Give me your thoughts

futuremedic99

Forum Ride Along
Ok, well I'm new to this lol. But I am a student in high school. I am going to school to be a paramedic. I have my bls and am currently taking an EMR class. Anyway I'm writing an essay on stress for EMS personnel. I was wondering if I could have some thoughts. Effective stress management preventatives and techniques. Thank you.
-Maria

VentMonkey

Family Guy
What DE said, OP. I like your enthusiasm, but maybe get your EMT see if you like it then decide if you want to continue on to paramedic.

I'm all for high schooler having goals, but take your essay seriously. It is a good topic to write a paper on, and a very serious (probably more so than any book will ever emphasize) reality to this job.

OP
OP
futuremedic99

futuremedic99

Forum Ride Along
I'm all for high schooler having goals, but take your essay seriously. It is a good topic to write a paper on, and a very serious reality to this job.[/QUOTE]
Of course. The toll stress has on EMS personnel is very serious. I am taking this essay very serious also. I wasn't trying to offend anyone.. I am excited about my future and the career that I am going for. Just trying to get as much facts and sources for it, as I can. But I will probably stay an emt for a while until I feel I am very comfortable and then continue my education up to paramedic.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I wasn't trying to offend anyone.
Oh, you didn't offend anyone; you asked for our thoughts, and these are them:).

My high school days are long removed, and you'll find many of the more seasoned EMS folks tend to be very direct; particularly the paramedics, it comes with time. Think, some are old enough to be your parents.

That said, always do your best for your patients.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Really, as a EMS provider, you need to take care of yourself as well as you care for your patients.

Exercise, use alcohol in moderation (if at all) eat well and have someone to talk to when you need it.

Those simple steps will start you on the right road to help you have a long, healthy career in EMS or whatever you choose.

OP
OP
futuremedic99

futuremedic99

Forum Ride Along
Oh, you didn't offend anyone; you asked for our thoughts, and these are them:).

My high school days are long removed, and you'll find many of the more seasoned EMS folks tend to be very direct; particularly the paramedics, it comes with time. Think, some are old enough to be your parents.

That said, always do your best for your patients.
Thank you very much! I hope to learn to be direct. I appreciate it, a lot.

OP
OP
futuremedic99

futuremedic99

Forum Ride Along
Really, as a EMS provider, you need to take care of yourself as well as you care for your patients.

Exercise, use alcohol in moderation (if at all) eat well and have someone to talk to when you need it.

Those simple steps will start you on the right road to help you have a long, healthy career in EMS or whatever you choose.
Thank you, I did base a lot of my essay on personal wellness. A healthy lifestyle makes for better management of stress. I appreciate the thoughts.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Lift heavy things and put them down until you hurt so good. Eat yummy food that isn't a big Mac. Don't smoke. Monsters are not a water substitute. Sleep. Talk when you need to.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My high school days are long, long, long, looooonnnnnggggg removed

Fixed it for you grandpa ;)

OP, I'm a little confused. BLS as in what exactly? CPR and basic first aid?

Mimicking others first work as a EMT so you know if you want to cross the bridge to paramedic. As far as stress relief, again mimicking others, google is your friend. Alcohol as a stress reliever is a no-go, that just leads to even more problems in the long run. Exercise is always been a good stress reliever for me. People cope and deal with stress differently, what works for me may or may not work for you.

CALEMT

But it has what medics crave...

Glad I kicked that craving. Coffee is my stimulate of choice. As my pharm teacher calls monsters: ethylmethly-****-in-a-can.

CALEMT

it's what just about every medic student thrives on.

Who has two thumbs, is a medic student, and doesn't thrive on monsters. This guy. Don't ask me why because I wouldn't be able to give you an answer.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Glad I kicked that craving. Coffee is my stimulate of choice. As my pharm teacher calls monsters: ethylmethly-****-in-a-can.
Same here. I haven't had one since October. Was easily drinking 2-3/day, plus coffee. Now it's just coffee, and not even as much as I had been drinking with the energy drinks.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Lol, man you all are outrageous. I drink one coffee, or Rockstar a morning that's usually about all. Anymore and I get a headache.