Fired from patient complaint

Emt808

Forum Probie
Hello I’m new and a EMT , I was curious as anyone got fired for a allegedly verbally bullied or berated a patient , and it was a totally miscommunication, on trying to educated the public ?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I generally don't even try anymore. Just smile and nod. Plus, as an emt, you don't have the experience or knowledge base to 'educate the public' in a meaningful way.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, people get fired for bullying and berating patients. How were you trying to "educated the public"? How was it miscommunicated?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Rule number 1: Don’t yell at your patients or their friends/family.
Rule number 2: If you can’t follow rule 1, make sure they are drunk/high/otherwise unable to tell a coherent story or be a reliable witness.
Rule number 3; Don’t yell at your patients.

People who have the capacity to be educated don’t need to be berated. People that need to be berated are most likely not in a proper place to be educated. Basically, yelling at patients is usually going to end poorly so don’t it.

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie
Yes, people get fired for bullying and berating patients. How were you trying to "educated the public"? How was it miscommunicated?

Well a EMT was giving examples of how certian people abuse the ambulance knowing they aren’t going to pay for it and the tax payers will and the Emt gave options to a paitent to get to the ER because it a non emergency call but EMS was still happy to give them a ride to the ER for med refill

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie
Well a EMT was giving examples of how certian people abuse the ambulance knowing they aren’t going to pay for it and the tax payers will and the Emt gave options to a paitent to get to the ER because it a non emergency call but EMS was still happy to give them a ride to the ER for med refill
Complaint came in as EMS bullied by giving her options and cataorgize her as the “certain people “

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie
Rule number 1: Don’t yell at your patients or their friends/family.
Rule number 2: If you can’t follow rule 1, make sure they are drunk/high/otherwise unable to tell a coherent story or be a reliable witness.
Rule number 3; Don’t yell at your patients.

People who have the capacity to be educated don’t need to be berated. People that need to be berated are most likely not in a proper place to be educated. Basically, yelling at patients is usually going to end poorly so don’t it.
There was no yelling at all to the patient

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
did you characterize her as "certain people?" Or did you imply that she was "certain people?" how do you know they won't pay for it? does it directly come out of your check? Does your boss tell you to transport the patient, regardless of if they can pay or not? is it your role to "educate" the public on what is and is not a valid request for an ambulance?

sounds like you overstepped your boundaries, didn't treat her with the level of respect that your management expected you to deliver, and were terminated as a result of your error. Sounds appropriate, especially since they can replace you very easily.

Take it as a learning experience, get a new job, and don't let it happen again.

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie
did you characterize her as "certain people?" Or did you imply that she was "certain people?" how do you know they won't pay for it? does it directly come out of your check? Does your boss tell you to transport the patient, regardless of if they can pay or not? is it your role to "educate" the public on what is and is not a valid request for an ambulance?

sounds like you overstepped your boundaries, didn't treat her with the level of respect that your management expected you to deliver, and were terminated as a result of your error. Sounds appropriate, especially since they can replace you very easily.

She was not characterized as certain people nor imply as certain people it was stated to her as a example of how people abuse the ambulance as a taxi service. Because homeless people don’t pay for anything, it’s state run ambulance services and the crew pays taxes and everyone in the state so the state is not getting Reimbursements for services that giving by the state. Also the EMS mission statement states to provide education to the public about Ems. And it’s not for me it’s for a friend that’s worried and no one has gotten fired

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie

Plus the medic on sc agree with the Emt and qouted
Did you want to find a another way to the ER for a medfill, instead of taking a ambulance that might not be covered or etc etc.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Not an argument you will ever win with a patient or management. Don’t bother. It’s not worth your time on most cases.

There are teachable moments, but they have to be under the correct circumstances. A key is also knowing how to talk to people. Generally, coming off as an A hole is going to get you into trouble.

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie
Not an argument you will ever win with a patient or management. Don’t bother. It’s not worth your time on most cases.

There are teachable moments, but they have to be under the correct circumstances. A key is also knowing how to talk to people. Generally, coming off as an A hole is going to get you into trouble.
Yeah I agree, no one was coming off like a hole but I’m guessing that the patient thought they was coming off like a holes

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

Sounds like you've already had plenty of people tell you not to do that.

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie
Sounds like you've already had plenty of people tell you not to do that.
No not really a lot of the medics do it , give route options for stable non emergency people but end up still taking them to the ER

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
And it’s not for me it’s for a friend that’s worried and no one has gotten fired
ah, so your a new EMT, your friend did it, you have a lot of details about what happened, and no one has gotten fired? but your friend is worried they might get fired.....

Sounds like your friend screwed up, even if it wasn't done maliciously, and now has to deal with the consequences. If I was your friend, I'd start applying for a new job, because they might be terminated once the investigation is complete.

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie
ah, so your a new EMT, your friend did it, you have a lot of details about what happened, and no one has gotten fired? but your friend is worried they might get fired.....

Sounds like your friend screwed up, even if it wasn't done maliciously, and now has to deal with the consequences. If I was your friend, I'd start applying for a new job, because they might be terminated once the investigation is complete.
No I’m not new Emt , I guess I didn’t make my start of my question clear. I’m new to the forum lol nah my friend has been a EMT for a awhile and he called his union rep

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Honestly those kinds of "discussions" are never worth it. People paying for an ambulance ride aren't gonna call you for a med refill, and people who aren't paying (Medicaid/uninsured) don't care. I mean, if I were homeless and uninsured and my options were pay to take a bus to the ED or get a free ambulance ride I know which one I'd be taking. Be nice to everyone, take 'em to the hospital, call it a day.

Assuming you're a union shop I can't imagine getting fired over this though.

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie
Honestly those kinds of "discussions" are never worth it. People paying for an ambulance ride aren't gonna call you for a med refill, and people who aren't paying (Medicaid/uninsured) don't care. I mean, if I were homeless and uninsured and my options were pay to take a bus to the ED or get a free ambulance ride I know which one I'd be taking. Be nice to everyone, take 'em to the hospital, call it a day.

Assuming you're a union shop I can't imagine getting fired over this though.
I agree, it’s almost not worth trying to discussion it with people , and the most crazy thing is that they still took the patient and next thing u know got called in for the complaint

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Those aren't even worth the air to make the sounds to try to educate them. Kind of like saying "hey, you might not want to mix insecticide and industrial adhesives into your synthetic marijuana, and you should probably take your insulin at least somewhat regularly"- the advice might be sound, but people simply don't care.

OP
OP
E

Emt808

Forum Probie
Those aren't even worth the air to make the sounds to try to educate them. Kind of like saying "hey, you might not want to mix insecticide and industrial adhesives into your synthetic marijuana, and you should probably take your insulin at least somewhat regularly"- the advice might be sound, but people simply don't care.

Yeah it’s a huge problem in our system, and I guess what can u do , hop on for the ride we going to the ER