'Good' Medic schools?

mikie

Forum Lurker
Where would one go to find a 'good' medic program?

I'm looking to go to paramedic (from basic) and would like to be enrolled in a good program (good education and clinical experience).

I've heard Seattle has a good program?

Is this like Med school's reputations? Is there a 'Harvard' of medic schools?

Thanks!

ckrump

Forum Probie
Paramedic School

There is an excellent program in Jamestown, ND through MedTrain. I can send you information. If interested, send me your email address and I can get your mailing address in a private email.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would recommend that anyone interested in Paramedic programs be sure they are accredited by CAAHEP or CoAEMSP (check their web sites for educational facilities). These are national accreditation's that EMS programs have met formal criteria. The NREMT will require such by 2012 for testing NREMT/P.

R/r 911

ckrump

Forum Probie
Accredited

MedTrain is an accredited training center with an excellent program and great clinical support.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
PROFESSIONAL AMBULANCE runs an excellent Paramedic Program, which though is in it's infancy, has outstanding instructors. Want to be a smart, thinking Paramedic? Go for them.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would also add if possible be sure that it is associated with a college to obtain at the least an associate degree. I predict within a few years many states will differentiate between a degree and non-degree (similar to Texas) as some states now require degree type to obtain a license.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I would also add if possible be sure that it is associated with a college to obtain at the least an associate degree. I predict within a few years many states will differentiate between a degree and non-degree (similar to Texas) as some states now require degree type to obtain a license.

R/r 911

Rid,
Which states been added to list with Oregon for the degree?

The problem with classes offered by private ambulance and educational services it that their "credits" do not transfer toward a degree. A few hours might be offered for the licensure itself but that is about all.

When a program states they are accredited but does not list CAAHEP or CoAEMSP, they are probably referring to their accreditation through a votech or private post-secondary education board. That is not the same.

Emt /b/

Forum Crew Member
PROFESSIONAL AMBULANCE runs an excellent Paramedic Program, which though is in it's infancy, has outstanding instructors. Want to be a smart, thinking Paramedic? Go for them.

I am definitely considering doing my medic through them, as they are the closest option to me by far (other than Northeastern but I can only imagine how much they'd charge.)

Do you have any idea if they are doing the program next year?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

firecoins

IFT Puppet
St. Vincent's in NYC is good. I am a student their now. Its a hospital based program at a trauma 1 facility. New York Methodist is also a good hospital based program.

If you need a degree based program, there are a couple of good ones in the NY area. Westchester Community College, Rockland Community College, LaGuardia Community College (Queens, NY) and Boro of Manhattan Community College. All are good. However, they are al in NY without housing and housing in NY is $$$.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Do you have any idea if they are doing the program next year?
They run two programs a year. They cost less than 10,000 dollars and are much better than Northeastern's Program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Gulp! $10,000 and our guys gripe about $3400 for a whole degree and $3000 for a private or vo-tech without the degree (both start EMT to finish Paramedic)

R/r 911

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Gulp! $10,000 and our guys gripe about $3400 for a whole degree and $3000 for a private or vo-tech without the degree (both start EMT to finish Paramedic)

R/r 911

I have spent 21,000 dollars to become a Paramedic, and that's just in tuition.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
I spent $10,000 for just paramedic school last year at the University of New Mexico's EMS Academy. It helps justify the cost the fact that I have an opportunity to get both a BS & AS in EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I spent $10,000 for just paramedic school last year at the University of New Mexico's EMS Academy. It helps justify the cost the fact that I have an opportunity to get both a BS & AS in EMS.

Exactly!

It all depends on whether you are making an investment for a career or a job.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Exactly!

It all depends on whether you are making an investment for a career or a job. Jobs come and go.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
i didnt even know you could get a BS in EMS

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Rid,
Which states been added to list with Oregon for the degree?

The problem with classes offered by private ambulance and educational services it that their "credits" do not transfer toward a degree. A few hours might be offered for the licensure itself but that is about all.

When a program states they are accredited but does not list CAAHEP or CoAEMSP, they are probably referring to their accreditation through a votech or private post-secondary education board. That is not the same.
If I recall correctly, Kansas of all places. (somewhere in the mid-west at least) A third state is supposedly going to be making the switch in the near future, but I'll be damned if I can remember which one or where I heard that.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
consider www.fmambulance.com it is where i am going currently, the reason i chose this program is because all through out your lecture part, you are also doing field and clinical work at the same time, the average student in this program has almost double the hours in the field/clinical setting as the classroom. approx. 600 class hours and 1000-1200 clinical. we have excellent clinical sites here and i am grateful for them. plus all the skills and assessments for the DOT requirements are performed on live humans, you go to OR's to intubate, you start IV's in the trucks and ER rooms, you perform all your assessments on live human patients in the ER's, and field. so thats why i like the program