Freaking out?

emtstation600

Forum Probie
We are called to a 5 day old diff breathing. we get there fire in on scene. the baby is crying and in no distress. we ask mom what is going on. she says he is foaming at the mouth. we look and the baby is blowing bubbles. the baby then swallows and she freaks out and yell he just stopped breathing. we look at her and tell her he just swallowed the spit. we ask her if she is sure she wants us to transport the baby. she looks at us like we are dumb. so we transport. the unoffical report we got from this nurse is "he is just blowing bubbles" this is her 3rd child. Do ya think she is freaking out a lil too much?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Maybe the other kids have a medical history so she is a tad bit oversensitive? Or maybe she was having a bad day, who knows. Then there's always the extreme: Munchausen by Proxy.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Dec 7 2005, 08:17 PM
Maybe the other kids have a medical history so she is a tad bit oversensitive? Or maybe she was having a bad day, who knows. Then there's always the extreme: Munchausen by Proxy.
Or maybe she's psycho? :blink:

I MIGHT understand if it's her first child...When I first had my son he woke up at 3am every morning to be fed for the 1st 4 weeks. I knew nothing about babies, I only babysat once in my life and it was an 8 year old. I never planned on having kids and never was involved with one. In fact my son was the first baby I ever held.

Getting to the point, on one of these 3am nights I'm feeding him and all of a sudden his eyes roll back in his head, then he opens them wide and they looked pitch black, I couldn't see the whites at all, and he made funny mouth movements. I must have had a bad dream right before he woke me up for the feeding because I freaked, I swear to God I thought he was possessed. I ran into the room to wake up my husband and told him, I was absolutely convinced (Btw, I'm catholic, but I don't normally believe that demons are running around possessing people).
My husband told me I was insane, he picked up Grey, and woke him up, Grey was just dreaming and making funny faces in his sleep.

3rd child blowing bubbles? I think someones overacting a bit.

OP
OP
E

emtstation600

Forum Probie
I forgot to add this but the mom did have her other 2 kids there and they were prolly about 8 and 6 and i asked who was going to watch them? she said she had her mom who was about 10 min away coming and just called them. so i started to call pd to the scene so we can take off and go to the hospital. that is what we do here is call PD to watch the kids till someone can get there and she wanted to wait on her mom to get there so i kind of think there was something else going on there? that is just weird dont you think if she was truly conserned that she would want us to get the baby to the ER faster than waiting on her mom?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Did you do an on scene psych eval on mom? Any evidence of drug use in the house?

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Originally posted by Chimpie@Dec 8 2005, 06:08 AM
Did you do an on scene psych eval on mom? Any evidence of drug use in the house?
That is my question. There are several drugs that cause paranoia...........one of the most common is meth.

Without being on the scene it is hard to say. She could just be having some post-partum issues.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps she's highstrung. Has the panic button at the tip of her finger ready to push with a moments notice.

In which case, get ready for another call there....and another....and another

Not that I would know anything about being highstrung.....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Dec 7 2005, 07:17 PM
Then there's always the extreme: Munchausen by Proxy.
I had the same thought.

I also agree with Kip et al that some form of Act 64 activity could be involved.

(oops, my bad.... Act 64 is the section of the PA crimes code that covers drug violations. I've spent FAR too much time in front of the scanner recently).

Jon

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Munchausen by Proxy........... I am not so sure. Usually the kid really IS sick because the parent harms the child to obtain attention for themself or the child.

She could just be a fruit. :D

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Munchausen by Proxy is a very difficult case to prove, unless directly caught. Several episodes of " parent savng" child or or engorged in rescue/ hero behavior. Yes, te child is usually very ill from results of multiple ill treatments or behavior to the child.We currently just caught a mother on video injecting her child with e-coli (feces) into her I.V. line. She will be charged with child abuse, and endargement to her child, she has been dx. with Munchausen by proxy. The child is still in serious condition.

Be safe,
R/R 911

OP
OP
E

emtstation600

Forum Probie
i kind of think she is a psycho. and i never thought of it but maybe she might have Munchausen. She may have it at a lesser degree than some other ppl but this could be a real issue. if we keep getting called there for stuff like that we may have to question her sanity on this. thanks for the input i never thought of it

VinBin

Forum Captain
I had never heard of it the disorder (if we can call it that) until now, and after googling it and reading about it, I'm still amazed there exists such a condition...
Do people do all this just for attention!?!?

One of the sites reported that...

"When cameras were placed in some children's hospital rooms, some perpetrators were filmed switching medications, injecting children with urine to cause an infection, or placing drops of blood in urine specimens. One mother was taped injecting nail polish remover into her daughter's feeding tube. Another suffocated a child to the point of unconsciousness, then frantically rushed him to medical personnel for attention. "

Another question, do people who do this mainly come from high, mid, or low income level? And do they usually have insurance?

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by VinBin@Dec 10 2005, 05:59 AM
Another question, do people who do this mainly come from high, mid, or low income level? And do they usually have insurance?
I havent read to many studies on it, however as it is a psychiatric condition I would say it knows no financial lines or insurance coverage limitations.

VinBin

Forum Captain
Oh...the main reason I asked was because on one of the sites, it said that many of the people who do this like to feel like they have control and are able to manipulate those they vew as "higher" than them...Im guessing higher in the sense of income, status or such...

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
i hear a call go out on the scanner the other day, some lady called the cops and FD for a "burning" smell in her home, thing is that the day it happened, it had just gotten cold enough to need heat in the home. the dispatcher actually said "caller states she just turned the heat on"

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
daemonicusxx said:
i hear a call go out on the scanner the other day, some lady called the cops and FD for a "burning" smell in her home, thing is that the day it happened, it had just gotten cold enough to need heat in the home. the dispatcher actually said "caller states she just turned the heat on"

That happens a lot this time of year. We have TV commercials, spots, and in the news (and newspaper) where they tell us what to expect especially about the smell when turning on the heat because of the volume of 911 calls received about it.

Vin, I'm really suprised you've never heard of it before. I've seen countless programs on the "disorder" on Dicovery channel, etc. While I have, it never ceases to amaze me how and what these parents are actually capable of doing.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
We have an "odor" often at work... espicially this time of year, but also in the early spring. We have rooftoop HVAC units, and additional heating units throughout the building. When the extra heaters fire up, the heating coils that heat the air burn off the dust build-up on them. Causes some "Uhh.... it smells like something is burning near my cube" calls. We call facilities, they verify that the auxiliary unit is on, and all is good.

Jon