From another thread: Minors

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Whenever I get a call for a minor I know I'm in for the long-haul. Usually ALS will transport whoever needs to go, and I'm stuck babysitting the rest of the family until someone shows up. Sometimes that takes ten minutes, sometimes a few hours.

What's the deal, is there some trick you old-timers use? Do you send 'em all off to the hospital?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm not sure what you mean... That you send ped's patients first, older patients later?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Aug 10 2005, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure what you mean... That you send ped's patients first, older patients later?
Title: "Minors"

Take em all. We're not paid to go to the patients home and babysit, people could need help while were sitting around playing video games with a three year old. If ya can't have them off to PD, take them to the ER and had them responsibility.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've had several calls where the parent is sick, calls 911, and wants someone else to come pick up the kids. That means I stand there waiting while someone, sometimes from another county, comes and gets the kids.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Here everyone goes to the ER and babysitters/picking up the kids is arranged by the nurses there.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Ahhh... I re-read it like 12 times and now I get it. :)

Babysitting other children until someone arrives - that's what PD is for. No joke, no put down to PD, but here, if it's not a medical emergency, we don't hang around. PD has to stay there until either a relative or child protective services shows up.

If it's possible, we will transport the other kids with the parent. A lot of times, depending on severity and how many other kids there are, we won't take the parent with us - they drive in with their other children while we take only the patient. Usually ends up being less traumatic for everyone involved in the long run.