Got into Paramedic School & Got a Ticket Today

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
So, how big of a deal is a non-moving violation cell phone ticket that causes no points when it comes to getting hired? I had one in 2011, and I guess that wasn't enough to keep me from getting another one. I just moved back to California from Florida, and there its legal to talk on the phone. Hadn't come to mind yet that you can't do that here, until an officer reminded me about an hour ago with a ticket. Ironically enough I was talking to a friend about how I got into paramedic school this morning. Obviously two tickets for the same thing looks awful, and it is awful, and then the whole thought of "you're going to be a paramedic and help with emergencies yet you're willing to cause one for being on your phone?" sunk it, so I already, and deservedly, feel like crap about it.. I'm just wondering how major of an issue its going to be for getting hired in a little over a year.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
You'll be fine. Just don't get another one any time soon. If they ask about it say you made a mistake.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
If it didn't cause any points on your license I doubt they will even care.

The reason companies don't want you to have multiple moving violations is because if you have to many points against you, often times their insurance won't cover you to operate their ambulances.

OP
OP
Shelby

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
Thanks to both of you for the input. I had a little panic attack about my career being over before it started lol. Just seems like, from an employer's point of view, if you didn't learn the first time, what means you won't do it a third time? I just pulled up my driving record though and the first one isn't even showing up so live and learn I guess. Maybe that ticket saved a life in the future.

Angel

Paramedic
It won't show on your 3 year history but it will on you 10 year history (h6)
Most companies have the policy of one accident or point within the last 3 years or anything combination of the 2.

Only one employer (out of like 5) asked about my accident and speeding ticket (the circumstances) and I had no issues being hired. Also keep in mind as a medic you will do most or all of the patient care so very little if any of the driving so it could work end up not being an issue.

OP
OP
Shelby

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the info. And ^^ thanks again for helping me get set up for the skills testing!