Fired from EMT job over a year ago. Should I redo my EMT training, take refresher classes, or move on

Parry4006

Forum Ride Along
I was only an EMT for 6 months. And I am ashamed to say I did not prepare well for the job. I took an EMT course offered at my University and was able to get the EMT license but I did not give serious time for my preparation. I treated it as a college class where I just tried to get the A but did not give my best effort to practice the hand skills.

In this class it was you get what you put in. And I did not practice the EMT skills nearly enough as I should have. I think no one else in the class did either. But for me personally, I realized I have to do something 100 times to be quick and good at it under pressure. For example, I did C-SPINE maybe two times in the class. And I got the EMT job more than a year later. And the one time I did get a trauma call and did do C-SPINE, I struggled. And I'm sure the paramedic made a compliant of me because he never looked me in the eyes after that day working with him. So basically all of the hand skills such as splinting, checking pulse, blood pressure, 12 lead I was slow at or could not do very well. I made major improvements with checking pulse and blood pressure after a month, but other EMT skills I was paranoid I would get a call and I would not be good at it if I had to do it.

Furthermore, I hit a pole two times when I was an EMT, no harm to patients, minimum damage. Paramedics complained about my driving behind my back. I do not perform well when I don't sleep. I think this has to do with being not in good healthy shape. (The more unfit you are the less you perform without sleep?) I let personal problem and tragedies affect me. My driving was too slow after hearing the complaint I make turns too fast. The last day of the job, I had to do direct pressure on a patient who had already stopped his bleeding, but I seemed hesitant to do it because I was not confident in my skills and the paramedic asked me if I wanted her to do it, and I said sure, and that essentially got me fired, along with a few driving complaints, and the two times I hit a pole.

Now that my certification has expired, March 31st. I could do X amount of hours of a refresher course to get my EMT license along with some other things. But my question is a refresher course enough to get me confident in EMT manual skills. Should I take the whole thing over again but this time in academy. In an academy, how often are skills like C-spine, splints, 12 leads, bandaging practiced? Because I am a slow learner, and I needs lot of practice to be confident. Or do you think I am just not a good fit for EMS in general, and its just best to move on? The place that fired me, actually let me resign and say I chose to quit.

My biggest regret during my time in EMS when I actually did harm to a patient, was when I took blood pressure on a dialysis pt who had a fistula during a non-emergency transport. I was trying to get my first vitals out of the way, but there's no excuse for that mistake.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think the role of coursework is to make us confident. We develop confidence when we apply what we've learned, successfully and repeatedly. It sounds like you need more practice and ongoing reinforcement (positive and negative) from mentors. You might find that process easier if you held yourself solely responsible for your success or lack of it.

I don't think I'm in a position to judge whether you should be in EMS. What do you think? How does EMS make you feel? What other options do you have? Have you considered trying something else before making a decision? To what extent are personal problems and tragedies still affecting you day to day? Do you need to give priority to something other than EMS right now?

OP
OP
P

Parry4006

Forum Ride Along
I'm not sure, I think if I practice the hand skills I could succeed but my driving will always be around the same. I think if I get in better physical shape I could do better without sleep. I am still affected by things in my personal life but I have gotten stronger. I feel like being in EMS has made me more mature and given me more thick skin.

I was stressed my whole time in EMS but I thinks its the best entry level job. The lows were really low for me and the highs were high. Other options would be to do other entry level jobs until I get into graduate school. As of right now, I don't have other priorities. I am done with college, and I am going to be applying to Dental School. But I have more than a year of free time even if I do get accepted.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I don't think re-doing coursework will help your confidence.

I'd venture to say that EMS isn't for you right now.

I'd look at becoming a RN if you want to stay in medicine.

What have you been doing since you left EMS?

OP
OP
P

Parry4006

Forum Ride Along
I only shadowed a dispatcher for about an hour. What I took from the short experience was that they look at multiple screens in a dark room, and are very good at multi-tasking. You have to be sharp and be able to talk really fast.

In my opinion EMT requires less multi-tasking ability because we are doing things from highest priority to lowest priority. We give treatment first, then take vitals. And we follow our ABCs. Although we can't get tunnel vision and have to keep our head on a swivel for scene safety. Although the better EMTs could probably multi-task lol.

I got fired during COVID. I studied for the Dental Admission Test for several months, and scored 90th percentile. I want to take care of pts and make good money. Being an EMT was a great experience. I wish I could have been better at it.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I only shadowed a dispatcher for about an hour. What I took from the short experience was that they look at multiple screens in a dark room, and are very good at multi-tasking. You have to be sharp and be able to talk really fast.

In my opinion EMT requires less multi-tasking ability because we are doing things from highest priority to lowest priority. We give treatment first, then take vitals. And we follow our ABCs. Although we can't get tunnel vision and have to keep our head on a swivel for scene safety. Although the better EMTs could probably multi-task lol.

I got fired during COVID. I studied for the Dental Admission Test for several months, and scored 90th percentile. I want to take care of pts and make good money. Being an EMT was a great experience. I wish I could have been better at it.
First, a good dispatcher does NOT talk fast...they speak clearly and calmly so that they are not misunderstood and so their emotions don't contribute to any problems.

From your responses in this thread, i highly doubt you would learn from your previous mistakes of being an EMT. You ask a question seeking advice and then dismiss any response that you don't like.

You may end up proving a bunch of people wrong, but at this point I'm in the "you should find another field" camp.

OP
OP
P

Parry4006

Forum Ride Along
I am just sharing my point of view and what my opinions are.

As for dismissing advice, I have not dismissed anyone in this thread. True dismissal is not replying to someone or not giving an adequate response to why you think that won't work for you. I have gone to great detail to explain my thoughts or rationale, and have answered everyone's questions.

You mentioned I would not be able to learn from my mistakes based off my responses. You should offer specifics as to what in my responses suggests that I would not be able to improve on hand skills, confidence, or driving.

I have actually respected everyone in this thread because I have been incredibly open and honest about my failures. There is not a lot of people that could do that.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I am just sharing my point of view and what my opinions are.

As for dismissing advice, I have not dismissed anyone in this thread. True dismissal is not replying to someone or not giving an adequate response to why you think that won't work for you. I have gone to great detail to explain my thoughts or rationale, and have answered everyone's questions.

You mentioned I would not be able to learn from my mistakes based off my responses. You should offer specifics as to what in my responses suggests that I would not be able to improve on hand skills, confidence, or driving.

I have actually respected everyone in this thread because I have been incredibly open and honest about my failures. There is not a lot of people that could do that.
Just like everyone else in the thread is sharing their opinions. A dismissal of a suggestion is still a dismissal, even if it does not meet your definition of a one.

Your comments about EMS not multitasking and about dispatchers (based upon your one hour of shadowing) show that you've got a mindset of what EMS is. Skills are easy, and anybody can learn them if they are willing to apply themselves (which you appear willing to do). It's the mindset that will cause you problems in the future, and based upon your responses in this thread I've not seen a willingness on your part to change that yet.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
First, a good dispatcher does NOT talk fast...they speak clearly and calmly so that they are not misunderstood and so their emotions don't contribute to any problems.
First off, that's not true... many dispatchers talk fast, because they want to deliver their message and move onto the next one. I talk really fast, as well as repeated my dispatch information when I worked nights (the second time was usually slower, and even clearer, esp since i would blend words together the more tired I was). I will also say, when I was dispatching, I had two to three calls (if I was lucky, only three) that I needed to dispatch as I was dispatching the first call. Remember, on the ambulance, you have to deal with one call; in dispatch, you deal with many, in different locations, and have very few ways you can directly help the patient.
I'd look at becoming a RN if you want to stay in medicine.
To be honest, I recommend anyone who is currently in EMS to become an RN. If you want to stay on the ambulance, do CCT or MICN work. the pay is better, the union representation is better, the career path is there, and by the time your back is hurting too much from the work, you have your eye on a management or non-clinical role, while still maintaining that higher pay-rate than you would ever make on the truck.

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
First off, that's not true... many dispatchers talk fast, because they want to deliver their message and move onto the next one. I talk really fast, as well as repeated my dispatch information when I worked nights (the second time was usually slower, and even clearer, esp since i would blend words together the more tired I was). I will also say, when I was dispatching, I had two to three calls (if I was lucky, only three) that I needed to dispatch as I was dispatching the first call. Remember, on the ambulance, you have to deal with one call; in dispatch, you deal with many, in different locations, and have very few ways you can directly help the patient.

To be honest, I recommend anyone who is currently in EMS to become an RN. If you want to stay on the ambulance, do CCT or MICN work. the pay is better, the union representation is better, the career path is there, and by the time your back is hurting too much from the work, you have your eye on a management or non-clinical role, while still maintaining that higher pay-rate than you would ever make on the truck.
I was a 911 dispatcher in a small rural county where I was the only dispatcher for county law, various city fire and police departments and the 911 call taker for the entire county at the same time. You learn quickly that speaking a bit slower but much clearer avoids having to repeat yourself. There are times when speaking fast is good, such as a confirmation readback in order to clear the air faster.

OP
OP
P

Parry4006

Forum Ride Along
I want to thank everyone who responded. I will think about what you guys have said. I will still do the EMT refresher to save my license, but most likely move on and find something else I will be a better fit at.

Emily Starton

Forum Lieutenant
I want to thank everyone who responded. I will think about what you guys have said. I will still do the EMT refresher to save my license, but most likely move on and find something else I will be a better fit at.
Just finalize your decision and I hope you'll not regret it in the end.