Forum title

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Could we get a moderator to change the name of this sub forum to "Aeromedical Transport" or HEMS and Air Medical Transport

Our brothers and sisters on the fixed wing aircraft are just as skilled and highly trained as are HEMS crews. Though thought by some to be not as "cool" as the helicopter they often don't get the recognition they deserve.

I think in honor of the 3 crew and the patient killed in the fixed wing crash last night we should change the thread title to be all encompassing of Air Medical Transport which is a dangerous career field.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Or even "Critical Care", or something of the like; completely all encompassing.

I do agree with @SandpitMedic that many over glorify flight as HEMS only, while in fact prehospital critical care medicine includes ground, FW, and RW, all of which deal with extremely sick individuals, oftentimes much more than any "critical 911 call".

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Furthermore, perhaps more of the advanced medical discussions could be grouped into this section as well, thanks.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Well, it was designed for air medical. There is a CCT advanced medical discussion thread already. I was referring to air when I said all encompassing. A thread that could be for any air medical, not just HEMS exclusively or indicated.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Well, it was designed for air medical. There is a CCT advanced medical discussion thread already. I was referring to air when I said all encompassing. A thread that could be for any air medical, not just HEMS exclusively or indicated.
Yes, but perhaps moving that over here as well will help to further promote the higher standard of education (con-ed) required to enter in this field, and should someone be drawn, it's not for all the wrong reasons.

If anything you could always create a FW thread within this section:).

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
True true

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I hear ya though, man. I feel like the bushy-eyed newbs are often drawn to the "sexiness" of a helicopter landing at the scene of a call.

Heck, I am willing to bet there are people out there that still think that's all we do, but again, the fact of the matter is oftentimes depending on the airframe of said service a FW flight might be the only way to get a certain patient to a higher level of care (often including specialized equipment, teams, or both in-flight as well), not to mention their longer ranges for flights, and the capability to fly in weather many VFR programs won't.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Can we wait for some feedback on the possibility of changing it to: HEMS and Air Medical Transport?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Can we wait for some feedback on the possibility of changing it to: HEMS and Air Medical Transport?
Absolutely. I still feel the advanced medical discussion thread needs to be part of this as many/ most of the topics on there are of the critical care variety, which goes hand in hand with (civilian) flight paramedicine; just my $0.02.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
sure, lets make the change.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Thumbs up.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_0031.JPG

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Why just not "air ambulance"?

As an aside, I once had to tell somebody "no, I want the ambulance that goes in the sky with wings, not on the ground with wheels" and that seemed to curb their understanding problem.