Glasgow coma scale question

RedheadErin

Forum Crew Member
I am confused about the Glasgow Coma Scale motor response section. My book says:

6-Obeys command
5-Localizes pain
4-Withdraws from pain
3-Flexion (pain)
2-Extension (pain)
1-None

What do the phrases "Localizes pain," "Flexion (pain)", and "Extension (pain)" mean?

Thanks!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Hope I don't teach it to you the wrong way. I have never been 100% sure of myself with this one, but this is how I roll.

6 - obeys command
5 - appropriate reacts to pain / purposeful movement
4 - inappropriately reacts to pain
3 - decorticated posture (mummy arms)
2 - decerebrated posture (arms at side)
1 - no response to pain

Example of 5 is if they don't follow commands, you do the trapezius pinch, and they move their arm towards where you are squeezing at to smack off your hand. Another example is if they don't follow commands, you palpate their abdomen, and they start to guard their abdomen.

Flexion (decorticate posture) and extension (decerebrate posture) looks like this.

388_391_2.jpg

I believe I read from paramedicine.com a tip like

6 - OBEYS
5 - TOWARDS (pain)
4 - AWAY (pain)
3 - IN
2 - OUT
1 - NONE

The arms are going IN (towards) the midline in #3, and they are goint OUT (to the side) away from midline in #2. It's a posture. #5 is going TOWARDS the source of pain. #4 is going AWAY from the source pain.

Edit Found the page I was talking with paramedice.com. They stole the same image I used! Coincidences.

http://www.paramedicine.com/pmc/AVPU.html

There was actually TOWARDS and AWAY in regard to just the arms or whole body. Meh, I was close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

RedheadErin

Forum Crew Member
Thanks! That was helpful and the link even more so.