Fire Department single role EMT/Paramedics

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So I just found out that the Glendale Fire Department (Los Angeles County, CA) hires EMTs as part time, non sworn, Ambulance Operators. Not entirely sure if that's just as a driver or attendant as well on the BLS rigs.

http://fire.ci.glendale.ca.us/ambulanceoperator.asp

Basically I thought that all the local FD's that used their own ambulances crewed them with fully trained/sworn FF/EMTs and/or FF/Ps as opposed to single role EMT/Paramedics.

Does anyone know if any other local FDs have single role EMS as well? I'm personally interested in LA, Orange and San Diego Counties, but what about other parts of the country?

So I just found out that the Glendale Fire Department (Los Angeles County, CA) hires EMTs as part time, non sworn, Ambulance Operators. Not entirely sure if that's just as a driver or attendant as well on the BLS rigs.

http://fire.ci.glendale.ca.us/ambulanceoperator.asp

Basically I thought that all the local FD's that used their own ambulances crewed them with fully trained/sworn FF/EMTs and/or FF/Ps as opposed to single role EMT/Paramedics.

Does anyone know if any other local FDs have single role EMS as well? I'm personally interested in LA, Orange and San Diego Counties, but what about other parts of the country?

It's either driver or attendant. It's a way to cut costs for those departments that utilize ambulance operators. Think of the way LA and OC uses private ambulances for 911. The medic will jump on if needed.

There are a few departments that I know who do this.......Compton, Downey, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Huntington Beach, Hermosa Beach, Long Beach, La Habra, and Pasadena.

mike1390

Forum Captain
Glendale is an interesting model, to save money the city decided to do away with staffing FF/PM on the ambulances and went with the A/O program. These EMTs will handle all the BLS calls and (not sure is its fully functionally yet) will transport a FF/PM off the engine if the pt requires ALS. Glendale realized its much cheaper to pay 2 EMTs 12-13/hr than to pay 2 FF/PM.

Escondido has now started a similar program to save money they have started hiring single function medics to staff RAs, now these are not career positions they are stating their medics off at around 14.50/hr, both glendale and Escondido are clearly catering to the individual who wants to be a FF/ FF/pm one day, and is using this as a stepping stone into the department.

Some beach cities have part time/full time AO programs, very good way to get into a department. Glendale has recently said if you are an AO you don't have to take the written test for fire recruit, Long Beach only opened their firefighter app to current city employees which would be the AOs.

http://www.hermosabch.org/index.aspx?page=157
http://www.longbeach.gov/fire/lbfd_employment/ao/
http://www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/go...tRecruitmentInformation/ambulance_program.cfm
http://agency.governmentjobs.com/compton/default.cfm?action=viewclassspec&ClassSpecID=751038

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm...lets see, I'm currently in a non emergent IFT company, want to go 911, eventually FF/P, sounds like almost the exact same job as an EMT at a company with an EOA, yet better pay, can't imagine the FD dispatching its own ambulances to run non 911 IFTs so no more of those and your actually working for the department not a contractor? Sounds like wins all around to me

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Applied at Glendale Ambulance Operator job last night, as well as their Fore Recruit while I was at it. I looked into Pasadena's EMSR program and it looks like its a volunteer program instead of an actual paying job, and they're not currently accepting applications there right now

brian328

Forum Crew Member
the A/O concept is pretty cool deal for both the fire department and EMT. as an EMT, you will gain A LOT of 911 experience as well as learning how to live in the fire house (station duties, cooking, etc). depending on the department, you will do training with them. it's good for the fire dept because they can pay 2 EMTs to staff an ambulance as opposed to 2 FF/PM. the downside is most of the time it is a 3 year contract, and they usually don't have an ambulance for each station, so you will be running multiple calls with different crews. but when the dept is hiring, they usually hire A/O's (because they are familiar with department policies and procedures).

USMCemt

Forum Probie
Hey Jim, I also applied for the Glendale AO. I am coming from an ALS rig as an EMT in the Imperial County. The AO sounds like a real good opportunity.

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
I just got hired as a Glendale AO (Whole process was ~1.5 years), my academy started yesterday. Feel free to ask any questions ill try my best to answer.

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I just got hired as a Glendale AO (Whole process was ~1.5 years), my academy started yesterday. Feel free to ask any questions ill try my best to answer.

1 and a half years? Is that the normal process? What does the normal process consist of? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer on the open forum.

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
1 and a half years? Is that the normal process? What does the normal process consist of? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer on the open forum.

Yeah...its a job with a city. on top of that you're going through the identical process their FF's go through.

Last edited by a moderator:

USMCemt

Forum Probie
Yeah...its a job with a city. on top of that you're going through the identical process their FF's go through.

The time frame fits well with my current plans. Did you have prior experience as an emt? Are you a medic or will you be able to attend medic school or a fire academy? Long term aspirations for me are to be a fire/medic and work per diem as a nurse. I have 9 months left in nursing school.

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
I worked for the past 1.5 years in a busy 911 setting, and i have plans to attend medic school in the very near future. They are willing to grant leave of absences for medic school/FAs.

USMCemt

Forum Probie
I worked for the past 1.5 years in a busy 911 setting, and i have plans to attend medic school in the very near future. They are willing to grant leave of absences for medic school/FAs.

Thanks for the response and the leave of absence is a awesome deal.

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

The FF process taking a year plus doesn't surprise me, I guess I just figured a part time AO job would be a shorter time from test to starting your first shift, but I guess the private company process spoiled my expectations lol

Thanks for the response and the leave of absence is a awesome deal.

Yeah that's def a big plus for me too, I'd love to go to medic school and fire academy within the next couple years

USMCemt

Forum Probie
Danno,

Is there a study guide for the AO written test, or should I utilize the fpsi guide for the fire recruit test?

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know what the fpsi guide is, but the AO written is all national registry type stuff.

I wonder if they'll make you guys learn Armenian, since Glendale is 99% Armenian lol.

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I wonder if they'll make you guys learn Armenian, since Glendale is 99% Armenian lol.

Actually not a bad idea lol, a few months back I transported a little old Armenian lady out of GMHHC, she didn't want to go but got talked into going by her daughter. Didn't speak a lock of English but apparently thought we were police, long story short I'm pretty sure I was getting thoroughly cussed out in Armenian lol