1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Got my Paramedic...now what?

Discussion in 'Military/Tactical/Wilderness EMS' started by rhstanford, Sep 11, 2016.

1. rhstanford

rhstanford Forum Ride Along

Education:
    Paramedic
    So I just finished my paramedic course, passed the NREMT, got my state certification and got a bag full of stuff. Now what? I work for a law enforcement agency so running EMS calls isn't my first priority. I finished my paramedic course and I realize that I don't know very much about being a good competent medic. My desire is to find some online training material so that I can continue to increase my knowledge base. Does anyone have any suggestions? I work 50 hours a week, have three kids, a wife and I am working on my Bachelors degree so I need stuff that is flexible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. DEmedic

DEmedic Baaaa!

Education:
    Paramedic
    You'll never be a competent medic until you see lots of patients and practice in the field. Good luck.

VentMonkey likes this.
  3. ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0 B.S. paramedicine, NRP, CCEMT-P Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    There are plenty of CME sites (like distance cme for example) and review books on amazon, but in all honestly you will need experience. Imagine if I became a cop somehow but only graduated the academy and never went to work and had zero experience.

Why did you become a paramedic and what are your goals for doing so?

4. rhstanford

rhstanford Forum Ride Along

Education:
    Paramedic

5. STXmedic

STXmedic Forum Burnout Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Podcasts, books (some good ones listed here) and Online video education/FOAMed stuff will help you stay current on knowledge. But unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath on being polished without actual experience.

VentMonkey likes this.
  6. Sr Dingdong

Sr Dingdong Forum Probie

Khan academy has a lot of videos on A&P, pathophysiology and also pharmacology I think, that I have found to be very good at explaining normal and abnormal processes in the body and much help alongside my books.
    Two other resources I would recommend are Andrew Wolf and Armando Hasudungan on youtube.
    If you get a good foundation of solid understanding of these subjects you will get more out of your later experience and clinical placements, as you will to a much larger degree understand what it is that you see and why it is happening. And that is key to become a good paramedic.

7. NysEms2117

NysEms2117 Parole officer/EMT

Education:
    EMT
    I AM NOT A MEDIC, however i just got my EMT cert, i work with state parole, and have a girlfriend at home(no kids). I am currently "applying" for the local sheriffs office EMS unit(applying is in quotes because nepotism yay!). They do a ton of part time stuff, which ends up fitting my schedule really really well as a supplement, an excerpt from their website: ("As one of the leading agencies in the region, the EMS unit teams life saving treatments (such as intubation, IV medications, and defibrillation) with highly trained professionals to ensure fast and critical care is available, twenty four hours a day. In addition to responding to 911 calls, the EMS unit provides personnel to support other specialty teams with the Sheriff's Office, such as the Search and Rescue Team (SRT) and Emergency Response Team (ERT).")
    edit: feel free to pm for more details