Florida Curious

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Not in any hurry to relocate but just curious about some decent services for a (future) medic in the sunshine state. Some of the ones I am interested in so far are Gadsden and Leon County in the big bend. Alachua down near Gainesville, especially interested in how their single role Rescue LT works. Family/Friends in and around Tally, Gainesville and Tampa/Orlando - so ideally those regions broadly speaking.

WatersPMD2003

Forum Ride Along
Florida has a LOT of medic positions available. Alachua County will hire you as a Paramedic and send you to fire school. The pay is not bad and its rumored that they will be getting Kelly days soon. Marion County (Ocala) hires single cert Paramedics and has a 3 week Kelly day. Also Citrus County (Crystal River) hires single cert Paramedics.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Florida has a LOT of medic positions available. Alachua County will hire you as a Paramedic and send you to fire school. The pay is not bad and its rumored that they will be getting Kelly days soon. Marion County (Ocala) hires single cert Paramedics and has a 3 week Kelly day. Also Citrus County (Crystal River) hires single cert Paramedics.
I did get a chance to speak with the recruiting Captain at Alachua today which definitely clarified my questions about their medic roles.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Yeah, but what about on the coast?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Disney World seems to be hiring Medics quite often (friend works there); pay seems low, but she said cost of living is low if you get away from the immediate area around Disney World

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Not in any hurry to relocate but just curious about some decent services for a (future) medic in the sunshine state. Some of the ones I am interested in so far are Gadsden and Leon County in the big bend. Alachua down near Gainesville, especially interested in how their single role Rescue LT works. Family/Friends in and around Tally, Gainesville and Tampa/Orlando - so ideally those regions broadly speaking.
Not to resurrect old threads, curious for anyone in the region that might have a better understanding of ACFRs recent CBA and restructuring?

My medic school is on-board with us doing our internship portion out of state if we have an agency willing to do it. I've been looking pretty hard at relocating following completion and the single role medic on the fire side at ACFR was pretty attractive, both for looking at the department and the proximity to family for me. Looks like they did away with the single role medic slot but are now offering incentive pay beyond the paramedic bonus for acting as the lead medic on the rescue. I imagine with staffing and closing rescues in the past that they may have opted to fill the roles with current dual cert fire/medics and felt it easier to recruit and backfill for firefighters?

I did speak with someone in training re: the internship and how that restructuring is working and just waiting on a call back. Just interested if anyone in the area has some insight as well.