Fire-truck driver’s drink level below legal limit

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Fire-truck driver’s drink level below legal limit

RAYMOND - A local volunteer firefighter taken into police custody during an emergency response on Sept. 11 was shown to have a blood-alcohol content well below the legal limit.

Concerns were raised by fellow firefighters when they smelled alcohol on one of the drivers of a fire truck that was responding to a single-car accident on Lane Road.

[Read More!]

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I still say alcohol and Fire/EMS don't mix... because if something HAD happened, it would have been looked at as the reason even though he was below the limit.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I agree. Even though his BAC was below the legal limit, having the odor of alcohol on your breath while on a call is a bad move.

When we had our VFA "beer garden" (major fundraiser for the Association) back over the 4th of July, the on-duty personnel were told they could work the exterior of the event (checking IDs, selling scrip, etc.) but not go inside (unless there was a call inside, of course). The reason? The chance of getting bumped and beer spilling on your uniform. As one captain put it "It's not a good idea to show up to a call smelling like beer, even if you haven't been drinking it."

Our rules and regs go so far as to prohibit us from entering into any drinking establishment in uniform or wearing any part of our uniform (again, unless its on a call). Restaurants that serve alcohol are OK so long as we don't partake, but bars aren't.

The only time we're ever allowed to drink in uniform is at the annual Awards Dinner (everyone wears dress uniforms), and even then, there's a set duty crew that doesn't drink and handles any calls that come in. Anyone who does drink isn't allowed to respond.