Getting hired AMR Colorado

Galen Stanger

Forum Probie
Hey guys. Fresh blood!

I just finished my EMT corse. And just pasted the NREMT. My fingerprint background check for my state cert is being process.

How do I go about getting hired with AMR. In Longmont or Boulder?
And what can I do to make that happen. What do I still need to do?

Anyone have knoladge of the Longmont or Boulder system. Or just in Colorado.

Thanks for any advice, or insight!

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I don't have any specific insights into AMRs hiring.

That said, I have worked in Boulder County when Pridemark had the county contract. I would definitely shoot for Boulder and avoid Longmont like the plague.

AFAIK, in addition to system differences, Boulder is doing 12-hour shifts and Longmont is on 48s.

OP
OP
G

Galen Stanger

Forum Probie
I don't have any specific insights into AMRs hiring.

That said, I have worked in Boulder County when Pridemark had the county contract. I would definitely shoot for Boulder and avoid Longmont like the plague.

AFAIK, in addition to system differences, Boulder is doing 12-hour shifts and Longmont is on 48s.
Yeah. I like the idea of the 48 hour shift. I'm not looking toward to setting in an ambo for 12 hours. I'd rather be in a fire house.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Pretty typical big company job hiring. As a new EMT you might not go straight to Longmont, I think they are part of the Boulder operation and that is obviously a more desirable station than regular street cars. The Boulder county ambulances are still on 48s and in stations (there are two I think, with one having an AMR medic and Boulder Rural Fire EMT).

I am not sure how difficult it is to get hired with Boulder AMR with no experience. You might consider also applying to AMR Denver (easy to get hired) and doing an internal transfer.

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
When I got hired at AMR (Colorado Springs) I had no actual EMS experience and it was my first job in the industry. The process was pretty straight forward: Apply online, go take a generic EMT-B (pass said test with an 80% or better), and go to an interview. They offered me a starting position as a wheelchair van driver and said that I could "promote" to being on a 911 ambulance after approx 6 months on the van (it actually took about 3.5 months).There was a two week "new hire" academy that covered a variety of topics from HR material to street operations info, etc. After that it was off to the races.... and lots of dialysis centers :(

OP
OP
G

Galen Stanger

Forum Probie
When I got hired at AMR (Colorado Springs) I had no actual EMS experience and it was my first job in the industry. The process was pretty straight forward: Apply online, go take a generic EMT-B (pass said test with an 80% or better), and go to an interview. They offered me a starting position as a wheelchair van driver and said that I could "promote" to being on a 911 ambulance after approx 6 months on the van (it actually took about 3.5 months).There was a two week "new hire" academy that covered a variety of topics from HR material to street operations info, etc. After that it was off to the races.... and lots of dialysis centers :(

Awesome thanks! Good info!

Mmedic

Forum Ride Along
I was hired by AMR (pueblo/canon city) back in August. I went to school up in MN and moved in July. If you'd like my personal opinion about the service and whatnot, I'll elaborate via pm.

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
How did you like AMR Colorado Springs? Was it a pretty good operation with a decent scope of practice and good working environment or was it the typical AMR setup where you're just a number to them?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
How did you like AMR Colorado Springs? Was it a pretty good operation with a decent scope of practice and good working environment or was it the typical AMR setup where you're just a number to them?
I can't speak for @captaindepth, and haven't worked for AMR in nearly a decade, but last I heard this was one of their better ops.

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
I can't speak for @captaindepth, and haven't worked for AMR in nearly a decade, but last I heard this was one of their better ops.
I've always wondered what AMR was like in Colorado being that their corporate offices were so close. I feel like it would be harder for them to hide the issues that our so cal divisions have when the head hanchos are a stones throw away lol

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I've always wondered what AMR was like in Colorado being that their corporate offices were so close. I feel like it would be harder for them to hide the issues that our so cal divisions have when the head hanchos are a stones throw away lol
As have I. Perhaps he, or @Tigger can provide some more insight, but from what I have gathered they're well respected there, and have a good rapport with other first responders within their operating area. Hopefully that's somewhat helpful.

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
As have I. Perhaps he, or @Tigger can provide some more insight, but from what I have gathered they're well respected there, and have a good rapport with other first responders within their operating area. Hopefully that's somewhat helpful.
I was just kind of curious about the protocols. I noticed the protocols just refer to either AHA references or reference pain medication/antiemetic, etc. I was curious if AMR stocks the rigs with all the meds listed in the allowed medication list or if they just stock bare minimum concentrations. I'm looking for a place that has a fair amount of treatment options and isn't just a one protocol one medication kind of place. If that makes sense lol

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm looking for a place that has a fair amount of treatment options and isn't just a one protocol one medication kind of place. If that makes sense lol
We're still a solid option as far as California EMS goes, and looking for good people (yes, I totally did the stereotypical Kern County Cult thing just there).

What we do in the field is fairly open to our discretion so long as we're within our protocols, and are willing to explain our rationale.

PM me if you're truly interested.

And yeah, yeah AMR Santa Barbara is "nicer" than Bakersfield's EOA's, then again, so is SLA in SLO county in regards to coverage areas.

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
We're still a solid option as far as California EMS goes, and looking for good people (yes, I totally did the stereotypical Kern County Cult thing just there).

What we do in the field is fairly open to our discretion so long as we're within our protocols, and are willing to explain our rationale.

PM me if you're truly interested.

And yeah, yeah AMR Santa Barbara is "nicer" than Bakersfield's EOA's, then again, so is SLA in SLO county in regards to coverage areas.
I worked with a medic who came from Hall not too long ago and he absolutely loved it over there lol SB is a beautiful area but I'll definitely agree that Kern's protocols are better. I want to go to a truly advanced place with field RSI, vents on ground rigs, large formularies etc and don't want to have to be on a CCT rig to do the cool stuff lol