GPS on the Ambulance

makphisto

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone use any GPS system on their ambulance? I got to play with a GPS system, a Garmin, over the holidays and I really think that they would help out tremendously in our district. We're pretty rural, and while we keep maps and we all try to "know" the territory, there are occasions where having a voice tell you where to turn would be helpful.

I'm getting opposition from the old-timers though. They think it will become a crutch, GPS isn't always right, etc, etc. I think it's just because they're not exactly techno-savvy and they fear change. And that's ok! I'm not saying replace the maps, I'm just saying add GPS as another tool.

Thoughts?

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
I got my Garmin Nuvi two Christmas's ago. I love it. I take mine to work with me every time I go. It has never failed me yet. In fact, I have better directions on my Garmin than the dispatcher's do with their satellite pictures and maps of where we are.

The only thing I wish Garmin would do in their design is add public servant icons like ambulances, fire trucks, or police cars and then have a fastest way selection that would help you avoid major residential areas unless that was your only way through.

At any rate, the Garmin is definitely a tool to be added to your collection. In the end, there is no liability to having one with you.

OP
OP
makphisto

makphisto

Forum Crew Member
We have a meeting tonight, I'm going to bring it up again. If they refuse, I think I might just invest in my own and take it with me on calls. That'll show 'em! :rolleyes:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am a techno-guru, and always embrace new technologies, but maintain some skepticism.
I have seen GPS do incredible things in an ambulances, specifically in Israel as well as here in the US. People are always slow in accepting new technology, but usage will come in time. I have a few warnings for those who undertake the technology:
* Having/Using GPS is no replacement for knowing your coverage area. There will be times (albeit rarely) when the GPS gives you poor directions or it doesn't work.
* There are GPS units that have software that does calculate routes based on decreasing travel on small roads, avoiding lights (or avoiding "unspecified" or non-opticon lights), and calculating routes based on traffic, although you need to look hard for the software.
* You need to look out for bridges or other things on the road if your rig is overly tall (or has a long antenna)...
* Although the cost may seem high at the beginning, there are no monthly costs and essentially no upkeep costs.

Good Luck,

DES

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I used a Garmin iQue 3600 when I worked in EMS. I wouldn't work a shift without it. I still wouldn't work a shift in EMS without a GPS. I can read maps, and I can get there, but the added comfort of the GPS is worth the price.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Does anyone use any GPS system on their ambulance? I got to play with a GPS system, a Garmin, over the holidays and I really think that they would help out tremendously in our district. We're pretty rural, and while we keep maps and we all try to "know" the territory, there are occasions where having a voice tell you where to turn would be helpful.

I'm getting opposition from the old-timers though. They think it will become a crutch, GPS isn't always right, etc, etc. I think it's just because they're not exactly techno-savvy and they fear change. And that's ok! I'm not saying replace the maps, I'm just saying add GPS as another tool.

Thoughts?

We used a cheapo version of Tom Tom purchased at Walmart at my last service per our county contract. It was able to give lat/long/utm and do many of the things a real gps does and was very effective.

Emt /b/

Forum Crew Member
I just purchased one. It'll be helpful for learning the service area, and once I do that, it'll still be helpful for long distance transfers.

mdtaylor

Forum Crew Member
I used a Garmin iQue 3600 when I worked in EMS. I wouldn't work a shift without it. I still wouldn't work a shift in EMS without a GPS. I can read maps, and I can get there, but the added comfort of the GPS is worth the price.

Emphasis added. Some of these newer kids (sorry, medics) will tend to rely on the GPS instead of allowing it to supplement their map reading skills. They need to be taught that the GPS will take them directly to the address or waypoint programed into it, and not to the incident location. Our systems are linked to our CAD and often, if followed without regard to mapreading, will lead crews on wild goose chases.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
GPS technology is great and has been very beneficial to me as a pilot. However, I too am skeptical of people over utilizing them and failing to use critical map reading skills, having an intimate familiarization with their territory, and using some good ol' common sense. All too often, I see people focus too much on the new toys and forget the basics.

Case in point........

All of my flight students do time in the simulator during intitial instrument training. They have a Garmin 430 available to use. It's funny how every time they get a RAIM failure and are forced to use other navigational aids, they wind up crashing or getting lost. Why? Because they lose their situational awareness.

GPS can fail, given the time, they will. A GPS cannot replace the human touch, so get out your maps and learn your district........................

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
GPS can be an awesome asset, but like everyone has said nothing beats knowing your area. I also find that GPS can help you learn your district when going to a call. They show cross streets and other things that you can learn to better know your surroundings. I have a streetpilot C340 and wouldn't leave anywhere without it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Use a Tom Tom XL1. Love it. :wub:

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
We are so lucky here. We are on the Phoenix regional dispatch and have use Computer aided dispatch and have MCT's in our trucks and rescues. You can pretty much do anything on them and get a very detailed map and evn arial photos like google maps. Tells us every parcel of land, and even where hydrants are. EMS calls get a little star of life at the location, fires have flames at the address and haz get the haz-mat symbol. Very firefighter proof.

Then, when I go and work part-time for PMT or medcare/Southwest amb. it can be a nightmare trying to find places without GPS directions. Some of the full-time people there use personal GPS. I would say if you can afford it and you work ambo full-time GET IT, and learn your area, especially if you work on a 911 system, it fells really bad when you take more time getting to a patient because you are lost. It happens.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
I am all for going GPS but I agree that we shouldn't become dependent on the technology. I think if you need to fire up the GPS, then you should also be digging out the map. It is just better than sitting in the bus for a few minutes figuring out which way to go if you already have a direction. So if the service gives you GPS, you should also be trying to locate the address on a map JIC-SHTF! and you discover the GPS is screwy. No way you can explain to your U/C that the pt died because you were on the other side of your coverage area because the GPS went screwy and not get fired when it wasn't service issued in the first place.

I would also like to see fish-eye backup cameras on all the buses. There are just too many times when I can't get out of the back to ground guide the bus into a parking spot. It's ridiculous not to have a backup camera. Again, used in part with your mirrors (responsibly) it is a great tool.

And that's the thing, they'll eventually become tools in our toolbox, it's just a matter of teaching people good user habits.

CAMedicJohn

Forum Probie
We have used them on our transport rigs in S.F. The new people don't know the city that well and it helps them get to know the districts, hospitals, and conv. homes. I have a alpine touch screen in my bus but it doesn't get used that often. I have work my district for 4 years and know most of it by heart. But on occasion an address will throw me and it comes in handy.

Just my 2 cents... Hey where's my change.....

LOLOLOLOL

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
our squad just bought 4 tom toms, 1 for the flycar, another for the captians car and the other 2 for our 2 rigs, and they work great, there have only been a few times, very few times that they have messed up but we corrected it and have had no problems so far, they really help because we mutual aid nearby districts and a lot of people only know the roads in our districts and not others, I also have one for my car, because I 1st respond and it works great

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a meeting tonight, I'm going to bring it up again. If they refuse, I think I might just invest in my own and take it with me on calls. That'll show 'em! :rolleyes:

This is intresting. When I started for the company I work for, GPS was not planned for our trucks.

I use the TOM TOM 1. I carry it everywhere. Each day when I would go into our HQ building to get my truck assignment, I would have my GPS with me. First the supervisors played with it. Then the OPS MGR saw it and played with it. Then one day our owner was there and he took me and the OPS MGR out to the truck. He had our OPS MGR call out addresses. I programmed my GPS, while he found it in the map book. Every single time I could program my GPS faster than he could find the street in the mapbook. Considering our pretty stringent repsonse time requirements under our contract, this minute saved was a HUGH appeal to him.

He then put a couple different GPS's in the supervisors vehicle, the QRV's, and the OPS MGR's vehicle.

And now, we are getting a system that works along with dispatch. So instead of sending an alphanumeric page to a pager, it will go to the GPS and program the fastest route for us.

Of course, all the people who played with mine and then went and bought their own for use on the trucks are now kicking themselves. But theirs will come in handy other places as well.

medic8613

Forum Crew Member
I recently got a new Jeep with GPS built in, and use it responding to calls. The only downside is mine does not allow input while the car is moving, and there is no way to turn this "safety feature" off. This is only a problem when dispatch screws it up and gives out the wrong street name. My GPS does allow me to set a hospital as my destination while driving, but this would really only be useful if I was transporting patient in my POV, which I am of course, not doing.

GPS shouldn't be a substitute for knowing your coverage area. You should know the best ways to the hospitals, which streets have lots of traffic and when, but if you get sent to a back road or somewhere outside of your normal coverage area, it is a valuable tool.

russ899

Forum Probie
Yep, agree with the above.

Im a tech buff, but from experience in the field GPS's do fail, for many reasons, and when on a call, it can waist time.

Know your area, region, know how to read a map, and have a good sense of direction

stonez

Forum Crew Member
I agree. Know your area, know how to read a map, and use a Garmin!!!!
Sometimes GPS systems take you a round-a-bout way but they will get you there eventually.

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
I was told that we had them for a while in our area, but they're not put on the units now unless you bring one. Reason was people were relying too much on the GPS which wasn't always updated or accurate. So yeah knowing the area is best (which I'm still learning). I think it's a good tool though. But be able to do without it if the need arises :)