Freaking out think i may of caught tb

chickj0434

Forum Lieutenant
So went to go pick pt up from dialysis treatment and bring then back ti nursing home. when we got there pt stated he has been coughing up blood. saw some flem along with some blood tint to it. so we brought him to hospital to get checked out. been taking this guy to dialysis a few other times and he always halks up mucus and spits it out but this was the first time with blood. i dod not wear a mask or put the pt on a mask. pt is on oxygen therapy. now ik freaking out i could have tb. and also can i get in trouble if it ends up being tb and didnt tell the hospital. help im going crazy

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Dude chill out. Grab your textbook and look up the infectious disease section and read. Then go online and research infection risks and contact precautions. Pretty soon you will realize how much we are exposed to on a daily basis that doesn't get us sick.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
No, you won't get in trouble. Shaking hands with your co-workers and eating is probably as dangerous as what you have been exposed to.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
And if the PT does have active TB, you'll get a PPD to be sure. (You DO get a Mantoux every year, right?)

OP
OP
C

chickj0434

Forum Lieutenant
Would you guys of put a mask on. he complains of back pain. hes on oxygen all the time. and he doesnt really cough but more of hacks up and spits the flem or whatever it is out

VentMonkey

Family Guy
And if the PT does have active TB, you'll get a PPD to be sure. (You DO get a Mantoux every year, right?)
You mean they don't call it "the consumption" anymore? I would be more concerned with Paraquat poisoning, op. It's super common in The States...kidding!!! Reeeeeeeelaaaaaax...

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
PPD test is a mandatory TB test for all state jobs. Also they should be telling you if the patient comes back positive... For me they injected a little bubble under my skin told me come back in 3 days, and they had a result.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Would you guys of put a mask on. he complains of back pain. hes on oxygen all the time. and he doesnt really cough but more of hacks up and spits the flem or whatever it is out
YES, My motto is "whatever you have, i dont want" he starts coughing/hacking whatever he has in him, i start putting a mask on.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Looks like i messed up
Op, I'm gonna ask again as I think it's been asked before, and/ or you have had similar threads/ questions:

Are you being serious?

Also, what is your end goal? If it is healthcare, good luck.

OP
OP
C

chickj0434

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry if this sounds stupid guys i was just really worried. should i schedule a tb test? again he wasnt coughing all over the place he pretty much just does what yiu would do if yi were trying to hock a loogy

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Sorry if this sounds stupid guys i was just really worried. should i schedule a tb test? again he wasnt coughing all over the place he pretty much just does what yiu would do if yi were trying to hock a loogy
No need to apologize, but could you answer my question?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you not even slightly gotten over this fear you will get sick from something?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My personal advice? Get over this phobia ASAP, or find another line of work/ career. The fire department very much deals with the same communicable diseases as us (this somehow seems redundant).

Also, a little more food for thought:

You ever wonder how much crap they inhale when fighting fires the other 5-15% of the time they aren't in, and around othee communicable diseases?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
My personal advice? Get over this phobia ASAP, or find another line of work/ career. The fire department very much deals with the same communicable diseases as us (this somehow seems redundant).

Also, a little more food for thought:

You ever wonder how much crap they inhale when fighting fires the other 5-15% of the time they aren't in, and around othee communicable diseases?
Yay for yummy carcinogens!