Females

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Before we begin, in case you haven't figured, Clare is a girls name :)

The Order of St John first allowed female Ambulance Officers in 1982 and if my research is correct the first female Advanced Care Officer (Paramedic) or what is now called Intensive Care Paramedic was 1989.

It greatly intrigues me, and irks me just a little, that in the three decades since then that the general public have not accepted females as being just as capable as a male Officer. On watch by-and-large the guys are outnumbered by girls yet there is no difference except which bits are down below. Female Ambulance Officers are just as capable of lifting, carrying, assessing, treating, transporting and doing all the other bits and pieces that male counterparts are yet somehow seen as lesser by the public?

Often times when two females turn up there is a silent look, even if it is fleeting, or some comment (particularly by older people) or just I don't know how to describe it, something, that says they are somehow surprised that two girls are paired together. I mean why not? there are females soldiers, firefighters, politicians, two of our Prime Ministers have been female (the current Australian PM and I believe the German Chancellor are both female), so what gives? Nobody says anything about female police officers or accountants or lawyers or Prime Ministers or whatever ...

I have been to road crashes, heart attacks, asthma, burns, diabetes, generally sick people, people who are critically unwell and those who are not, had to talk to rape victims and seen dead bodies, including people who have taken their own life, and I think I handle it pretty well. Yes, I've gone out the back and cried over people, in particular people who had died as a result of road crash or suicide and people who have been raped but I have seen others (both male and female) do the same. I am certainly not one of these deluded, cotton wool and puppy dogs fairy tale princess types who believes all is right with the world and that one day some amazing person is going to come scoop me up and we are going to live happily ever after sorts and yes, I think compared to some, particular to other males, I am a bit more caring and empathetic or motherly and I suppose that is more inherent of females but doesn't mean girls are soft-pants who can't do the job.

I'd really like to know if others get the same or if its just me? It is not an all day everyday thing but on the road there are times when it does occur and I can't put my finger on exactly why, so perhaps we can Clare-ify the issue :p

I should also say that I am talking about the public at large and not the ambulance service itself; the ambulance service is fantastic and very supportive of all its staff regardless of anatomy, there are females in such positions as Duty Operations Manager, Operations Team Manager, District Operations Manager and quite a few of the Clinical Development Team are female.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I know you are all girl power and stuff. But really if you are professional, and are respectful that's what you should get in return.

I'm not treated any differently by the guys I work with. Our company is pretty much 50-50 when it comes to gender.

The only time I feel I'm treated differently is when one of the firefighters Asks if they can lift the stretcher for me.

But if you go around screaming I'm a girl, I'm just like you! I feel that causes problems.

OP
OP
Clare

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I know you are all girl power and stuff. But really if you are professional, and are respectful that's what you should get in return.

But if you go around screaming I'm a girl, I'm just like you! I feel that causes problems.

I wouldn't say I am "girl power" in that I am some sort of ultra-pro female equality feminist or nothing and among paramedics girls are treated no differently. If you want to see girl power I should introduce you to a Police Officer I used to know, she had bigger balls than any man I have ever met!

What I mean is the the public often give a look, or a comment, particularly if the crew is female (i.e. two girls) and interestingly I find it is often older people particularly older ladies that say something.

I don't go round screaming about how girls are the same as the guys but honestly there is little difference, nobody says anything to a both-male crew so why do they say something or give a look to a both-female crew when nobody would say anything to a pair of female police officers? I suppose the same can be said for male nurses, there are a few out there (but quite rare) and I know one or two through the ambulance service and they comment that people often say something to them too.

I find the psychology of such behaviour quite interesting because I've noticed it a bit lately is all and I am curious.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I guess I've never had the public mention anything to me and my female partner.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
FDNY EMS is pretty split 50/50 gender wise.

No one really gets treated differently by the public or agency. The only thing that ever really gets brought up is some people prefer not to work with women on the basis that they aren't usually capable of lifting as much weight.

Its nothing against women, most men are just more muscular naturally.

Personally I don't care because I can just call for assistance if need be.

Anjel

Forum Angel
And that is a valid point. I can lift what is required by policy. Which is my half of a 300 lb person on a stretcher, but a guy crew may be able to do 350. Or we have have one crew that does a 550lb dialysis pt.

No use hurting yourself though.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
And that is a valid point. I can lift what is required by policy. Which is my half of a 300 lb person on a stretcher, but a guy crew may be able to do 350. Or we have have one crew that does a 550lb dialysis pt.

No use hurting yourself though.

I don't know why anyone cares. If its a legitimate assignment im going to call for a BLS backup when we see the patient anyway. Otherwise I can call a CFR engine to come lift them. Takes 2-5 minutes to get either onscene.

retarmyeng06

Forum Ride Along
Not an anomaly...

My .02 cents and nothing more...

I am a Male firefighter/EMT and have witnessed this type of behavior especially from older men and women and occassionally from others as well. From my perspective I believe it is a generational issue with the older folks; as for the others its either from ignorance or preconcived ideas (i.e. prejudice).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My medic is a female and I am a male. When we arrive on scene with a fire department we don't normally run with they always assume that I am the medic. Same thing at the hospital.

Our company is no where near a 50/50 split. We have maybe 10-20 females and 100+ males.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We're about 25% female at my service. I actually like working a split crew, male and female, but haven't noticed any odd looks or ever heard any comments.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Ive never had anyone say anything about having a female EMT on a crew. Actually, ive had a patient comment about an all male crew on an OB call but thats about it

Ive have had issues when it comes to lifting and moving a patient, as the female members cant lift as much, or in two cases, say they cant lift at all. Ive never had a male refuse a lift.

Calling for an engine company for a lift for a person under 300lbs isnt acceptable in my service. Everyone is expected to be able to lift 150lbs as part of the requirments for employment and most oof my all-male crews wouldnt call for anyone under 500lbs.

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
When I told my grandma that I was getting ready to graduate paramedic school she told me " Around here the ambulance only has female drivers, I bet they'd let you be in the back though".

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I only get comments when we are a double female crew. And I just brush them off.

People are always gonna think what they think, you only control your reaction to their stuff, and I really think that smart women just let these kind of things just roll off their backs and do their jobs.

I sometimes make a joke, brush it off, whatever, but if you just go all low-key and let it go, it gets better.

OP
OP
Clare

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
People are always gonna think what they think, you only control your reaction to their stuff, and I really think that smart women just let these kind of things just roll off their backs and do their jobs.

I am more interested in why people think what they think rather than what they say or do; and why it seems to only be with a female ambulance crew, nobody says to the police if they are on scene and all the cops are female but they will make some comment about two female ambulance officers.

Maybe it is generational, I find the older people seem to say something more often its the older females, I think they are trying to be nice or encouraging or something when Nana says "oh you girls are doing a wonderful job, do you find it any trouble being just the two of you dear?" or something.

Not the end of the world but interesting I find none the less.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am on the flip side of the coin. I will be one of 5 male RNs on the floor with 40+ Females

OP
OP
Clare

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I am on the flip side of the coin. I will be one of 5 male RNs on the floor with 40+ Females

I know a couple of male nurses and they are very, very few and far between; nursing is still almost exclusively female.

leoemt

Forum Captain
We have lots of girls working for us. We even have several female - female partnerships and they are treated just as well as the men.

Now in my opinion a true professional will recognize their strengths and weaknesses. That includes females who realize they just aren't as strong as their male counterparts as an example.

It actually bothers me that we still have this topic being brought up. I would think that with all the ergonomics talk lately, you would realize you have one body and once you mess it up your done.

I'm a male but I am not too proud to accept help. We recently were doing a sheet transfer of an elderly patient that weighed probably 100lbs soaking wet. When we did the transfer we had 4 people to help us. Was it overkill? Yeah it was. Did it make it easier? Yeah it did. Why would I turn down help? I got one back, strong or not I am not going to screw it up for anyone.

I don't think the problem is females being accepted, rather I think it is females refusing to be accepted. The sooner you admit your weaknesses the sooner you can overcome.

I work with girls all the time. Many of which are young and petite. I have never had a problem with them pulling their own and I have been happy to work alongside them.

Respect isn't given - its earned. Being female doesn't automatically entitle you to respect.

OP
OP
Clare

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't think the problem is females being accepted, rather I think it is females refusing to be accepted.

Respect isn't given - its earned. Being female doesn't automatically entitle you to respect.

Wow, you sound like a real jerk.

I'm not saying female ambulance officers are not respected; I am curious as to what is the motivation behind the passing looks or comments of some of the public when a double female crew turns up that is only given to female ambulance officers and not female police or firefighters or doctors (in my experience). As Chase said, the same is given to male nurses as several of my friends are male nurses and they say the same thing, some people give you a look or a comment, in the ambulance service it seems to be predominantly older people, older females especially,

I am not talking about professional relationships between crews; I have had or seen or heard of any problems between male and female ambos but rather my interest lies with the public at large.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Wow, you sound like a real jerk.

I'm not saying female ambulance officers are not respected; I am curious as to what is the motivation behind the passing looks or comments of some of the public when a double female crew turns up that is only given to female ambulance officers and not female police or firefighters or doctors (in my experience). As Chase said, the same is given to male nurses as several of my friends are male nurses and they say the same thing, some people give you a look or a comment, in the ambulance service it seems to be predominantly older people, older females especially,

I am not talking about professional relationships between crews; I have had or seen or heard of any problems between male and female ambos but rather my interest lies with the public at large.

He was stating his take on the topic, your opinion of what he sounds like is pushing the bounds of Being Nice and is not acceptable.

Gently steering this conversation back to the public's perception of female EMS providers.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems to be a lot of talk about a ratio of Men to Females in the work place, and I am not sure that has much to do with this conversation.

For one, the ratio has nothing to do with "tolerance of the two sexes" it has to do with who went to EMT or Paramedic school, who showed up for the hiring process and who passed the hiring process.

But for what it is worth, I think we are close to a 50/50 split.....

Clare, are you "small"? I guess what I am getting at, is do people look at you this way because they look at themselves, then look at the stretcher, then look at your size then go "How the hay is she gonna lift all this?????" I have never seen or heard of anyone or any patient making a comment as to a Female Paramedics cognitive ability, only physical...... I am not saying I agree with the comments, just saying, those are the only ones I have heard.

As far calling the above a Jerk, I am not sure why you did this. I think he was making reference to people who look for a reason, play the victim, or the blame game. Even when there is none to be had.