good CE Classes for BLS

medic 4-2

Forum Probie
what are some good CE CLasses for BLS?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If you need numbers for hrs the old faithful HIPPA, BSI etc.. if you want interesting ones, I suggest crime scene preservation, burn injuries, documentation ( this will please your boss)

There are many out there..

Good luck,
Ridryder 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
We are having an intresting one here soon... "Officer involved shootings" (Belive this is 'cops getting shot').

In PA as an EMT you must have 24 hours every 3 years. 12 of the 24 must be "bona fide medical/trauma" credits... You can't take EVOC and beginer and advanced blue-light polishing for the recert, you must learn about treating OD's, BTLS / PHTLS counts as medical/trauma, so some will do BTLS or PHTLS every two years, and something else (like EVOC), and they have their 24 hours....

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
emts and the crime scene
common medications and what they mean to you
advanced ob/gyn for the basic emt
als bls interface
paramedic assist
phtls/btls
communications
documentation
evoc/cevo
hazmat
geri/pedi/psyc emergencies
street drugs and their coimplications

these are just some of the courses i've taken. there are more. if you just need hours, the old standbys always work(osha, bbp, teaching credits) but some of these courses were really fun and informative

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I very much enjoyed PHTLS. Because of my former work schedule, I was way short on the monthly EMS drills the FD does last year, so I took a weekend PHTLS class through the UCLA/Daniel Freeman Hospital Paramedic school (which was open to BLS too). Not only did I get to work with some great responders from other agencies (both BLS and ALS), but it put trauma into a whole new, cohesive perspective for me. I've used quite a few of the tricks I learned there.

mine-rescue-emt

Forum Ride Along
I have a subscription to the ceu site on JEMS;

www.mywebce.com

It's provided to all of our team members at the mine I work. I try to do one of the courses every couple of weeks or so. copy them to a word file, save 'em and print 'em. That way I can read them through at my leisure and I have a file of them.

Some are kind of ho-hum, some are pretty interesting. I think a year's sub. will run about $70.

Well worth the money, even if it didn't come out of my pocket.

Beegers

Forum Crew Member
By me the local training center offers EMS in Death Investigation and Crime Scene Response, CBRNE (WMD) Awareness, and I'm looking to take the Paramedic asst course soon when I find a facility or corps teaching it.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Jb78emt@Oct 4 2005, 02:55 PM
I'm looking to take the Paramedic asst course soon when I find a facility or corps teaching it.
Go to college for it... you'll learn more.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Oct 4 2005, 06:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Oct 4 2005, 06:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jb78emt@Oct 4 2005, 02:55 PM
I'm looking to take the Paramedic asst course soon when I find a facility or corps teaching it.
Go to college for it... you'll learn more. [/b][/quote]
Medic assistant... not medic!

My county issues all EMT's who go to their 8 hour class a "holy crap" kit.... gas mask with CBRN filters, tyvex suits, detector paper, etc.... And you get con ed!

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Oct 4 2005, 10:48 PM

My county issues all EMT's who go to their 8 hour class a "holy crap" kit.... gas mask with CBRN filters, tyvex suits, detector paper, etc.... And you get con ed!
Jon, what County are you running out of that has the 8 hr "Holy Crap" Class?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtff99+Oct 10 2005, 07:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emtff99 @ Oct 10 2005, 07:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Oct 4 2005, 10:48 PM

Jon, what County are you running out of that has the 8 hr "Holy Crap" Class? [/b][/quote]
Chester County.... it is the class put on by the Greater Philadelphia Joint Terrorism Task Force.

Our county refers to them as "milennium" kits.... because they contain the MSA millenium gas mask with NBC filters, tyvex suits, chem tape, boots, gloves, the "whole nine yards."

Jon

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
In Indiana we have a EMT-B recert class that covers all necessary topics in a few weeks of class. This is set up for those lazy folk who put off their recerts and CE paperwork until it is pretty much too late. My EMT class will let me sit in and assist with class to get the hours and coverage for the skills. Also- remember FF's, your MVC extrication classes count as EMS hours and can count as immobilization skills check offs.

In Indiana they require us to have 40 hours every 2 years not including our CPR certification (this does include 6 hrs A+R)

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Oct 12 2005, 09:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Oct 12 2005, 09:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by emtff99@Oct 10 2005, 07:16 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon
@Oct 4 2005, 10:48 PM

Jon, what County are you running out of that has the 8 hr "Holy Crap" Class?
Chester County.... it is the class put on by the Greater Philadelphia Joint Terrorism Task Force.

Our county refers to them as "milennium" kits.... because they contain the MSA millenium gas mask with NBC filters, tyvex suits, chem tape, boots, gloves, the "whole nine yards."

Jon [/b][/quote]
Ok,, NW Pa Counties have nothing of the sort at all. Guess being 2 hrs from Clevelnad, Pittsubrgh & Buffalo we dont count at all. LOL

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtff99@Nov 28 2005, 07:26 PM

Ok,, NW Pa Counties have nothing of the sort at all. Guess being 2 hrs from Clevelnad, Pittsubrgh & Buffalo we dont count at all. LOL
Greater Philly CTTF is Philly, Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware and Chester counties, mostly - All less than an hour from Philly.

your "local" CTTF should have funding for a program like this, they probably haven't gotten their stuff in order yet, though.

jon

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Nov 28 2005, 09:36 PM

Greater Philly CTTF is Philly, Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware and Chester counties, mostly - All less than an hour from Philly.

your "local" CTTF should have funding for a program like this, they probably haven't gotten their stuff in order yet, though.

jon
More than likely they have not got anything in order yet. Emmco West is about 10 years behind back further than the Commonwealth is. I am still "fighting" with them (Emmco West) to accept my 24 CEUs from the Pa DOH online site, they dont believe it exsists at all. :eek: