Forced into an unwanted position.

phideux

Forum Captain
The agency I work for just came up with some new BS. According to them any medic crew member will now be forced into an 'Acting Crew Chief" Position. Whether they want to or not. On top of that, when we bid on our schedules the new "acting Crew chiefs" are limited on bidding for just 4 stations, everyone else can bid on 20 stations. These "Acting Crew Chiefs" will be the agencies floating/fill in people when someone takes leave/calls in sick. I just built up enough seniority to get the station assignment I wanted, and this new "Acting Crew Chief" assignment means a 2hr commute each way. Unless a crew chief dies/quits/gets fired/retires, there is no way to go from "acting crew chief" to crew chief, so we are stuck working these 4 stations indefinitely.
When I went through the hiring process I specifically told the hiring folks that I had absolutely no aspirations to move up in the organization, I'm not here for a career(I have my retirement funded, it kicks in in 14yrs) I am just here for a job for the next 15yrs. I love being a medic, am good at my job, and am reliable. Up until now I loved my job.
Anybody else ever hear of a situation like this??
Anybody else ever fight it successfully??
Can an agency force you into a position you don't want??
Can an agency force you into what amounts to be a promotion??
I don't know which way to turn, Fight or Flight?? I spent most of yesterday putting in apps elsewhere, but the only thing available is an ER job, or transport. I love working 911. Help.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Promotion by default. Sounds like this happened because whoever you work for doesn't offer enough incentives to attract people to these management positions.
Sounds pretty sucky. You're fire based I assume?

OP
OP
P

phideux

Forum Captain
It's not quite like that, there are no crew chief positions open. It's more of a plan to cut down on OT somehow, having these acting crew chiefs to fill in instead of calling in people for OT when a crew chief wants off. And no we're not fire based, we're stand alone EMS.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
First piece of advice, separating your thoughts into paragraphs is very helpful to readers.

Have you spoken with your supervisors? Are you municipality based. If you aren't there for a career, and they clearly need you since they felt you were the one they need promote, make it known that you have issues staying if this is the deal.

It's like buying a car, make them think you may walk out the door and go elsewhere but don't actually do it.

I say this lightly mind you, don't want to actually jeopardize your livelihood by being over aggressive.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
"Acting" supervisor positions just screw the workforce. Working for no pay increase as an "acting" anything is just the department's way to get what they want for free.

OP
OP
P

phideux

Forum Captain
"Acting" supervisor positions just screw the workforce. Working for no pay increase as an "acting" anything is just the department's way to get what they want for free.

I agree, plus the limited station assignments that we can bid on is ridiculous. On the one hand they want us to step up to benefit the county, but than penalize us by taking away 16 of the stations that we are allowed to work at. That alone just doubled my commute, and my gas budget. I used to love my job, but now??? I'm looking for a new job, Damn It.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Are we talking about like in the back of a VW?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't think a lot of people will catch that reference.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
abckidsmom has it perfect. If you had a union as I had you could quash it.

Acting or not, supervisor skills training and acting are a different class of employment. They require special training and experience, and it usually pays better; it also may have some downsides, such as limited opportunities as you cited, and less protection from dismissal if something goes wrong (After all, you where in charge).

Example: you wind up in court because of a wrongful maiming, death or disability. How do you personally justify accepting the shift working out of class without previous training in company supervisorial policies, and how can the company justify it as well?

Some people will see it as a step up, an ego boost, or a means to pad their resume. In my experience such people are use by management as hatchet wielders, rarely get any preferential promotions (unless it was done that way with promotion of an individual in mind beforehand), and are soon alienated from both admin and peers. Not bad for your next job application, if they want someone like that.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am trying to find the link but many moons ago I was involved in a similar situation. You need to search the employment labor laws, but there is something akin to "if you work in x position for x amount of time" then you must be officially paid that pay grade.

The time period is a long one to justify the law but it does benefit the employee. The employer I was with way back then knew the laws as well and they would "downgrade" people briefly so the consistency clause was not met.

I think there is a similar law with part timers being worked full time hours where if the employer does it for x amount of time, then he has to hire that person on as full time and extend all FT benefits.

Just food for thought and worth looking into as you may be able to force your employer to pay you a higher wage or you could use the information to prevent yourself from being "promoted".

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Looking forward to seeing that link.

A medic I know had been in an "acting" position for a long time, years even, not every day but consistently at least half the time. It's frustrating to be so needed and not promoted for real.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am searching as it was many years ago but it is not a federal law, it was a state one. So I would encourage the poster to search his state labor laws.

It was pretty stringent requirements to meet as you had to be in it consistently for a long period of time...not sure about your friend.

zmedic

Forum Captain
akflightmedic; said:
I think there is a similar law with part timers being worked full time hours where if the employer does it for x amount of time, then he has to hire that person on as full time and extend all FT benefits.

I think this is six months. I had a friend who was a wildland firefighter, who knew every year the whole crew would get fired at the six month mark, no matter how many fires there still were going because if they were employed longer the federal government would have to start paying them benefits.