an MPH. If I did focus on EMS and community paramedicine I believe both an MPA and MPH would be relevant.

I agree with the consensus that a Masters will not get me promoted any quicker. The system I work in promotes those who fit a personality mold, not who is more qualified.