first code

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
so i havent had a call were a pt has coded. i dont know if im looking forward to it or not. i mean i want it to come so i can say ive worked a code and have the experience. then the other part of me doesnt want it to come because i know im gonna freeze/freak lol as my one friend says "it happens to everyone the first time" oh and it seems that everytime i come on duty the crew before me had a code lol

so i would love any and all help to maybe prepare me for it lol. as i dont want it to be a bad first experience lol. also tell me what your first code was like good experience? bad experience tell me about it.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Codes......

It is very important to stay focused, There a lot of organized and at the same time, unorganized chaos happening at the scene. It is also important to follow directions of the person running the code, if he or she are speaking to you, make sure you make good eye contact with that person so you understand what is being asked of you. Please remember besides the patient, there are friends and family there, so please remember to watch what you say, sometimes when things are going bad, folks tend to say things that are not meant to be heard by the public. As my dad used to say, "You can think it, but just don't say it!"
Last but not least, Please remember to talk to you patient, even if they are unconscious, and unresponsive. Tell them what you need to do for them in order to help them. I find it upsetting when a person becomes a patient and from there turns into a object, please remember that patient was once someones child, family member and friend. Please remember that we are just one part of the chain of survival, the whole big picture is a team effort!

Hope this helps! :)

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
anna pretty much said it all. the first one the hardest part is the unknown so following directions is the key. once you've had one you have more of a feel for how they are going to go. i'd also try and work out before hand with your partner what each of you is going to do so you're not scrambling at the last minute. my first code i was clueless so it was a good thing we had a good team leader who was able to direct everyone to what they needed to do. best luck ^_^

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
This might sound weird but try not too think too much when you get your code, because than you might second guess or confuse your self. Atleast thats what i did haha

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the most important thing to consider on your first code, is how do you make sure that you aren't the one who has to clean out the rig when its all over!

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Being a newer EMT, (which I assume you are based on your post) you will likely be assigned to compressions. That, IMHO, is the best place to be. You are at the center of everything, meaning you can observe everything going on around you but not have to worry.

I had a code the night of my clinicals. It was awesome to see and hear everything going on... "let's go one more Epi".... " "let's try pacing him", etc. At the time, you're adrenaline will be going so you won't worry about anything, just do what the doctor (or if you're on scene, the medic) tells you to do. It won't really hit you what happened until afterwards. Like AirwayGoddess said, it's a team effort and you are part of the team.

Good luck to you!

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Codes are a script basically. And all you have to do is follow what your protocols call for. As a basic you will most likely be on compressions or the bag after intubation.

Not sure where you work but in my dept. we rehearse codes and the roles on them. That way everyone knows what is going on. The basics should know what the drugs are, where they and why they are being used in order to understand all the chaos going on. We will always have at least 6-8 people on a code. Someone begins compressions, someone is getting the monitor/combo pads set up, someone is beings to secure the airway while the other medic gets IV/IO access. Then you just follow the script, compressions, drugs, shock if shockable, if not continue compressions and then more drugs, analyze, ect. ect.

Do some mock codes with your crews if you can. Placing hands on chest and press is a position that is really hard to freeze up at.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Do some mock codes with your crews if you can. Placing hands on chest and press is a position that is really hard to freeze up at.

Yeah we did a mock code with my instructor. Class had 6 guys and I was the youngest, an obvious prank victim. So they all went outside and planned some prank or something to f*ck with me. They all ran into the room and gave me all these vitals and asked me what to do. I don't remember what I said, but my instructor who was a medic asked "why would you do that?" or something. Then he intubated the mannequin and asked for Epi and all this ****. i applied the AED and he kept giving me the "shock not advised" message (the AED was a POS and didn't work).

Anyway, that's the furthest we went with a "mock code" It was stupid. The real thing was a hell of a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The Third Rule of the House of God is:

At a Cardiac Arrest, the first procedure is to check your own pulse.

Remember... you are NOT the patient. It is NOT your emergency. Additionally... they are pretty stable now... you can't make them worse... only better. So try to be calm.

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
Jon wrote:

The Third Rule of the House of God is:

At a Cardiac Arrest, the first procedure is to check your own pulse.
Remember... you are NOT the patient. It is NOT your emergency. Additionally... they are pretty stable now... you can't make them worse... only better. So try to be calm.

That sums it up very well. The only thing I can add is to not invest too much emotion into these events. First reason is: see rule #3 above. Second is that, even with first -rate, timely ACLS, most of the patients will still die. Remember that everybody dies eventually. Some patients' hearts are so far gone that nothing will help them. Others have been down too long. Whatever the reason.

Win or lose, you need to give 100% effort until you're told to stop. On the other hand, the large percentage of failure does make the occasional success more special.