Fueling the Fire - HEMS Crashes Investigative Piece

Summit

Critical Crazy
Really well done investigative piece on fuel bladders popping, crash and burn HEMS crashes

Warning, it is a heavy watch, especially if you know someone who has been in a HEMS crash.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
You couldn't pay me enough money to fly in an A-Star for any type of HEMS mission profile. There have been a huge spike in LTE accidents and post crash fires in that machine and it doesn't take a statistics person to realize they are a cheap airframe and being plopped down at an alarming rate. Both for new bases and as a replacement aircraft at programs feeling the financial crunch of trying to exist in an over-saturated industry. The old saying "you get what you pay for" does apply to helicopters.....I am sure everyone will want to "see the number's and the research behind those claims" and to those people I say go to the NTSB website. In the last few years I would say almost 75% if not greater HEMS crashes have involved A-Star's or single engine Bell's, which has almost the same exact fuel cell design. No one in the industry is physically being made to apply for a job at any certain company, or being manhandled in the aircraft for flights with marginal conditions. It's up to the crew member to make some decisions as to where they feel comfortable working and why. It's a job that has a high level of risk, however findings a place to work which purchases and takes everything available approach to minimize those risks is the key. Being a police officer, firefighter, EMS provider have risks. Hell I would argue driving my car onto the Capital Beltway is riskier then me going to work. At the end of the day I am comfortable with the fact I am flying in a twin engine aircraft with the highest level of redundancy, every available safety system, crashworthy fuel system, pilot training that far exceeds the normal standard requirements, and NVG's for all crew member's. Again, you can't take the risk out of the job, but my employer has attempted to provide us with every available feature to mitigate it. If you want to get involved in HEMS do your research, and don't just go applying at every single fly by night operation that exists. You have a choice where you work.......End of the day you fall out of the sky at 100 feet + you could be flying in an Abrams Tank and will still have fuel issues post crash, although it will not matter. One of those risks.....

Last edited:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Not so sure that the fire-resistant fuel systems would really make much difference in a majority of HEMS crashes. Many of them are CFIT at a fairly high speed and unlikely survivable.

Is it worth doing, though? Of course.

But what would make a much bigger impact is to just stop crashing in the first place.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Not so sure that the fire-resistant fuel systems would really make much difference in a majority of HEMS crashes. Many of them are CFIT at a fairly high speed and unlikely survivable.

Is it worth doing, though? Of course.

But what would make a much bigger impact is to just stop crashing in the first place.

Agree, that video just seems to focus heavily on the Colorado flight for life crash, which from the altitude they were at likely wouldn't have resulted in a post crash fire in other airframes.. But aside from that you're 110% correct. The industry needs a shake down from top to bottom..

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm guessing the focus so much on the Summit County crash because it was widely publicized, more so than most HEMS crashes and because it's the one that they have a comprehensive video of the incident that illustrates their point.

I'm fairly certain the AEL crash in OK would've been survivable as well had it not been for the fire. The crew did survive the crash if I remember correctly.

Either way I agree that fixing the fuel cell issue needs to be done but unless there's a systemic change in culture throughout the industry it is just another band-aid to try and manufacture the image that "we're changing and focusing on safety".