FTO pay and or stipend

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello,

Trying to do some research here, if you would not mind. Could you please help me out and answer the following questions.

1. Does your service pay FTOs? If so, how much and in what way?

2. What is the process to become an FTO at your service?

3. Are FTOs always paid their increased wage or stipend, or only when FTO(ing)?

4. How big of a role do FTOs play in your system?

5. What is the typical length of time an employee spends in their FTO time?

Thank you for your time,

Please list your service if possible. If you do not want to do it out in the open, then a PM works!

Thanks again.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
1. Paramedic FTO is a 2/hr shift differential. EMT-I is 1.50/hr and Paramedic Intern is 1/hr (I may have reversed EMT-I and Intern).

2. Besides the application process, interview and a protocol test we have an in house class and that's all that I know of.

3. FTOs only receive their differential for shifts with a trainee assigned to them.

4. Beyond their usual FTO duties they test new medical devices, side stream EtCO2 nasal cannulas for example, prior to our service placing them on every unit.

5. EMT-I is 3 weeks (12x12s or 9x16s) with the option for a 2 week extension with a different FTO. That doesn't include orientation and our "academy" time.

Paramedic is 6 weeks (24x12s or 18x16s) with up to a 3 or 4, sorry can't remember been out for too long, week extension with a different FTO. Again this doesn't include orientation or academy time.

PMed you.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Hello,

Trying to do some research here, if you would not mind. Could you please help me out and answer the following questions.

Thank you for your time,

Please list your service if possible. If you do not want to do it out in the open, then a PM works!

Thanks again.

$4 an hour more

Promotion by the chief

Always paid the increase rate

FTOs not only train new people but are also responsible for providing continuing education to all employees on new policy and procedure. They also are expected to do research and develop new policy for the service. They also do QA and maintain the ePCR program

First shift the new hire observes, second shift they are observed, third shift they get cleared to operate specialty apparatus, so 24 hrs or so. It's ultimately asst the FTOs discretion

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
1.) I believe it's $1-$3 more per hour.

2.) Interview and possibly a test (honestly not sure)

3.) We have FTOs who always get their pay increase regardless of if they have a trainee or not. We have FTEs who only get the increase when they have a trainee.

4.) They are in charge of all of our training and recert classes.

5.) Normal time is around 15 shifts for both medic and EMT.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
$4 an hour more

Promotion by the chief

Always paid the increase rate

FTOs not only train new people but are also responsible for providing continuing education to all employees on new policy and procedure. They also are expected to do research and develop new policy for the service. They also do QA and maintain the ePCR program

First shift the new hire observes, second shift they are observed, third shift they get cleared to operate specialty apparatus, so 24 hrs or so. It's ultimately asst the FTOs discretion

Really? Only 3 shifts?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Really? Only 3 shifts?

I know several companies who do that. Orientation will be ~2 days and then less than a handful of FTO shifts.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Hello,

At former service, no. at current service, you get an additional $1 per hour for every shift you are FTOing

at former service, just be on the truck long enough to get placed wtih a newbie. at current service, get the blessing from management and the training department after requesting it
only while FTOing

ehhhh, in theory you get to evaluate newbies. in reality, it's a joke.

at old place, 2 shifts as a third, and one as a second. at new place, 2-4 as a third and one as a second. new medics are perm partnered up with FTOs for about 6 months, but then the FTO doesn't get FTO pay

would rather not list the agencies.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Really? Only 3 shifts?

New employees must have a minimum 3 years of active 911 experience
HAZMAT/CBRNE, vehicle extrication to the operations level
Trench, collapse/shoring, confined space, water, and rope to awareness and their chapter 5 cert
PHTLS, PEPPS, LSI Operations, ICS 300, NJ Boat license

Then they must pass a written test as well as a Practical before the interview

These aren't new EMTs, if we are finding out they are bad EMTs during their FTO time we've failed as a hiring process

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Full time staff are generally only selected from our part time pool. Part time staff do six third rides (2 with each shift) and then can be released to work as a regular crew member. For new EMTs this may last longer or they may be restricted to only working with a supervisor or his designee. Part time medics need three years of previous experience so we don't typically have any issues with them once operational procedures are learned.

In the first six months to a year EMTs have a large binder of skills and procedures that they must demonstrate competency with. The full time staff are used as mentors, we don't have an FTO program given that we have 15 fulltime field staff. If you are fulltime, you are expected to be able to function as an FTO.