got a good one for ya....

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
dispatched priority 2 ( no lights or sirens) to a nursing home for a woman that was described to the dispatcher as twitching on and off for the past hour. I radioed back and asked if she was seizing. dispatch said the nurses said no. fine. i go priority 2 and take my time. 30 seconds later dispatch asked how far out i was. told them eta 15 minutes. dispatch calls again 2 minutes later. "where are you the nursong home called again." told dispatch im upgrading to priority one and ill be there in 5 minutes. i get to the nursing home, get in the elevator and start down the hallway.....what do you think i see ?

85yo/f in a chair in the hallway seizing as if she wanted to jump out of her own skin. First words out of my mouth. "unit xxx send medics to my location" the rn's looked at me like i had ten heads. they said BUT shes alert....i said WHAT ??? walked to the patient and said MAM CAN YOU HEAR ME !!!! she responded YES !! OH NO !!! kept repeating oh no ! man i was thrown for a loop. an alert seizing patient. even the medics were stumped. she seized all the way to the hospital not stopping. luckily the doctors were able to tell us it was a febrile seizure but a very rare kind where the patient has no muscular control but is alert x2. scarey stuff.

upon arrival vitals - irregular rythm 120bpm, resp 28 irregular, temp 103, cant give you a bp it was near impossible while seizing the medics got it with their portable machine. o2 sat 85% on non-rebreather 15lpm. patient was given an IV by medics with an injection of ativan. patient seizures subsided very slightly but not much.

discuss.....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Extrapyramidal side effects of medication.. Parkinson, or maybe even true seizure activity since there is over 100 different types of seizures.

R/r 911

WCFASmike

Forum Probie
thats so weird im in jersey and had almost the same call, except with out the weird seizure.

OP
OP
Mercy4Angels

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
ended up being a rare type of seizure where the patient is alert during the seizure but cant control his/her body function. but they can talk back to you. scarey stuff..

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I missed your original post. I've never heard of this. Does anyone have any additional information?

OP
OP
Mercy4Angels

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
ill try to get the name of it the next time i am in that ER and see that doc. let me tell ya i was initially confused at first cause she was seizing and when i yelled her name she said help me ! oh no ! i asked her whats going on and she said I DONT KNOW HELP !!!