First Ever Interview!!

cbmedic7

Forum Ride Along
Hi I'm new here! I got my EMT-B license in October of last year, I'm fresh out of High school with zero paid work experience, and I got invited to SA TX Methodist Hospital's interview open house tomorrow. I have applied for so many ER tech jobs and never made it past on demand video interviews and I am so desperate to make this work! I've never had an interview, medical or nonmedical, and I'm crazy nervous. Any advice on what to prepare for, what they'll ask, anything?

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
OH YEAH!
Be humble, be teachable, and be professional.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Be confident. Most questions will probably involve getting to know you. So your past experience ( if any), you goals, why you are a good candidate, your strengths/weaknesses, how will you respond to a conflict with an employee, etc.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Just to add to the other suggestions:
1. Don't answer questions that aren't asked.
2. Don't be late.
3. Dress conservatively.
4. Bathe.
5. Don't criticize anyone.
6. Be ready to give one or two reasons why you want to work for that company.
7. Don't ask about sick time, vacation time, or drug testing.
8. Avoid politics.
9. Keep your right palm dry for handshaking.

OP
OP
C

cbmedic7

Forum Ride Along
Be confident. Most questions will probably involve getting to know you. So your past experience ( if any), you goals, why you are a good candidate, your strengths/weaknesses, how will you respond to a conflict with an employee, etc.
Cool! Definitely got some stuff to think about😅

OP
OP
C

cbmedic7

Forum Ride Along
Just to add to the other suggestions:
1. Don't answer questions that aren't asked.
2. Don't be late.
3. Dress conservatively.
4. Bathe.
5. Don't criticize anyone.
6. Be ready to give one or two reasons why you want to work for that company.
7. Don't ask about sick time, vacation time, or drug testing.
8. Avoid politics.
9. Keep your right palm dry for handshaking.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice! The idea of interviews is still so new to me, so I'll keep this in mind! Only a few more hours to go😬

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Wow it went so well!! thank you for all the help! the interview lasted less than 15 mins (which really worried me haha) but I got an email yesterday for a job offer!! my tentative start date is March 23 and I'm so excited for it! Thanks again!
Well done. Come back and tell us how it’s going from time to time. Keep that good interview attitude.

OP
OP
C

cbmedic7

Forum Ride Along
So it's been a bit rocky, and there's been so many delays, but I'm finally going to start working tomorrow! Btw I don't know if I said this but I'm an EMT that got a PCT job, so I'm a little worried about working in hospital right now, and doing night shift as my first shift ever, but hopefully it'll go okay! I just hope I don't bring home covid-19😅 nervous but excited!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting...no day time orientation?

OP
OP
C

cbmedic7

Forum Ride Along
Interesting...no day time orientation?
Nope, they had scheduled group orientations before the stay at home orders, so now we had to do most of it online. They said the first 6 shifts are "orientation shifts", so hopefully it works out fine