Flight paramedic interview scenarios?

alcoholwipe

Forum Probie
Hello.
I have recently been invited to interview for. A flight medic position.
I would just like to hear what kind of scenarios they regularly ask for these type of jobs as I have never interviewed for one. I am aware it will vary greatly per position but would just like some guidance on what areas to study or where I could get more information to better prepare for the interview.
Thanks.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If they deem you worthy of an interview (which they have), it means they already know your capabilities and your scope. What they want to know now is YOU. Are you a team player? Can you collaborate? Will you lie? Are you ethical? Will you be an asset to the team? Can you admit you are wrong or do not know something? If so, what would you do in those situations? Do you like to teach? Do you like to pursue more education? Can you smile and deliver great customer service in addition to the medical skills?

Sure, there may be some medical scenarios, however many times the actual medical part of the scenario is NOT what they are assessing.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It’s going to depend on several factors, such as the provider/ program with whom you are applying for.

Why don’t you start by telling all of us what your background is. Do you have any critical care experience? An advanced cert like the FP-C, or CCP-C? A college degree? All of the above?

Basically, why am I picking you over the 20 or so other candidates that are vying for the same exact position?

The scenarios are your run of the mill critical care scenarios.

My understanding is that it’s less about how much critical care knowledge you have, and more or less how you perform overall in the interview. Like most job interviews.

That said, you’re interviewing for a position with more candidates than seats. And you’re typically dealing with very Type-A individuals.

Also, mods can we consolidate the threads into the HEMS forum, por favor? Gratzi.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alcoholwipe

Forum Probie
It’s going to depend on several factors, such as the provider/ program with whom you are applying for.

Why don’t you start by telling all of us what your background is. Do you have any critical care experience? An advanced cert like the FP-C, or CCP-C? A college degree? All of the above?

Basically, why am I picking you over the 20 or so other candidates that are vying for the same exact position?

The scenarios are your run of the mill critical care scenarios.

My understanding is that it’s less about how much critical care knowledge you have, and more or less how you perform overall in the interview. Like most job interviews.

That said, you’re interviewing for a position with more candidates than seats. And you’re typically dealing with very Type-A individuals.

Also, mods can we consolidate the threads into the HEMS forum, por favor? Gratzi.

College degree. No real critical care experience apart from when we would end up with a patient due to another provider being with us.

No advanced certificates. 2 years 911, 1 year remote medical clinics.

OP
OP
A

alcoholwipe

Forum Probie
If they deem you worthy of an interview (which they have), it means they already know your capabilities and your scope. What they want to know now is YOU. Are you a team player? Can you collaborate? Will you lie? Are you ethical? Will you be an asset to the team? Can you admit you are wrong or do not know something? If so, what would you do in those situations? Do you like to teach? Do you like to pursue more education? Can you smile and deliver great customer service in addition to the medical skills?

Sure, there may be some medical scenarios, however many times the actual medical part of the scenario is NOT what they are assessing.

I have no issues with this part of the interview. I have been told by other people you can get questions such as. This patient is on 6 drips, youre plane only has 3 pumps. Which 3 would you put on the pump and which 3 would you fix in a different manner (6 drugs given) for stuff like dropping a low dose pressor and giving fluid if tolerated. Or answers like using a drip for a med thats not very dosage dependant +- 10% I believe I would be okay.

Thats an example question that I would not have thought of before. I am just seeing if there is any other questions like that that I would specifically have to study for. I have no issues studying a lot but would like to focus it a bit deeper. Especially as I do not have any real critical care background (but either will the other candidates)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So you got an interview as a 3 year Medic without CFP or CCEMTP? Do you have any hospital unit experience of any type?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not outside my practicum. Am I really over my head here and should bow out gracefully?
From reddit I see haha. I would not bow out. Still show up and go through the whole process. You may get selected and then start company training or you may not be selected however you will now have a much better idea on how the process went and what you need to brush up on.

HEMS has changed a lot in recent years. It used to be the only way to get hired was to have major years of service. Now many companies are hiring competent providers who meet the CAMTS requirements of 3 years of paramedic experience, in preferably a busy 911 system.

OP
OP
A

alcoholwipe

Forum Probie
From reddit I see haha. I would not bow out. Still show up and go through the whole process. You may get selected and then start company training or you may not be selected however you will now have a much better idea on how the process went and what you need to brush up on.

HEMS has changed a lot in recent years. It used to be the only way to get hired was to have major years of service. Now many companies are hiring competent providers who meet the CAMTS requirements of 3 years of paramedic experience, in preferably a busy 911 system.

Yup. More eyes over here.

Yeah I guess studying for the interview can't hurt my current patient care. Thanks for the reply.

bizzy522

Forum Crew Member
In my interview they had a medical and trauma scenario. It was a septic patient, and trauma scene call with RSI/setting up the vent. If you walk into there with a good handle on pressers, pain management/sedation, RSI, and vent management you will do just fine.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Is the program you are applying for CAMTS accredited? The experience you listed sounds like you likely are not yet qualified for a CAMTS programs. If not, please make sure it is a reputable service and that your desire to fly does not outweigh safety or substandard service concerns. There are programs that will hire with less than 3 years of busy 911 service, not all of them I would work for.

OP
OP
A

alcoholwipe

Forum Probie
Is the program you are applying for CAMTS accredited? The experience you listed sounds like you likely are not yet qualified for a CAMTS programs. If not, please make sure it is a reputable service and that your desire to fly does not outweigh safety or substandard service concerns. There are programs that will hire with less than 3 years of busy 911 service, not all of them I would work for.

Yes it is a well known company with many decades of operation.

OP
OP
A

alcoholwipe

Forum Probie
In my interview they had a medical and trauma scenario. It was a septic patient, and trauma scene call with RSI/setting up the vent. If you walk into there with a good handle on pressers, pain management/sedation, RSI, and vent management you will do just fine.

Thanks for the input. I believe I could handle those scenarios right now.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Definitely brush up on your pressors. We interviewed a medic recently, and he didn't know about any pressors besides dopamine.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Definitely brush up on your pressors. We interviewed a medic recently, and he didn't know about any pressors besides dopamine.

I don't expect our new hires to know the ins and outs of the medications we have that they didn't have in their former protocol. I expect that they are capable of learning them..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
To be fair, that was the only pressor that was covered in my medic school, the only pressor that CA allowed, and the only pressor that I had actually used. If I didn’t do a lot of independent studying and reading I would have only been able to give that same answer. For my interview I was actually given a septic patient that required a pressor. I said I know Levo is the preferred first line for sepsis however I do not know the dosage.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
To be fair, that was the only pressor that was covered in my medic school, the only pressor that CA allowed, and the only pressor that I had actually used. If I didn’t do a lot of independent studying and reading I would have only been able to give that same answer. For my interview I was actually given a septic patient that required a pressor. I said I know Levo is the preferred first line for sepsis however I do not know the dosage.

I had a critical care interview with a scenario, and they told me before the simulation started "we don't care that you don't know our meds. Work through this patient using drugs you are currently comfortable with."

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Same as the above posts for me as well.
Use the tools you know how to use, and if you know there should be another med but don't know the dose/mechanism that's fine too.

I had a DKA kid I said needs insulin but I'm unsure of the rate. I treated him with what I had always done. ABC's, fluid, etc.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
They aren't looking for a superstar Doogie Howser. They are just looking to make sure you know the basics, will fit in, and are trainable.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
When we look at hiring people on our flight teams we don't expect them to have every drug memorized. We do expect them to be understand the disease pathophysiology and how various treatment modalities work.