Getting EMT-Basic -

Maui Fire

Forum Ride Along
I am currently a senior in college and will be getting my bachelors in Fire Service Administration in June, 2010.

My problem is I live on the island of Maui and the next fire test wont be for another year or so.

My questions, Does anyone know if there are EMT-basic classes on the island of Maui or in Hawaii for that matter?

Also, I attend Western Oregon University. Does any Oregon firefighters or EMT people know if there is an EMT basic certification class close to the school?

thanks

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I am currently a senior in college and will be getting my bachelors in Fire Service Administration in June, 2010.

My problem is I live on the island of Maui and the next fire test wont be for another year or so.

My questions, Does anyone know if there are EMT-basic classes on the island of Maui or in Hawaii for that matter?

Also, I attend Western Oregon University. Does any Oregon firefighters or EMT people know if there is an EMT basic certification class close to the school?

thanks

Are you saying that you want to become an EMT for just a year while you wait to get onto the FD? If that's the case, skip it and do something else. It shouldn't be something you do just to pass the time.

OP
OP
M

Maui Fire

Forum Ride Along
i just want to use that year to get my emt basic so I will be better prepared when the fire test does come around.

I want to be a well rounded fire firefighter.

sorry for the confusing text.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
i just want to use that year to get my emt basic so I will be better prepared when the fire test does come around.

I want to be a well rounded fire firefighter.

sorry for the confusing text.

Does the FD you're trying to get on run EMS? I'm assuming they do.

OP
OP
M

Maui Fire

Forum Ride Along
firefighting is changing these days and every firefighter should have an Emergency medical background. Since a lot of instances deal with life saving situations.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
firefighting is changing these days and every firefighter should have an Emergency medical background. Since a lot of instances deal with life saving situations.

That is very true. What I mean was does your FD run an ambulance?

No matter what you do, make sure that you don't just get the certificate or license (don't know what you would get, it varies by region and state) and then just stop learning. Even if you just stay a basic because your FD doesn't do ALS, make sure you still continue your education by taking extra classes, doing extra research, etc.

And I commend you for wanting to make yourself a better firefighter and provider.

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
Maui Fire,
EMT training in Hawaii is offered at Kapiolani Community College on Oahu. you can find more information on their website at http://kcc.hawaii.edu/object/emt.html. I am not sure if they offer training on neighbor islands. Also, Hawaii has a lot of requirements for reciprocity between states so if you plan to work in Hawaii as an EMT, it would probably be easier to get certified in Hawaii.