Getting the job

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You'd be hard pressed to get all of the "how do I become a flight medic..." and "what did you do to prepare..." questions and commentary in one thread. Nevertheless, this thread can serve for that purpose. The greatest question I had and I see a lot on the forum is, "Am I qualified?"

There are a lot of barriers to becoming a flight medic - on purpose. It is competitive - on purpose. A lot of people who desire to be a flight medic simply aren't qualified.

So, ask away or share your stories of you got where you are or are getting where you're going. Flight medics are notorious for being on top of their game, and if you're reading online EMS forums and researching how to be better at what we do... Well then I'd venture to say you're on the right track.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I was given the opportunity to fly with my current program roughly 5 years ago, so I came out, did a ride a long, and started training.

Much to my dismay, after about 2 months of training it didn't seem as if things were clicking. Reluctantly, I talked to our program director, and we both agreed I could give it another shot later on down the road.

About 4 years later, one of our then CCT ground paramedics took the FP-C, and remarked how hard it was. This intrigued me. What's so tough about this test? I thought.

So, roughly 7 years in as a street paramedic, and after training and precepting for several years I felt as though I was in a rut, and figured what the heck, time to give this test a shot.

I found the course the paramedic (who was the first in our company, btw) had taken to prep for my FP-C, studied, studied, then when I was tired of studying... I studied some more. I passed it on the first shot.

Once I got my cert, I sat on it a bit more, but felt like it was sort of a waste. Fast forward several years later, I caught up to our company's CCT program manager again, and asked if I could get my feet wet, even on the ground. Honestly? I just wanted to learn critical care in the prehospital environment.

He eventually hired me, I then drug my veteran EMT ( one of the best in our company, fwiw) with me, we did ground CCT for about a year before I was informed of a flight paramedic spot.

In the midst of all of this, I tried for several years to get hired on with the 3 other big name flight programs in my state. It has been a very long and hard road, no doubt, but if this is your goal, you'll make it work.

Competetive? Absolutely. Impossible? Never.

Don't give up, always take opportunities to learn more (I plan on eventually getting my bachelors degree), and most of all keep your sense of humility, and remain humble.

At the end of the day it is still a job, albeit a "cool" one. It is also inherently dangerous. Listen to those who came before you, and ask questions when you aren't sure.

As far as being "on top of our game"? Yes, our program is selective, as most are, and can afford to be. This job tends to yield the most "Type-A" personalities in our field, albeit, also typically more mature and well versed in the way of not only prehospital paramedicine, but also life in general, or so it seems to me.

Good luck to any, and all who are on the same journey I was for several years, and as always, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I was given the opportunity to fly with my current program roughly 5 years ago, so I came out, did a ride a long, and started training.

Much to my dismay, after about 2 months of training it didn't seem as if things were clicking. Reluctantly, I talked to our program director, and we both agreed I could give it another shot later on down the road.

Could you please be a bit more specific ? You mentioned that you've been offered a flight spot (still being a ground medic), did a ride along, and started training. Is it a regular general practice or system specific ? What exactly did not click and why ? Was it a system sponsored programme, or did you have to find an FP-C school on your own ? What would you say made you more competitive (years on the job aside) ?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Could you please be a bit more specific ? You mentioned that you've been offered a flight spot (still being a ground medic), did a ride along, and started training. Is it a regular general practice or system specific ? What exactly did not click and why ? Was it a system sponsored programme, or did you have to find an FP-C school on your own ? What would you say made you more competitive (years on the job aside) ?
Absolutely...

1. The first time I was offered the chance to promote to our CCT (flight) program I was working in our "ground" metro Bakersfield 911 system with no CCT experience. It was a simple promotion. No, generally it isn't common to be offered this at our company/ program. They keep their eye on all of their employees, and typically select employees based on merit, conduct, reliability, competency, etc.

As far as other programs, I can't say for sure how each one goes about hiring their flight paramedics. I will say, it does pay to know people in the industry, just like other career fields. It's smaller than people think, and everyone knows one another the longer you do this job it seems.

2. Well I had a fairly solid grasp on being a 911 paramedic, for me it was fine tuning things, perhaps "seeing" a bit more on the streets in terms of a variety of calls. The radios and safety aspect are a huge part of what we do; not to mention working with a nurse partner in a similar fashion to an P/B, but being able to "up your game" so to speak, and function efficiently in a very face paced, and at times a confined environment. For some it clicks sooner rather than later, but in my personal experience, it seems right around the 8-10 year paramedic mark you're pretty well-rounded.

3. The FP-C is not a school, it's an exam you sit in on much like the NR, but it pertains to flight critical care paramedicine. At the time we paid out of pocket for this exam, as do many beforehand to market themselves (answers question number 4...sorta). My program will now pay for a prep course and the exam once you're a CCT employee.

4. The FP-C helped, maturity, being a family man believe it or not (yes you can be single and still get hired; this is what helped me), a degree, the alphabet soup of certs helps, experience as a solid paramedic as well.

Specific enough?...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
So if I may, I would like to turn the table a bit on this thread and ask those who are currently seeking, or would at some point like to go the flight route...why?

Why do you want to fly? Is it because it seems "cool"? Is it "the chicks" (LOL's)? Do you know what this line of work entails? Are you an aeronautical nerd? How serious are you about applying for said jobs? Are you willing to relocate? I would love to hear from any soon to be, future, or prospective flight candidates about their aspirations behind wanting to be a flight paramedic, and/ or nurse. Many seem to be wrapped around the "awe" of the job, but what truly is the attraction to any of you?...

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
So if I may, I would like to turn the table a bit on this thread and ask those who are currently seeking, or would at some point like to go the flight route...why?

Why do you want to fly? Is it because it seems "cool"? Is it "the chicks" (LOL's)? Do you know what this line of work entails? Are you an aeronautical nerd? How serious are you about applying for said jobs? Are you willing to relocate? I would love to hear from any soon to be, future, or prospective flight candidates about their aspirations behind wanting to be a flight paramedic, and/ or nurse. Many seem to be wrapped around the "awe" of the job, but what truly is the attraction to any of you?...

At some point after i get my BSN, i feel flight is a POTENTIAL route for me. 1. I'm going to try to work with my buddy(unlikely, but hell we can try lol) 2. I have ever so quickly learned that EMS in general is not "trauma junkie, save lives stuff" and i feel like HEMS is more of truly using your "specific set of skills" to help people(did not mean to sound like Liam Neeson). 3. I also feel that at some point i would need a change from an ER setting, however for me it may be different because i am EMS/Healthcare as a side gig (nor am i even a nurse yet). 4. No relocation, however there are multiple (3+ flight companies within an "acceptable" commuting distance for myself).
Now to go step by step with your questions: if i was doing cool jobs i would have joined the rangers, or something along those lines, I have a girlfriend(hopefully soon to be fiance), I think know what it entails mainly.. I am not an aeronautical nerd by any means, I cannot answer seriousness accurately at this time because i have to become an RN and get some experience first :)!

Qulevrius

1. Non-stationary, high priority job.
2. Critical care (whether RN or NRP) - expanded knowledge & scope.
3. More potential for professional growth.
4. Relocation is quite possible, although the decision has to be mutual with the significant other.

As for the coolness factor - yeah well, nomex suits and trinkets are cool to impress college chics with, but I'm past that stage. One thing is certain, pushing (even slightly) beyond the regular ground EMS description makes a good role model for kids.

P.S. What's an aeronautical nerd ? Is it like Harry Potter on a broom ?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
1. Non-stationary, high priority job.
2. Critical care (whether RN or NRP) - expanded knowledge & scope.
3. More potential for professional growth.
4. Relocation is quite possible, although the decision has to be mutual with the significant other.

As for the coolness factor - yeah well, nomex suits and trinkets are cool to impress college chics with, but I'm past that stage. One thing is certain, pushing (even slightly) beyond the regular ground EMS description makes a good role model for kids.

P.S. What's an aeronautical nerd ? Is it like Harry Potter on a broom ?
Some people get really into the flying aspect of the job, and/ or become pilots as well as paramedics and/ or RN's. As am I way passed that stage in my life as well, though it does still get an occasional "tee hee" out of me to see how "cool" my girls think daddy's job is, and this is only because I know this stage in their lives will pass soon enough:(.

Qulevrius

Some people get really into the flying aspect of the job, and/ or become pilots as well as paramedics and/ or RN's. As am I way passed that stage in my life as well, though it does still get an occasional "tee hee" out of me to see how "cool" my girls think daddy's job is, and this is only because I know this stage in their lives will pass soon enough:(.

Oh, and don't forget the impending Zombie Apocalypse. Better to be best prepared when it comes, innit ?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
1. It's another stepping stone to learning something new and becoming better. I've heard that test is a kick in the junk, so I want to 1. to be a better provider and 2. because I like a challenge.

2. Only kind of. I know it's not all MVC's and intense scene calls, but the CCT aspect seems like a good learning experience too. Other than that? Nope.

3. Nope, don't care much at all about being in the air.

4. Right now, not very. It's not even within my realm of possibilities or immediate priorities right now. Its not even within my next 5 year focus. If I am qualified down the road, I would look into it more.

5. Not really. By the time I could give it a serious attempt, I won't really want to relocate any more than I will have by then. I also don't mind waiting it out wherever I end up for a local place.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I know it's not all MVC's and intense scene calls, but the CCT aspect seems like a good learning experience too.
It truly isn't, and after nearly a decade of "exciting" calls as a ground paramedic, I am glad to learn more in the later stages of many of the higher acuity patients that we transport in this environment, ailments. I'm not saying I don't enjoy a good, well-ran scene call, but the critical care aspect cannot be emphasized enough, as well as the importance of understanding the proper approach at this level of prehospital care. Thanks guys, for feedback, I look forward to others input as well.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Oh, and don't forget the impending Zombie Apocalypse. Better to be best prepared when it comes, innit ?
Always included in the daily aircrew briefs... ;)
"Where we going if.....?"

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
2. Only kind of. I know it's not all MVC's and intense scene calls, but the CCT aspect seems like a good learning experience too. Other than that? Nope.

Each base will have different call volumes and types. My base is actually 80% scene calls with high percentage being trauma. We do not do as many flights as other bases but do more procedures and longer flight times. The busiest base is almost all IFT with very short flight times and not many interventions.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
My story (part of it)....

I strive for the top, always. Those who are happy with status quo do not belong in HEMS. If you cannot find ways to constantly challenge yourself, allow others to challenge you and also keep a degree of humbleness when you do not know something then you will/should fail at trying to enter flight. You simply are not what the business wants or needs.

After 10 years or so as a ground Paramedic and having dabbled in CCT ground, I decided I wanted to fly. This mostly developed as a result of me taking a job in a Level 1 Trauma Center and being part of the in house responding team. I was exposed to a level of care I had never experienced or been a part of before. I was making rounds on patients, seeing results of our prehospital work and it's outcomes, rubbing elbows with the brightest, educated and most skilled providers I had ever seen. I felt like I was a fake among them. I could not believe I was right there beside them, like I was cheating the system and would be ousted as soon as they knew how little I knew. I was qualified to be there and they knew I was light on knowledge... but they challenged me, I allowed them and welcomed them to do so and I challenged myself. Classes, courses and questions...lots and lots of questions.

I became certified as a Flight Paramedic on my own dime. I tried and tried to get on the local programs however it was very competitive and most of the closest providers already knew who they would hire IF an opening occurred as those people have been on the roster for years. It is a tight community but do not let that discourage you. It can be done. I wanted to fly, so I did what was necessary. I looked out of my state. I decided I was willing to move to accomplish what I wanted in my professional life.

I moved from Florida to Alaska for my first flight job. I was a paycheck to paycheck paramedic with a wife and three kids, however I made the move through research and planning. I saved up some money as best I could and I researched the heck out of the place I was applying. I knew they were desperate for help so I negotiated a sign on bonus and moving assistance. This was AFTER they flew me up for an in person interview and site visit. I made myself look good on paper and then I did what I do in person. It worked and I finally got my first job. It was extremely challenging and a rewarding experience.

After a year at that gig, I then put feelers out to other companies. I now had my pick of where I wanted to go as I had multiple offers and top notch experience. Very few Flight Medics get the opportunity I had...long flight times, remote, limited resources or no resources. I could very easily have a critical trauma or STEMI for HOURS....throw in the harsh environment and it was insane times.

I then took a flight job for a company opening a new location in a nicer, less harsh part of Alaska. So in addition to my flights, I got a taste of management, leadership, business development and marketing. I paid attention. I was in the community teaching classes, doing public inservices, and "selling" our company to the public. This job broadened my experiences as it was FW, RW, Float Plane and Boat all rolled into one. :)

I then went to work for an outfit on the Indian reservation in Arizona. While interesting, I was NOT a good fit for them and we parted ways after a couple months. Ironically, that company a few years back purchased the above company. They have since been bought out now as well.

After this gig I then experienced military contracting for the first time. I took a job in the remote Philippines performing RW HEMS supporting the US Military. I added some new skill sets which included the use of NVGs and Hoist. America was neck deep in Iraq and Afghanistan and were tapping out on resources and many people are not aware there are still many Al Qeuda friendly training camps in the southern remote islands of the PI which has a split population of Catholic (thanks Spain) and Islam.

While on this gig I learned about other opportunities in other parts of the world and I eventually put myself out on those as well. I went to being a remote medic and basically all my prior critical care and flight experience assisted me with this transition. There was a distinct difference between the medics on site who were just ground medics versus those of us with hospital or flight background.

After a few years, I started my own company, opened my own facilities and then started a second company (a Medevac company). So I now own and operate those enterprises and all my prior flight experience and knowledge have helped tremendously.

Set no limitations for yourself...never take no as an answer and when you get a no, ask yourself why and how you can change yourself in order to get a yes next time.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

I strive for the top, always. Those who are happy with status quo do not belong in HEMS. If you cannot find ways to constantly challenge yourself, allow others to challenge you and also keep a degree of humbleness when you do not know something then you will/should fail at trying to enter flight. You simply are not what the business wants or needs.

After 10 years or so as a ground Paramedic and having dabbled in CCT ground, I decided I wanted to fly. This mostly developed as a result of me taking a job in a Level 1 Trauma Center and being part of the in house responding team. I was exposed to a level of care I had never experienced or been a part of before. I was making rounds on patients, seeing results of our prehospital work and it's outcomes, rubbing elbows with the brightest, educated and most skilled providers I had ever seen. I felt like I was a fake among them. I could not believe I was right there beside them, like I was cheating the system and would be ousted as soon as they knew how little I knew. I was qualified to be there and they knew I was light on knowledge... but they challenged me, I allowed them and welcomed them to do so and I challenged myself. Classes, courses and questions...lots and lots of questions.

I became certified as a Flight Paramedic on my own dime. I tried and tried to get on the local programs however it was very competitive and most of the closest providers already knew who they would hire IF an opening occurred as those people have been on the roster for years. It is a tight community but do not let that discourage you. It can be done. I wanted to fly, so I did what was necessary. I looked out of my state. I decided I was willing to move to accomplish what I wanted in my professional life.

I moved from Florida to Alaska for my first flight job. I was a paycheck to paycheck paramedic with a wife and three kids, however I made the move through research and planning. I saved up some money as best I could and I researched the heck out of the place I was applying. I knew they were desperate for help so I negotiated a sign on bonus and moving assistance. This was AFTER they flew me up for an in person interview and site visit. I made myself look good on paper and then I did what I do in person. It worked and I finally got my first job. It was extremely challenging and a rewarding experience.

After a year at that gig, I then put feelers out to other companies. I now had my pick of where I wanted to go as I had multiple offers and top notch experience. Very few Flight Medics get the opportunity I had...long flight times, remote, limited resources or no resources. I could very easily have a critical trauma or STEMI for HOURS....throw in the harsh environment and it was insane times.

I then took a flight job for a company opening a new location in a nicer, less harsh part of Alaska. So in addition to my flights, I got a taste of management, leadership, business development and marketing. I paid attention. I was in the community teaching classes, doing public inservices, and "selling" our company to the public. This job broadened my experiences as it was FW, RW, Float Plane and Boat all rolled into one. :)

I then went to work for an outfit on the Indian reservation in Arizona. While interesting, I was NOT a good fit for them and we parted ways after a couple months. Ironically, that company a few years back purchased the above company. They have since been bought out now as well.

After this gig I then experienced military contracting for the first time. I took a job in the remote Philippines performing RW HEMS supporting the US Military. I added some new skill sets which included the use of NVGs and Hoist. America was neck deep in Iraq and Afghanistan and were tapping out on resources and many people are not aware there are still many Al Qeuda friendly training camps in the southern remote islands of the PI which has a split population of Catholic (thanks Spain) and Islam.

While on this gig I learned about other opportunities in other parts of the world and I eventually put myself out on those as well. I went to being a remote medic and basically all my prior critical care and flight experience assisted me with this transition. There was a distinct difference between the medics on site who were just ground medics versus those of us with hospital or flight background.

After a few years, I started my own company, opened my own facilities and then started a second company (a Medevac company). So I now own and operate those enterprises and all my prior flight experience and knowledge have helped tremendously.

Set no limitations for yourself...never take no as an answer and when you get a no, ask yourself why and how you can change yourself in order to get a yes next time.
Stellar job! Well done!

VentMonkey

Family Guy

Agreed, no idea how I missed this but an excellent post nonetheless!