For those of you who always asked "Am I too OLD"? RIP DAN WALKER

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have written about Dan many times over the years....the Legend became a paramedic at the age of 69 !!! He volunteered for many, many years at our County service and he voluntarily went through our fitness tests and out performed many of us. The guy was funny, he had stories, jokes, advice...the mad had life.

A legend passed from this earth yesterday.

Dan Walker, longtime memeber of DMAT FL-6 disaster team and volunteer Paramedic with Indian River County, passed quietly in his home. His life was anything but quiet.

-Dan was (and IS) a Marine.
-Served as a commissioned officer in the USMC and among many posts was the warden at a military prison in Germany.
-worked as a commercial diver in many areas including the North Sea.
-climbed mountains
-explored oceans
-went through paramedic school at the age of 69 for fun. FOR. FUN. (Just let that sink in)
-earned a Civil Engineering degree from Duke University (just the tip of the iceberg in his education)
-volunteered in third world countries assisting doctors and nurses.
-rode motorcycles into his 70s

Dan Walker.jpg

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Sounds like he was a force to be reckoned with. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, sorry to hear that. Sounds like quite a guy.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Sorry to hear, AK. He sounds like he was certainly a once in a lifetime kind of fellow, not to mention the epitome of true leadership.