False Medical Complaints to Dispatch

Kuhnz350

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone,

So I was told a story yesterday which has me curious about the opinions of others. Let me first start by stating this wasn't my call and I've never responded to this patient before nor do I intend on acting on anything as, well, it wasn't my call haha.

I will also start by explaining how this particular county dispatches. For each call they dispatch response codes Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and Echo. Alpha being non-emergent. Bravo being at your discretion. And Charlie, Delta, or Echo being emergent response. Alpha is typically things like "not feeling well", "fall victim", "abdominal pain", "stubbed toe", etc. While Echo is Cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, swift water rescue, etc.

So yesterday a friend of mine who works at another station told me a story of how a man called 911 complaining of respiratory distress with chest tightness. This was dispatched as a charlie response. I wasn't told what the actual complaint was on scene, but was told it could have been sent as an alpha response. The patient was a frequent flier. When the crew questioned if he was experiencing any chest pain or shortness of breath, the patient told them "no I just told them that because I knew that would make you use the lights and you would get here faster."

Now obviously most of us know some patients do this and know how to work the system. But have any of them ever flat out admitted it to you? What would you do in this particular situation? Ignore it? Document it in your chart? Contact county and inform them of what the patient said? Inform the police for a possible system abuse investigation?

While lights and siren obviously doesn't give you the right to drive like a maniac, most of us have seen that traffic on the roads handle emergency vehicles in....different ways. Moving over calmly, racing the truck, slamming on their brakes in the middle of traffic. Personally I feel its dangerous to the crew and the public to falsely call an emergent response to a scene simply because you want them there a few moments quicker. Can't say I would be to pleased with the patient putting multiple people at risk for emergent response then jokingly admitting it to our faces.

Anyway, was just curious on others opinions on something like this. Has a patient ever admitted to you that they did this? What actions would you take, if any?

SpecialK

Forum Captain
If somebody is obviously doing this deliberately it can be flagged via the Clinical Hub in Control so a specific response plan can be made up for this patient including either enhanced triage, downgrading of the response or no response at all depending on the particular circumstances.

I am told there's a couple hundred of these out there now, mainly for mental health patients.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
If somebody is obviously doing this deliberately it can be flagged via the Clinical Hub in Control so a specific response plan can be made up for this patient including either enhanced triage, downgrading of the response or no response at all depending on the particular circumstances.

I am told there's a couple hundred of these out there now, mainly for mental health patients.
Why do I get more and more jealous of how things are down under every time you post?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
People lie to 911 dispatchers all the time. most places won't downgrade or limit a response, because there is always a chance they now have a real emergency. If you disregard a chronically crazy person who says he is having chest pain, and he ends up dropping dead of the big one, who do you think will hang for it?

The magic phrase is typically "yes i have trouble breathing" to get the ambulance there faster. It annoyed field crews, and causes animosity between them and dispatchers, but when you have to take the callers responses as gospel.... well, lets just say garbage in garbage out.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
most places won't downgrade or limit a response, because there is always a chance they now have a real emergency.

Bingo. The false negative rate is more important than anything else in a litigious society, because even 1 false negative can mean a lawsuit.

pregnant.jpg

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
But have any of them ever flat out admitted it to you? What would you do in this particular situation? Ignore it? Document it in your chart? Contact county and inform them of what the patient said? Inform the police for a possible system abuse investigation?
Yes

Document in my chart, Email my chief, email county dispatch

See above

See above

Yes, they would be on scene anyway

Long trail of documentation for a patient like this is the only way to get recourse at some point. Also this would flag the address for a visit from us as a community health check.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You're never going to fix this, so just smile and move on. Eventually, crying wolf will come back to haunt this clown...
This. We have urgent cares who do this all the time. We just inform them that using lights and sirens when it is not needed is very dangerous to us and the public. Our hospitals however do get in trouble if they call us out code 3 (lights and sirens) for an unneeded reason.

I don't see it changing at all in the near future.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Patients do it here. They dont understand that with EMD dispatch youre probably going to get lights and sirens anyway. 99% of patients go straight from the cot to a room anyway so it doesnt change anything.

I did it when we went to urgent care with my daughter. She had a mild allergic reaction to an antibiotic. When they asked what was wrong I said allergic reaction, though I was really just there cause she needed a new antibiotic prescription. It wasnt wrong, she did have an allergic reaction, and was still at risk for further reactionnt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk