Favorite or Best Moment

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I searched but didn't see this question. If I missed it sorry in advance.

What's been your favorite or best moment in EMS?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The 2 times in the past 4 months I can without a doubt say I saved a life / kept someone from dying.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Delivered what I thought was a 19 week old (turns out to have been around 24 weeks or so) that is still doing very well in the NICU. This was just after I lost my GF, so it was a great call to run.

Epi-do

I see dead people
It had to be getting to meet the 70+ year old guy that we were taking to the ER because he fell of his bicycle.......

while trying to "ramp" it!

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Some of the cool places I've gotten to go because of the job: the back rooms of the general assembly, backstage at concerts, posting at the top of the hill that looks out over the city on gorgeous summer evenings.

I love the feeling that comes from sitting out on the back bumper of the truck and watching the world go by.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Hearing that fragile Thank You from the 92 yo lady you picked up after she had fallen. And SHE holds your hand all the way to the hospital.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
:rofl:When one of the holiday weekend idiots tried to car jack a cop.:rofl:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Some of the cool places I've gotten to go because of the job: the back rooms of the general assembly, backstage at concerts, posting at the top of the hill that looks out over the city on gorgeous summer evenings.

I love the feeling that comes from sitting out on the back bumper of the truck and watching the world go by.

This. I was taking photos in downtown ABQ tonight... and saw people still stuck in their offices at 2100... I couldn't imagine being cooped up in a cube farm all day, every day at work. I love the freedom working on the bus gives me.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Favorite moment would probably be when a patient I treated during the recent tornadoes told me I'd make a good doctor :)

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The interesting people you get to meet and talk to

You might be talking to a young guy who broke his leg after drinking 15 beers about the girl he won't be taking home, then talk to Nana about her cats or paintings or instant noodles ...

But you want to know Brown's best moment that came from being an Ambulance Officer? Meeting Mrs Brown :D

Ondansetron, quick :p

IronClaud

Forum Crew Member
The interesting people you get to meet and talk to

You might be talking to a young guy who broke his leg after drinking 15 beers about the girl he won't be taking home, then talk to Nana about her cats or paintings or instant noodles ...

But you want to know Brown's best moment that came from being an Ambulance Officer? Meeting Mrs Brown :D

Ondansetron, quick :p

That's way awesome.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Its all pretty good.

Any time I get free food.

Getting punched in the face by a 14 year old girl. It was a good punch too and it knocked me on my arse, but it was just so unexpected that it made the whole thing hilarious. I laughed for like 5 minutes.

Any good car accident where I get to boss fire fighters around.

Watching my first delivery. I never knew something could be so gross and so wonderful at the same time.

When patients thank you. Happens a lot. People are mostly pretty nice to us.

When nurses tell me I look like a junior registrar. I think they mean it as an insult, but I like it ;-)

Unexpectedly though, I can put my finger on one or two lives I, personally and single-handedly saved and it doesn't really do much for me to be honest. Usually because its just something any idiot could have done (like narcan) had they been in the same place. What I like is when I do something that someone else couldn't or wouldn't have done. A string of subtle clinical decisions that nobody notices where you think later, "Man I was on f***ing fire" or when you get a compliment on you diagnosis/treatment from a senior intensive care medic or doc. That's what I like the most. At the end of the day its all about me :p

WORST MOMENT: Having the day shift point out to me that we didn't have out monitor/defib at the end of the shift. We...and by we I mean I... left it at hospital 4 hours ago and not noticed. F****************CKKKKKK.

Last edited by a moderator:

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Antoher awesome moment was being on scene of an accident, on the interstate, and witness another accident. When you run across the medium (your partner is in the back of the rig, with the first accident victim), and you find 4 guys, three of them yelling at you that "he is not breathing", you reach in and do a jaw thrust, and he takes a deep breath. He is unconscious, yet you do a rapid extrication, horse collar onto a LBB. Load him on to your rig, and take (both) to the hospital. AND the best part is knowing that, that guy walked out of that hospital, with a halo. And he is going to be just fine. (had a c-1 fx) Then about a week later you find out he is a relative of a famous (really famous) person. Made my day. I will never forget the feeling I had knowing that I actually DID and can say I saved someones life.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Having the day shift point out to me that we didn't have out monitor/defib at the end of the shift. We...and by we I mean I... left it at hospital 4 hours ago and not noticed. F****************CKKKKKK.

It is difficult to notice these things when asleep at the station in your nice warm bed, they become very noticeable when roused out of said nice warm bed and sent to oh Brown doesn't know .... a 9? :D

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
It had to be getting to meet the 70+ year old guy that we were taking to the ER because he fell of his bicycle.......
while trying to ramp it :lol:

one of my first calls was for this 80+ y/o cycling enthuisiast who had hit a manhole cover and the sidewalk had munched his face, ear, and arm. We roll and he's so nonchalant, saying he'll just take a shower to wash off all the blood when he goes home. My medic asks him,
"Sir, you have a chunk missing out of your ear. What should I do if I find it on the sidewalk?"
Patient: "Ehh, I don't need it anyways."
:lol:

I think my best moment though wasn't actually a call. I had just gotten off shift and I had swung by my old school before it closed to turn in paperwork for my medic application, and I was talking to my old lead instructor. He's a total hardass and is never really very personable. We were talking and he looked at me and nodded and said,
"Medic... You'll do good there."

^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
My best moment was also my worst moment. Witnessed and thus, was first on scene of a two vehicle MVC. Eight patients, five of which were kids plus one infant. I managed the scene like a pro, requested the right amount of resources, utilized bystanders efficiently, everything just worked out well.

Oh, and this was Christmas morning.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Keystone Ranch, CA, deployed with Guard on exercise

"My" med techs were elbowing the old guy (me, at forty-one) out of the way to get to the patients first and doing a great job after they had gotten their own EMT certifications and two days of a moderately boring and unfun deployment (every MRE had cheese and potatoes in the entree). Great to see 'em "leave the nest".