Family Triage

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Let's say there's an MVA, multiple pts. And you find your father or mother or wife or alike on the scene. Not going to code right now, but priority 1. There are 2 other pts also on the scene, that must be helped first according to Triage. What ould you do?

Lets make this more spesific:

Family: LeForte 3; Bilateral Periorbital Echymosis; Tachypnoeia; Bradycardia; GCS-7; CSF in ears.

Other 2: Respiratory distress & Heamorrhaging respectively.

What would you do if local triage states your family comes #3? :blink:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
This was discussed in JEMS or EMS Magazine last month.... Family / Firefighter / Children / Psychs need to get off scene REALLY quick, so you can concentrate on the task at hand.. if all are "red", Family goes first.... if Family is "yellow" they go first out of the yellow, and if availible, get offscene while extrication is still in process...

Also... FF hurt with hurst fluid spray... put in ambualnce and run..... even if not "red" - still... will paralyze the effort on scene, as everyone will try to help their "brother"

Good topic...

Jon

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I would have to say I agree with Jon on this one.

We had a training drill last year where people were all doing there part triaging and transporting well on of the firefighters who is also on the ambulance squad thought it would be fun to fall down cuz of a heart attack and go totally out of it. Well he was hoping to go down while no one noticed but umm he forgot to look behind him and had one of our EMTs following him. He is a taller heaveir set person and the EMT is a smaller size person so she was really happy. Needless to say they acted quick and got him right off. Not very many people noticed it. I will admit I was one of them but I was up on top of the hill with walking wounded and a firefighter helping me control them and monitor them cuz I think I had either 4 or 5 people so I was nice to have the firefighter helping. But all in I think it is important to get those who are family or Rescue personal off scene quickly if at all possible.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtbuff@Aug 17 2005, 09:27 AM

As much as it pains me to say this, so do I.

:p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Aug 17 2005, 12:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Aug 17 2005, 12:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-emtbuff@Aug 17 2005, 09:27 AM

As much as it pains me to say this, so do I.

:p [/b][/quote]
Hey!!!

Also, as I said... any psych problenms or injured children are ALSO important to get off scene quickly.

Psychs... somone who is emotionally disturbed will cause EVERYONE to become MORE stressed and agitated.

Pediatarics... Kids have a greater impact on providers, espicially providers who can picture their son/daughter in the same place... increses stress, and also more providers onscene woill ant to help the pediatric case first, over other, sometimes more serious, patients. Another good point is kids can have serious injuries and compensate well, so you can't tell if the kid is reealy hurt badly or not.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Aug 17 2005, 01:52 PM
Jon, all great points!
I'm printing this and framing this!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

OP
OP
Rangat

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
:huh: So your telling me that you would walk right off the scene and go wait in the truck if you see your wife under a car (Victor Pt)?

Coz I won't...

I'll probably make REAL sure a good EMT is on her, and then go to someone else, or just help him.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Rangat@Aug 17 2005, 02:42 PM
:huh: So your telling me that you would walk right off the scene and go wait in the truck if you see your wife under a car (Victor Pt)?

Coz I won't...

I'll probably make REAL sure a good EMT is on her, and then go to someone else, or just help him.
It would be the hardest thing to do emotionally, but it would be the best thing medically.

Face it, your emotions will cloud your judgement. I'm not so sure I would work on any patient if one of my family members was involved, because I'm not going to be able to give them my complete attention like they deserve.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
When it is my family, I'm no longer a provider but a patient myself...

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Aug 17 2005, 08:52 PM
When it is my family, I'm no longer a provider but a patient myself...
thats another good point Jon.

Even if it is something small family of the pt is also consider a pt. And if It is my mom lying there in a car accident Yes I would have someone else work on her that is really good, but I would stay out of it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My Company had one about a year ago, where it was the son and wife of the next-due companies' Ambulance Chief... His Paramedic unit was on the scene, and I belive both of his ambulances' was assisting. As soon as the chief determined who it was, he was contacted by fireboard to either go to the scene or station, and was met by our chief, who explained what had happened. His family is doing well now, I belive, but his wife did spend several weeks in ICU downtown.

Espicially in a small town, you come across people you know quite often. Last week I had a member of my graduating class as a patient... passed out drunk in town after the PD had him in custody... they decided he was too drunk to deal with, and called us... we transported him, and he didn't recognize me, he was BLASTED! I ran into him the other day and he thanked me... tunrs out, the cops didn't bother with citing him, and he got out of a night in jail.... I did reccomend that he, ummm, not imbibe large amounts of ETOH untill after his twenty-first birthday (a few months away :rolleyes: :D )

Jon