Fear of Needlestick Injuries

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

My name is Shelby.. I'm new to this forum and just getting back into the world of EMS.

I became an EMT-B when I was 19 and worked in the field for awhile. I loved it, but I was still super young & kinda lost with my direction, and explored some other choices. Now, at 22, I've realized I've left my heart in the field, have renewed my cert, and am planning on going to NCTI for the paramedic program.

There's just one problem.

I've always known in my heart that I've been put here to be in the medical field. I know I will never be content if I chose a career in some other field. I, however, have always had a super intense fear of needlestick injuries since I was a kid and learned what they were. Its to the point where I feel OCD about it, and I'm not even a paramedic yet. I know the chances of contracting anything are extremely low, especially with PEP, but my main concerns are HIV and HCV, especially HCV since there isn't currently PEP for it. Its to the point where I'm starting school in May, and feel like I'm going to chicken out at the last minute, which I know I will absolutely hate myself for. I just have that feeling that I'll be one of the unlucky few, even though I know my mind is just playing games on me. For whatever reason, I feel like God is using this experience to teach me to push past fear, which is something I've always had a difficult time with. I guess I am just looking for any encouragement to push forward with my goals, and to see what your opinions are.. I'm hoping that if I always remain conscious and diligent, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for the rambling, and I'm hoping y'all won't crucify me for posting this.. just needed a space to vent. :)

Shelby

Plus it's treatable. (I mean, it's not something I'd do for fun, but it is.)

The use of straight hypodermic needles has been cut down drastically as well. While safety needles do not guarantee anything, they've come along way.

Though there was one type we had at AMR that actually resulted in an increase in injuries as it did not have a robust and positive locking mechanism. Those are gone now.

Needlesticks from a contaminated needle are very rare (needle sticks from an uncontaminated needle, like while mixing up a drip are a different story), and while the liklihood of actually contracting something from one is low, any halfway decent department will have procedures in place to immedietly start (or attempt to, depending on local law) testing the source patient, as well as prophalactically treat you if appropriate.

Honestly, if a potential employer doesn't have procedures like that, I'd strongly urge you to move on and look elsewhere.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't be to worries about it. If you have half a brain, even if you aren't using the multiple different types of safety needles that exist nowadays, the odds of you getting stuck are very, very low.

I don't know about what it is nowadays about the new trainees with healthcare workers entering the field, but the vast majority of needle stick injuries come from younger nurses, even though they are using safety needles. Older nurses have gone for decades with hypodermics, and still exclusively use them, and they haven't gotten a needlestick through their careers whereas these newer nurses, even with the safety needles, are sticking themselves multiple times.

Probably has something to do with comparing a new provider to an old provider...especially if that old provider came up in a time when needlesticks were seen as far less important that they are today, and thus not reported...

I think it's good to worry about getting stuck by a needle, the reason I say that is you will be more aware when handling one and hopefully will be able to prevent it.

It's not always that easy, I've heard stories of how fast it can happen. But like the others have said it's very low risk of catching hep c from a single needle stick. I know one medic that got stuck with a known hep c pt he was doing a IV on but he didn't catch anything.

Like ewok said situational awareness. Do you best to always pay attention when handling needles. Good luck with your future in ems, I hope all goes well.

Just be cautious, not something to leave a career over.

I've had both a needlestick with a dirty needle and an exposure incident where I got a load of blood on my hand which had a fresh cut on it.

Both involved excellent infection control responses from my department, testing and a lot of "don't worry, you'll be fine".

I was.

Needlesticks and exposures are both real risks of the job. Certainly you should be aware of these risks, but not terrified by them. Educate yourself on the risks to providers and the percentage of infections transmitted through patient contact and be diligent in your PPE and hand hygiene.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your replies. I appreciate the input & seeing it from a logical standpoint instead of from emotion/fear. I'm about to move back home to California from Florida to attend so I can be near family and have some help, so I think moving, starting school, & everything all at once kinda amplified the stress & fear, but this thread definitely helped.

Thank you all very much for your replies. I appreciate the input & seeing it from a logical standpoint instead of from emotion/fear. I'm about to move back home to California from Florida to attend so I can be near family and have some help, so I think moving, starting school, & everything all at once kinda amplified the stress & fear, but this thread definitely helped.

Well at least youre moving back to the most progressive state for EMS!

Hey there,

My name is Shelby.. I'm new to this forum and just getting back into the world of EMS.

I became an EMT-B when I was 19 and worked in the field for awhile. I loved it, but I was still super young & kinda lost with my direction, and explored some other choices. Now, at 22, I've realized I've left my heart in the field, have renewed my cert, and am planning on going to NCTI for the paramedic program.

There's just one problem.

I've always known in my heart that I've been put here to be in the medical field. I know I will never be content if I chose a career in some other field. I, however, have always had a super intense fear of needlestick injuries since I was a kid and learned what they were. Its to the point where I feel OCD about it, and I'm not even a paramedic yet. I know the chances of contracting anything are extremely low, especially with PEP, but my main concerns are HIV and HCV, especially HCV since there isn't currently PEP for it. Its to the point where I'm starting school in May, and feel like I'm going to chicken out at the last minute, which I know I will absolutely hate myself for. I just have that feeling that I'll be one of the unlucky few, even though I know my mind is just playing games on me. For whatever reason, I feel like God is using this experience to teach me to push past fear, which is something I've always had a difficult time with. I guess I am just looking for any encouragement to push forward with my goals, and to see what your opinions are.. I'm hoping that if I always remain conscious and diligent, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for the rambling, and I'm hoping y'all won't crucify me for posting this.. just needed a space to vent. :)

Shelby
I am still in EMT class but ive heard that sometimes the outdated style bench seat cracks can be a hazard. Before sharps containers and certain pathogens were discovered, I believe EMS workers stuck the needles in the end of the bench, but I'm not sure if that is accurate info and if isn't then please enlighten me bc I'm still in the learning process. I have only seen the inside of 2 different company trucks. Company X had this smoothe high tech looking hard bench seat without cracks in it, sharp professional staff, as well as electric stretchers and other newer technologies. Company Y had older trucks (older bench), older medics, fresh EMTs, some drivers weren't certified at all, and stretchers that looked fresh out of the 80s. Be aware of your surroundings and remember that scene safety and BSI starts each morning when you begin your shift. Take on the responsibility to inspect the ambulance for any possible safety hazards before each shift so you and your partner will be safe and ready for calls. Also off topic, make sure you have everything stocked up and enough O2 etc. except for narcotics unless your a medic. It never hurts to reinspect/restock if the call volume is low.

From the looks of it, my personal preference would be working for company X who probably only hires experienced EMTs and cares about their employees which ultimately leads to better Pt care. I hope this helped a bit if accurate. I'd also like to add if company Y is the only service in your area that will hire you, take it and pay your dues with caution bc I'm sure there is a line of experienced ppl wanting to get hired with X. Consider relocation if there is an opening. Btw, company X is county (911 service) and Y a transport company.

Well at least youre moving back to the most progressive state for EMS!
Did you really just say that CA is the most progressive state for EMS?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

I'm beyond sad to leave Florida, but I'd rather be in EMS in California than here with all of the crazies. Every weird story comes out of Florida.

You realize crazies are everywhere, right? And I don't think I've ever heard anybody say they'd rather be in EMS in California...

Oh I know lol, it wasn't an entirely serious comment. I work at a bar on the beach & we're on spring break at the moment so I'm just feeling like Florida is especially full of crazies this Friday evening.

Back