Former EMT 6 years ago. To be an EMT again, should I do EMR (Responder) this Fall semester, then EMT-Refresher next spring? Or just skip EMR?

EMT2021

Forum Ride Along
This is a long post, I know.

Background:
6 years ago, I worked for several months as a EMT as a second job on the side while I held a full time career in a non-patient care field.
Currently I'm taking classes to apply for grad school in patient care in a couple years.
I will need patient care hours, of which being an EMT is seen as valuable experience. I want to be as prepared I can be for the EMT-Refresher class and potential EMT jobs next year.

Course offerings near me:
  • Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) is only offered Fall semester at the community college I'm going to. ⬅ Take?
  • Emergency Medical Technician Refresher (EMT-Refresher) is only offered the following Spring semester. ⬅ I will definitely take this.

Upsides of taking optional EMR:
Taking an EMR course would be only as a rigorous "'refresher course" before the official "EMT Refresher course" since I haven't worked in patient care for a long while.
Granted, I don't NEED to take EMR. I realize EMR has no significant official value for my own job prospects.

Downsides:
I'm taking a semi-full load of classes so adding another 3-unit class (EMR) will add more time spent on classes.

Therefore, what option would be better?
  1. Take EMR and then EMT-Refresher (making this EMT-Refresher class easier)
  2. Skip EMR entirely; instead plunge straight into EMT-Refresher (a bit as a fish out of water)
How valuable would doing work on an EMR course be? I do have a current NREMT which I've recertified every two years by computer test.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Sounds like a no-brainer. You were an EMT before, 5 years is not an eternity ago. Skip EMR, and just retake EMT.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So you were an EMT 5 years ago? Do you qualify to take a refresher class? After a certain amount of years you may not qualify for a refresher class.

OP
OP
E

EMT2021

Forum Ride Along
So you were an EMT 5 years ago? Do you qualify to take a refresher class? After a certain amount of years you may not qualify for a refresher class.

I do qualify for the EMT-Refresher class. NREMT certification is necessary for EMT-Refresher, and I've been taking my NREMT recertification every two years the past 5 years with the computer based NREMT and successfully passed each time.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
The only value EMR/FR offers is some basic medical training to people who are going to be there anyway(Fire/P.D. etc) but aren’t going to commit to EMT training or beyond. That is it’s purpose and it’s limitation. Unless you’re on a department that is making you take the class, or offering you a stipend for having taken it, don’t. Spend that time, money, and effort on achieving certification in something that will return your investment.

Note that I’m not saying FRs/EMRs are valueless. Quite the contrary. To the person that needs them, the first to arrive might be the most important player in the game. What I’m saying is that the training will ultimately be valueless to you. You already have knowledge in excess of their curriculum, so unless there’s money in it for you or some degree of liability protection you need or something, anything else that flips the math around.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So you have a valid NREMT card? Will your state not give you a new state card since your NR is still valid?

If not, skip the EMR, just take the refresher when it's offered.