FOAM presentation

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
In a few weeks I'm giving a presentation to a small group of people at a regional clinical education night about FOAM (Free and Open Access Medicine/Medical education), as part of a general drive to improve CME.

For those not down with what the kids are into these days, FOAM is a term used to describe the growing collection of information and conversation about medicine happening on and through the internet/social media.

The section of my talk dealing with FOAM is very short (~about 5 mins).

My goal is to grab people's attention and motivate them to check out the world of online resources for themselves. In keeping with my love of the FOAM world, I thought I'd come to the place that got me hooked in the first place, to ask for advice on a marketing strategy.

Has anybody got any idea about how to do this and which resources/blogs/sites/podcasts to include that are good FOAM gateway drugs. I don't need to include all or even the best, just some combination that makes people think "Hmmm interesting, I'll give that a shot". More important than the content I chose (its basically all good stuff), is how I present it. Ideas about strategies to get people interested would be most welcome.

Here is what I have so far:

1) I will be including, EMCrit, Life in the Fast Lane, Prehospital 12 Lead & Amil Mattu's ECG case studies. What else needs to be in there? What got you hooked? What do you use the most?

2) The talk will be followed up with an email including links, for the benefit of those that didn't attend, and to remind those that did. It will include a walk through of how to get into the world of pod casts.

3) I think I will divide the information into categorised or "How I practically integrate this into my life" themes. ie Resources you use on the way to a job, things you listen to while jogging/commuting & resources you use in place of a text book.

4) I will be reminding/introducing people of/to the USB key at my local branch that contains all sorts of medical books, literature and videos and maybe making several copies for distribution.

5) I would like to make heavy use of AV and multimedia but am as yet unsure about how to incorporate this properly.

The basic mantra should be: Ongoing awareness, ease of access and relevance of content. What do you think? What resources should be introduced and how should I introduce them such that people, get interested and stay interested?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Who are these people? Without a knowledge of the target audience you are TU.

Five minutes...twenty seconds' intro and lead in, ten seconds' summary/bow-out, fifteen seconds to start the distribution of fliers...You have less than you think. More time lost if you have to start up a video or such. No-one will copy down a URL on the chalkboard or powerpoint.

Have a USEFUL handout (with URL's) where they can get it if they want, focus on why they should want it, and wear pink hair.

Follow this: Say the following: WHAT you will say, WHY they need it, WHAT is on the handout, again WHY they need it, take QUESTIONS, and then cue the music and depart. Announce you will hang out for more questions somewhere in the hall afterwards then do that.

And to tip the waiters and waitresses generously.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Who are these people? Without a knowledge of the target audience you are TU.

Five minutes...twenty seconds' intro and lead in, ten seconds' summary/bow-out, fifteen seconds to start the distribution of fliers...You have less than you think. More time lost if you have to start up a video or such. No-one will copy down a URL on the chalkboard or powerpoint.

Have a USEFUL handout (with URL's) where they can get it if they want, focus on why they should want it, and wear pink hair.

Follow this: Say the following: WHAT you will say, WHY they need it, WHAT is on the handout, again WHY they need it, take QUESTIONS, and then cue the music and depart. Announce you will hang out for more questions somewhere in the hall afterwards then do that.

And to tip the waiters and waitresses generously.

Good advice. Cheers :)

The target audience is a small group of qualified paramedics and IC paramedics (ILS & ALS).