First gig, classic Fire or EMS dilemma

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
I know this a personal preference question just as much as it is anything else, but I was hoping to get a little insight into my dilemma. I'm currently a Basic living in a pretty large area (150,000+) and in class for my AEMT right now and from the very beginning, it was EMS the whole way. However, a friend called me recently and said there was an opening at a much smaller city (40,000ish) for a FD/EMS that he told me was desperate for EMT's and medics. I've never had any interest in fire but my question is being only 20 years old, would going against my reason for getting into EMS be worth getting a better paying, better benefits city job? I know nobody gets into this for the pay but where's the line for the love of the job and better pay, benefits? Any insight into this?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I know this a personal preference question just as much as it is anything else, but I was hoping to get a little insight into my dilemma. I'm currently a Basic living in a pretty large area (150,000+) and in class for my AEMT right now and from the very beginning, it was EMS the whole way. However, a friend called me recently and said there was an opening at a much smaller city (40,000ish) for a FD/EMS that he told me was desperate for EMT's and medics. I've never had any interest in fire but my question is being only 20 years old, would going against my reason for getting into EMS be worth getting a better paying, better benefits city job? I know nobody gets into this for the pay but where's the line for the love of the job and better pay, benefits? Any insight into this?

You would be crazy not to take the fire job.

Think about your future family. Room for advancement. Benefits. RETIREMENT. EMS really has nowhere to go after paramedic. It's back to school if you want a raise. Don't be a fool I would take fire in a heartbeat.

There will come a time in the near future of you working EMS that you will realize you dislike it as much as you do love it. Working as a firefighter at the same time will help you to bring balance and get a break from time to time.

Life is all about experiences. Don't turn down the better job only to spend your days thinking "what if."

You can always quit if you don't like it but the opportunity may never present itself again.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
OKparamurse

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
Thanks, that does make a lot of sense. That's actually a really good point that hasn't even crossed my mind, good fire jobs are few and far between. I'm sure working in a smaller, rural area I would still be working a lot of EMS calls, too. Thanks again for the advice, that really puts things into perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Treat them the same. Evaluate any job on what it has to offer you and what the pitfalls are. Why are they desperate; bad working conditions, low pay, everyone fired for trying to unionize, or did they just expand their service, etc?

The best piece of advice someone once gave me was "Don't go in there". (Another was to avoid anything with the words "Today Only!!!!" or "Someone else might get it first!!!!" on the sign or label). Use your head. Scene size up and safety, right?;)

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Mycroft has some good advice. I would also add that in a year as a fireman in large town you will respons to hundreds more medical calls than fires

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Look deep and see what is really there.

Is it about the rush or is it about the career?

No harm, no foul if you know you just want to get a few years under your belt of highly responsible duty that will expose you to the best AND the worst parts of yourself that could potentially impact you for life. And it works if you don't mind being a foot-soldier for life...

In that case just jump on that Am-bu-lance!

If, on the other hand, you think EMS might be something you'd like to grow WITH and use as a vehicle to support yourself and family, then go for Fire.

EMS, if it is to survive, is going to have to go through changes. If Fire doesn't adapt to the needs of the populace -- NOT the needs of the FD -- it's going to lose the money. In a lot of locations, they are more likely to snag the money to adapt to those changes.

Let the other services try to catch up, and then, when they're ready to make some changes, you've got some experience under your belt to sell to the highest bidder.

Bottom line, do what best prepares you for your future, don't be so damn selfish! :p

(This scares me; I don't think I ever plugged Fire like this before!)

But for balance, if you intend to spearhead change in either the public or private sector that will turn this into a real profession, THAT more than anything else will bleed you to death.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
You would be crazy not to take the fire job.

Think about your future family. Room for advancement. Benefits. RETIREMENT. EMS really has nowhere to go after paramedic. It's back to school if you want a raise. Don't be a fool I would take fire in a heartbeat.

There will come a time in the near future of you working EMS that you will realize you dislike it as much as you do love it. Working as a firefighter at the same time will help you to bring balance and get a break from time to time.

Life is all about experiences. Don't turn down the better job only to spend your days thinking "what if."

You can always quit if you don't like it but the opportunity may never present itself again.

+100.

A word of caution, however - whenever an employer is "desperate," find out why. Are theyexpanding, did they have a recent change in staffing and deployment, or is there copious turnover due to poor working conditions and other factors? Do your due dilligence first. Some employers will use a generous starting salary as a distractor, to draw attention away from their shortcomings. Just be careful.

OP
OP
OKparamurse

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
Just thought I'd give an update for anyone who cared. I decided to take the majority of you guy's advice and apply for the fire job. So far I've made the 2nd round of applicants with the CPAT and written test coming up in a couple weeks. Any advice for the written test? Should I be expecting anything and everything?

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
If it's like most FD writtens, its a general knowledge/reading comprehension/ basic math kinda test. Kinda like the SAT or the ACT, if you look those in high school. Some will have "personality" questions too.

But some departments use a different test, maybe one that requires studying from a guide sent to applicants.

OP
OP
OKparamurse

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
Yeah, took the ACT once in high school and got a 26 so hopefully it'll be close to that lol any advice for the interviews? Sort of looking ahead but that's the part that makes me the most nervous.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd check the "Hiring and Employment" section of the Firehouse.com forums and search for oral board help or interview tips.

And wear a suit to the interview. Everyone loves suits.