Family concerned for my safety, how to make them less worried?

AEMT75

Forum Ride Along
Volunteer AEMT for five years. My parents are worried about me and want me to quit. I'm in a suburban area and I know it's going to get very busy/dangerous over the next couple of months, they are already planning field hospitals where I live. Is there anything I can tell my parents to make them less worried? I want a future career in healthcare, and I want to be part of the healthcare response to this pandemic. It feels wrong to quit now. There probably isn't anything I can tell my parents to calm them but if anyone has any ideas please let me know. It sucks seeing them so worried.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
It's tough to answer your question without knowing you and your parents. If I were, say, in my mid-20s and facing the same issue with my parents, I think I would have told them that I'll be as careful as I can be, but I still have to do my job. I'd also reassure them that the chances of me getting very sick or dying are very small. I doubt any of that will make them worry less, but maybe they'll understand that you're not doing anything crazy, and you are trying to manage risks.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It's tough to answer your question without knowing you and your parents. If I were, say, in my mid-20s and facing the same issue with my parents, I think I would have told them that I'll be as careful as I can be, but I still have to do my job. I'd also reassure them that the chances of me getting very sick or dying are very small. I doubt any of that will make them worry less, but maybe they'll understand that you're not doing anything crazy, and you are trying to manage risks.
Sometimes it can help to explain the precautions you will be taking and what PPE you should have. Knowledge is usually the key to fighting fear, but being a parent will always entail some level of worry in them.

Monday

Forum Probie
It's a tough spot to be in for sure.

I would also consider explaining to them I'm much safer doing my job as usual, than abruptly quitting. If not for financial reasons for a multitude of others.

Workplace means appropriate protections and backup in place, security. Less of that when out of work and on my own.

No way I would quit in this situation, or encourage others to unless their health demands it, but that is a personal choice and imo not ethically kosher to try and make that decision for others. Just a personal vote and boundary is stay.

Last edited:

ElectricCPR

Forum Probie
If your believer in God you can explain it to them from that perspective.
My spiritual leader promised us that being that we're here for others with a whole heart and possibly putting our own health at risk, God will protect us that no harm should befall us!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
honestly, my father (now in his 70s, 40ish year IT career) has never understood why I do what I do. My mom is a little better. Both still worry. When my grandparents were still alive, I asked them when they stopped worrying about my parents.... they said it never happens.

here is some things you can tell them:
1) you will be using the same PPE that everyone else is using.
2) there are plenty of people who are testing positive for COVID-19, and many of them aren't in the heathcare field.
3) even if you do catch it, the chances of you actually dying is pretty slim in your 20s. They are more of a risk because of their age
4) you can still go outside and get hit by a bus. And that has nothing to do with COVID-19.

I've worked in the urban areas, as well as the suburbs. What is so scary about this is you can't see anything coming, and it's tough to prevent it. wear your PPE, wash your hands, and decon if needed.

Parents WILL worry about their kids. My parents are in NJ, and I'm in NC... and last week they called me to make sure I was ok.... despite NJ having a higher number of cases, and them being in the age range to stay home. It's part of their job. But only you can decide if you want to quit, and it sounds like you don't want to, so I wouldn't. your parents will worry regardless.