Fun times at the Evil Empire

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
So it has been brought to my attention that those shifts I pick up working on the rig must stop. I only work on the rig about once a week all overtime in a 911 service area and spend most of my time in operations. Stuck in an office for about the last year I keep sane by doing a shift on the rig. It also helps me fix a lot of issues from the inside as I have the perspective that most in operations no longer have. It has kinda made me think of going back full time to working on a rig. Brought it up with the operations manager and he said it's not gonna happen unless I take a pay cut. Wife doesn't like the idea of a pay cut cause it's substantial. Being a grown up sucks sometimes...

Summit

Critical Crazy
Why won't they let you pick up shifts?

OP
OP
Operations Guy

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
Why won't they let you pick up shifts?

I'm an exempt employee on salary and those shifts are hourly paid as a non exempt employee but based on my salary. I totally understand where they are coming from a money perspective. I think there is an underlying issue as well that some of the hourly shift supervisors don't like having a me around. I guess they view it as a threat to their power.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I call it damn valuable quality assurance and quite the opportunity to see things first hand to improve or fix.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Have them rewrite your job duty to include must work 1-2 shifts a month to aid in the ongoing support of a QA/QC program and to ensure your skills are current, you need to know so you can lead.
*This way it will simply be part of your regular salary...it sounds like your normal wages are enough and the extra shift was a nice OT check, but if your goal is to truly break up the monotony then have them make it a job requirement covered under your salary.

And it sounds like the culture within is in need of significant makeover if a shift supervisor feels any threat by a larger positioned person being around.

OP
OP
Operations Guy

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
I call it damn valuable quality assurance and quite the opportunity to see things first hand to improve or fix.

I totally agree. There where some issues that where fixed pretty quick once I brought them up in our meetings. There is a disconnect between shift supervisors and operations. Most of it stems from shift supervisors not wanting to raise issues with operations supervisors and managers. I will say that crews enjoy having me around cause I have no problem raising concerns on behalf of crews.

OP
OP
Operations Guy

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
I like your idea AK. Have them write it into my job duty. It works pretty good I feel from a QA/QC perspective. Trying to get more people in operations and management to go work on rigs would definitely be an eye opener. I think an overhaul is needed where operations rides out with crews already once a month across the whole empire. Would fix a lot of issues in a short time frame. I might just have to fire off some emails to regional management.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I like your idea AK. Have them write it into my job duty. It works pretty good I feel from a QA/QC perspective. Trying to get more people in operations and management to go work on rigs would definitely be an eye opener. I think an overhaul is needed where operations rides out with crews already once a month across the whole empire. Would fix a lot of issues in a short time frame. I might just have to fire off some emails to regional management.

It would be interesting to hear what they say.