Good pharmacology books

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
I'm starting paramedic school in a few months and I've been trying to brush up on some subjects that I think may potentially give me problems in school. So far I've gotten a couple 12 lead EKG books but I'm looking for a good pharm book. Any suggestions?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm a fan of Katzung Pharmacology. Lippincott has a good book as well, and I believe there's a pharm book by Jeff Guy also.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Other good ones are:

Lippincott's Introductory Clinical Pharmacology
Lippincott's Pharmacology Reviews
Principles of Pharmacology: The Pathophysiologic Basis of Drug Action

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
I used Dr Jeffrey guy's book all throughout medic school. It is a great resource and he makes everything so easy to understand. It was my most useful book throughout school.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Might be a little advanced for a paramedic student - the ones I mentioned before are probably better choices for a first pharm text - but another good book is Pharmacology & Physiology in Anesthetic Practice by Stoelting.

As the title suggests, it is written for anesthetists, but with lots of good info on sedatives, analgesics, NMB's, autonomic meds, etc. I think it's a good book for the motivated paramedic to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Halothane, if you're familiar with Katzung, does it go into significantly more depth or is it fairly comparable?

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
That series is what I used in med school. Some of it may be overkill but I think it was very clinically oriented and relevant.

Do you mean Katzung?

I find it so-so. Clear-ish, but in a kinda gray zone as far as depth -- not comprehensive enough to be a good reference, but not accessible enough to be a good overview.

Chisholm is awesome for pharmacological management strategies (and a pretty solid run-through on the phys and patho too), but probably not what you want for medic school.

I haven't read Jeff Guy's book, but he does great stuff. One of the things to consider is that you want a book commensurate with your own background; it won't be much good if you have an awesome resource that presumes you've taken 18 credits of biosciences you actually haven't.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Halothane, if you're familiar with Katzung, does it go into significantly more depth or is it fairly comparable?

I'm not familiar with Katzung.

The Stoelting text assumes a basic understanding of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics; it spends little time covering those general principle. It is more focused on providing in-depth information about the specific drugs in each class.

The phys section is good, too. Not as detailed as a dedicated medical physiology text (Guyton & Hall and Ganong's are both popular, though I prefer Rhoades, as it is plenty in depth but easier reading), but solid.