Frequency that EMTs who are sued?

Caspar

Forum Crew Member
How often does this happen? Also, would the whole crew be under question or just the EMT "in charge" of the call?

Last edited:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
not often. usually the agency is the recipient of the lawsuit, because they have the deeper pockets.

but the individuals can be named. and when a lawsuit is filed, the attorneys usually sue everyone, and make you prove you aren't liable.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Sure, anybody can get sued. I'm not exactly sure how many EMS providers get sued, but I'd wager it's not as many as some might think. That said, for your own protection, liability insurance is not a bad idea.

As a pretty decent blog has said:

1) Answer the radio when the dispatcher calls you. Or the page, or the phone, depending on how you are dispatched.

2) Go to the call as quickly as safely possible.

3) Be courteous to the patient and family.

4) Take them to the hospital.

5) Keep them warm, as in make sure they are comfortable and have a blanket.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
two other points I would like to add. Stolen from said decent blog post:

Even if your employer provides legal counsel, be certain of who they represent. Your legal interests and your employer’s legal interests may not necessarily be one in the same.
meaning, if your employers attorney can get them off the hook by putting the blame solely on you, they will, and they have done their job successfully.

and “Nice” doctors don’t get sued (as often)
http://pilchermd.com/2015/06/03/nice-doctors-dont-get-sued-as-often/

the same concept applies to EMS. if your patients like you, they are less likely to sue you, regardless of if you screw up.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
the same concept applies to EMS. if your patients like you, they are less likely to sue you, regardless of if you screw up.
I was about to say this - and I couldn't find the study! This is totally right.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It all goes back to the, "people don't remember the medicine, they remember how you made them feel."

Even if the care is bad, they will still love you if you're nice.

OP
OP
C

Caspar

Forum Crew Member
I am also a volunteer so in my state that also protects me even more?

Last edited:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I am also a volunteer so in my state that also protects me even more?
Potentially - can't say for sure. This is dependent on state law, I believe.