Getting back into the life

Lopester

Forum Probie
I was a paramedic for a short while and I'm realizing that I never should have left the Career. I unfortunately never passed the psychomotor aspect of the NREMT (failed the ekg station and 1 Med Scenario) and would like some advise for someone who is about to start a refresher course and go through the motions again.
Thanks all...

ego

Forum Crew Member
We're about do you live? ' there are some very good training courses for the psychomotor available.

I did one in TX 240 dollars 2 day intensive. 14/20 pass first time 19/20 passes same day retest. Would recommend to anyone as the NREMT is quite expensive to fail and needs atleast 3 weeks notice now, so it a big time sink to fail.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You were a paramedic and it lapsed? Or you weren't a paramedic because you didn't pass the test? Your post makes it seem like both, but your routes may be different depending on whether you were actually a paramedic or not (cert in hand). And how long has it been since you've been a paramedic/student?

OP
OP
Lopester

Lopester

Forum Probie
I was a medic in Illinois. You don't need to be NREMT certified to be a medic there. I stopped in 2013. NREMT said I just have to take a refresh course and start the application process over.

OP
OP
Lopester

Lopester

Forum Probie
We're about do you live? ' there are some very good training courses for the psychomotor available.

I did one in TX 240 dollars 2 day intensive. 14/20 pass first time 19/20 passes same day retest. Would recommend to anyone as the NREMT is quite expensive to fail and needs atleast 3 weeks notice now, so it a big time sink to fail.
I live in ohio now (which is why I need the NREMT registration) just picked up an online refresher for a little over 300. Wish me luck

ego

Forum Crew Member
Good luck.

I really recommend getting a buddy to do done fake pracTice for the skills. It's easy to make a small critical failure on the manakins that someone could catch before the exam.

Re Palpating the injection site or forgetting to remove the turn will fail you straight up.

A common one is forgetting to secure the tube and the supraglottic also

OP
OP
Lopester

Lopester

Forum Probie
Good luck.

I really recommend getting a buddy to do done fake pracTice for the skills. It's easy to make a small critical failure on the manakins that someone could catch before the exam.

Re Palpating the injection site or forgetting to remove the turn will fail you straight up.

A common one is forgetting to secure the tube and the supraglottic also
Thanks for the adcice.. I dont really know anyone where I am but I'm planning on visiting the local FD to talk with the medics and see about volunteer fire fighting to get re acclimated to being around EMS personnel

Medic81vd

Forum Ride Along
If it's just your skills I think you'll be fine as long as you get a chance to practice if you're rusty. Practice with the NREMT papers too!!! If you also need to test, like I did ( lapsed ) just remember BLS before ALS!! I nailed that test after working 18 years on the streets! Nope! Failed that bad boy!!!! I was devastated!! Talked it over with my original instructor who gave us the NREMT test with a pencil and said I needed to think like a new grad not like a seasoned medic. Took it again 15 days later and thought through it like a new grad and I DID nail it : ) Good luck!