Field Guides & Additional Reading?

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I keep hearing mention of field and pocket guides for EMTBs. I'm wondering if I should buy one and if I'll actually end up using it. I would imagine there'd be little time to consult the book on a call...

If it's recommended, which ones have you found to be really great references?

Also, any recommendations for additional reading?
I've seen some books on Amazon like 60-Second EMT and Streetmedic.

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by AnthonyM83@Nov 7 2005, 12:06 AM
I keep hearing mention of field and pocket guides for EMTBs. I'm wondering if I should buy one and if I'll actually end up using it. I would imagine there'd be little time to consult the book on a call...

If it's recommended, which ones have you found to be really great references?

Also, any recommendations for additional reading?
I've seen some books on Amazon like 60-Second EMT and Streetmedic.
not nice to break out a book while you are treating someone

but between pocket guide and the protocol for your are.. is nice to check out while you are heading to a call

I found it to be of great help when i started out.. and calls that we don't get very offen .. it's nice to read over heading to the pt... also being able to look up meds or other things after the call to learn a bit more is nice..

jmo

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I prefer the ACLS version simply because it has a better drug reference section. I do agree that it doesn't instill confidence in your patient to be reading while treating, however sometimes you have to.

bravofoxtrot

Forum Crew Member
I'd recommend the ALS EMS Field Guide, 14th or 15th edition. I have one and it's proven to be very useful. The drug guide in the back (for patient medication list) is indispensable for playing everyone's favorite game, "guess a history."

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by bravofoxtrot@Nov 7 2005, 09:57 AM
I'd recommend the ALS EMS Field Guide, 14th or 15th edition. I have one and it's proven to be very useful. The drug guide in the back (for patient medication list) is indispensable for playing everyone's favorite game, "guess a history."
I second that.

I've used mine a few times for "odd" medications. It is also great for other stuff.... like remembering all of the GCS, or the APGAR scale... stuff we don't use every day, and are sometimes rusty on.

Jon

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Mosby's Paramedic Textbook!!!!!!

:p

0323027865.jpg

-> I know, I know... it's not light reading. :unsure: