First time driving a box truck ambulance?

ThatGirlLex4

Forum Probie
Hey everyone, I work for a private company and we mostly have vans but tomorrow they have me on a bari unit and it's my first time driving a box truck ambulance (mod). Do you find it much more difficult to drive or is it about the same? Any advice for someone who hasn't driven one yet? I'm very comfortable in the vans but I've never driven anything bigger than that so I'm so nervous for tomorrow!

Thanks!

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
They're big and heavy. Go slow, Take wide turns, and if the mirrors clear the box clears.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
^.

They can be intimidating at first. Depending on the box it might have a longer wheelbase, meaning you need to make much wider turns. Backing up feels more intimidating as you're aren't sitting as close to the widest point, but you are still looking at the back corner with your mirrors.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
They're about the same as driving a van. They're a foot or so wider on each side, but if you're used to driving a van, just watch the side mirrors a little more because you'll have less visibility and the mirrors will help you realize that it's not that hard to keep the mod ambulance safely in the lane. After that, it really won't be that hard.

I have use of an cab-over RV that's basically the same size (perhaps a little longer) than a typical type III ambulance. It's actually easy to drive. The hardest van I ever had to drive was 20' Roadtrek RV whose sides are kind of like an egg and bulge out. In short, the sides don't go straight back. That made backing the RV a little difficult.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Your pivot point is now the exact center of the back wheel driver side hub instead of in the middle of there and the exhaust pipe. Watch your back end in tight spaces as well as it swings wider.

armydawg

Forum Probie
I thought the same thing at first. However, I love box trucks way more. We have a couple delta highways where I am , and even though it's a huge target for cross winds there is much less affect on them than the top have vans. As mentioned above, take wide turns (don't have to over exaggerate.), take it slow. Remember your due regard and you'll be fine. Good luck to you.