For Los Angeles EMT's

DarksideIV

Forum Probie
Quick question for my fellow LA EMT's... I've only been in the game for about a month and a half now... and I wanted to clarify a rumor... are members of EMS services excused from jury duty? lol Had it today and just had it postponed but I was told by someone that were excused. Thanks :)

Hoofguy

Forum Crew Member
Just go, serve, and be part of the process. Don't try to weasel out of it, just go and do your part.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I couldn't find anything online about what factors will excuse people from jury duty for LA County. I do know that San Diego County does not excuse people from jury duty for being an EMT.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=13118

I know of no county that will excuse EMTs or Medics from Jury Duty, although if you read that above thread you will see that they are plenty of reasons why we could be excused, even if we are not (at times). I don't know why it would be assumed that just because you where a uniform with a patch on the arm and respond to emergencies, you would be exempt from Jury Duty; unless it is a county policy that practically no other area I know has. In CA for instance, Department of Corrections LEOs are not exempt, Firefighters are not exempt, and not even some sworn Sheriff's Officials are exempt (such as SAR and Community Services Patrollers). if you want out of Jury Duty... commit a felony and do time... otherwise try some of the suggestions in the above thread. However, might I suggest that you ask the folks at Jury Duty about such rumors... people who could intelligently answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Quick question for my fellow LA EMT's... I've only been in the game for about a month and a half now... and I wanted to clarify a rumor... are members of EMS services excused from jury duty? lol Had it today and just had it postponed but I was told by someone that were excused. Thanks :)

Negative Ghostrider! If your employer doesn't let you off for jury duty (or won't pay you for it) you can get them to write a letter, just like any other job.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Your employer should also have the answer for you since this happens every year for each employee.

If you check your company's policy manual you might even be surprised to find jury duty is mentioned in it.