GregWilliams

Forum Ride Along
Ill be 21 this upcoming Apirl and will have been graduated from HS for two years. In this two year spand I've grown to love the Paramedic/medical field and would want to pursue my studies in the profession. So in this upcoming summer semester at Sinclair community college, in Ohio I'll be enrolled in the EMT program; but I have absolutely any idea what that actually intails. I've been told an EMT is an overdressed being with the knowledge to use a basic first-aid. So I really need help on understanding the process on becoming a Paramedic. Experience input would also be great. Thanks.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
You need to tighten up your writing. That's gonna stop you from getting to paramedic school in the first place. You will be expected to write a lot of patient charts if you go on with this career too.

EMT school is pretty much the same everywhere, you learn the basics of human anatomy, the ABCs, first aid to address problems with the ABCs, how to use common equipment, how to approach a few examples of 911 calls, and then some. The minimum that you'll need to know.

It's not enough. Call up a local fire department or ambulance service that runs 911 calls for the chance to do a ride-along, so that you can see what the work is and ask more questions, and that also won't be enough.

I've been told an EMT is an overdressed being with the knowledge to use a basic first-aid.
If you make no effort to develop yourself while you're an EMT... Yeah, you're a driver that can do CPR. If you're intent on being a paramedic, your time as an EMT is preparation for that next step. You'll be a facet of the medical system, so you ought to learn how to deal with people problems and know how to work with the system.

For example:
You'll be taught in class about diabetic emergencies, a quick run down on why diabetics need sugar/insulin, what might happen if they miss a shot or meal, how to give a person sugar properly, and it will all be tied together with someone pretending to be a diabetic patient and you practicing your knowledge by treating them like a patient.

What usually isn't taught in class is that if you encounter a diabetic person, they might have no problem with suddenly punching the person in front of them with full force, and that you might have to stop the patient's spouse from getting too close because either of them don't know any better. While you're in class, you'll be hearing the terms BSI and "scene safety" a lot and there will be a lot of talk about how to manage a scene, but you will end up actually learning these things the hard way unless if you go out of your way to find people to help you learn these things and try to learn while outside of the job as well. Again, ask around and go find a place to do a ride-along.

To be more than a driver with band-aids, learn while you're not working as well. Use Google and start reading. Figure out the right people to ask your questions, whether its here or at school or work. Make the effort to NOT be that crappy EMT that thinks:
- Going 40 over the speed limit is helping the patient
- Oxygen doesn't hurt the patient
- You can calm down a panicked person by yelling at them to calm down
- That bagging a person is easy
- Threatening a patient by telling them you'll call the cops is acceptable
- That making a dead person's heart beat is a "save"...
- That their poorly written, unreadable chart is acceptable

...all of that crap will carry over to when you're a paramedic if paramedic school doesn't teach it out of you. You'll be in the same ambulances and your co-workers will be other medics and EMTs. Being willing to learn outside of the job (again, tighten up your writing), knowing how to approach vulnerable people, and knowing how to work within your system makes the professional. Before thinking about medic school, finish EMT school first and try to be that professional.

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Greg,

I was going to mention much of the same already stated. Communication is VERY important. I do realize that not everyone out there has perfect grammar or spelling skills, however in this day and age there is very little reason or excuse to allow these mistakes to present themselves. We have auto spell check. This does several things. First it highlights your error. Second, it allows you to fix it. Third, the most important reason...it allows you to LEARN what the mistake was so that you do not repeat it.

Please do not misconstrue this as bashing. You asked for input and spelling along with great communication is of extreme importance in every job, however in medical it is even more highlighted due to the fact you are documenting legal medical records and constantly interfacing with professional peers and other allied health professionals.

Put your best foot forward always. Spelling mistakes happen. Some people say...what does it matter, this is just a relaxed online forum anyways? Yes, they are correct. But not fixing errors tells me things about your character as well. If someone has no interest in correcting mistakes or doing it right the first time, it is an indicator that they are lazy or lack integrity. They simply do not care. And if I get that vibe from someone, I will personally do my best to deter them from EMS...none of us want more complacency within our ranks. We want the profession to thrive and grow and be respected for having a solid educational foundation.

I am very happy you are interested. You are asking questions. It is a great sign. Take the constructive feedback, read these forums, read the threads...ask many questions. There are a LOT of people on here who will give you solid advice. Some of it will be sugar coated and some will not. No matter how it is delivered, try to hear the message and grow from there.

Good Luck.