for all my brother and sister EMTs job hunting...

DaniGrrl

Forum Lieutenant
First the Jews and now the Federal government have conspired to force you to be unemployed. Man, you have it hard.

Once again, did you read what you're linking to?
Here's a direct quote:
Competition will be greater for jobs in local government, including fire, police, and independent third-service rescue squad departments that tend to have better salaries and benefits. EMTs and paramedics who have advanced education and certifications should enjoy the most favorable job prospects, as clients and patients demand higher levels of care before arriving at the hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeX21

Forum Ride Along
Hope the growth happens pretty soon I've been looking in my county and surrounding counties in California for the last 3 months and every time I'm lucky enough to get an interview they call back a week later telling about them dropping the job completely.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I can buy what the article says about EMS job growth of 9% or so over the next ten years. The problem is, even with that 9% added to the typical turnover that is standard for the industry, the article didn't account for the legions of EMT's and medics being churned out from all these programs.

It's too easy to get certified. I did three hours twice a week in the evenings for 4 1/2 months. Piece of cake. I remember thinking "that's it?" If you enrolled in EMT class thinking that you'll be quickly employed after taking the 120 hour course, then rest assured that many others are thinking exactly the same thing.

How many threads were started here recently by newly certified EMT's that were frustrated by their fruitless job searches? Even medics are having a tough time in certain areas. Back in 2005 when I got my EMT-P we could still find employment fairly easily. EMT's could still find work as well. In NY FDNY EMS was still hiring EMT's on a regular basis, the privates were wide open, and even the hospitals were doing a decent amount of hiring. Now it's all locked up for the most part. That took only five years. I'm glad I got in when I did.