Get a Mac question for you IT guys

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I have a MacBook Pro and the iMac linked with MobileMe. Is there a way to set up a folder that will sync one folder on both computers so they will always have the same files and documents? No I am not trying to do this over the Internet, but only on my local network when I am at home.

Lately I have been finding myself searching both computers for a document that I had started and can’t remember which computer has the document. I am working on different projects at the same time and it would be nice to keep everything together on both computers.

When I was using a PC, I was able to use a briefcase on a thumb drive to keep them synced, does Mac have something like this? I really don’t want to keep going back and forth with a thumb drive is why I am trying to sync the folders, but if that is the only way, then I guess that I am stuck.

Yah I know this has nothing to do with EMS, but I have a feeling there are a few IT members that might be able to help me. It is worth a shot.

Thanks

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you need the iMac to have the files when the MBP isn't around?

If you need the iMac to have the files only when the MBP is around, possibly you could do it with a shared folder. Have the folder on one of the computers (the MBP, let's say), then share that location with the iMac. As long as the MBP is on the network, the iMac will be able to see the folder and files.

On the other hand, if you need both computers to have access to the folder and files even when they're not both on the network, then perhaps using the internet is the way to go. With the Mobile Me service comes iDisk, 10 GB of online storage space. It's secure storage, but easy to get to; once the Mac itself is logged in to Mobile Me (which is normally done just one time, the first time, then this is stored and used automatically forever thereafter), you have access to iDisk through the Finder. If you put something on the iDisk on one computer, it's accessible to any other Mac that uses the same Mobile Me account.

nemedic

Forum Captain
as well as any iPhone, iTouch, or iPad linked to the MobileMe account.

EDIT: You have to download the iDisk app first. It's a free app IIRC

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
as well as any iPhone, iTouch, or iPad linked to the MobileMe account.

EDIT: You have to download the iDisk app first. It's a free app IIRC

Yeah, it's free.