Failed The NREMT Again

Adonis Corvinus

Forum Ride Along
Second time taking it and I failed. Im honestly starting believe is just a scam to make as money as possible, prior to granting individuals their license, I was one of the top in my class and passed the class with flying colors. We used Fisdap and JBLearning, Im trying to become licensed in Florida, but I need to pass the NREMT in order to do so.

The first time I took the NREMT I didnt care as much for it, so I literally did not read any questions and guessed on it all and I got a drastically higher score than I did yesterday on my second attempt. I failed miserably yesterday and I studied JBLearning insanely. I passed every practice test on JBL, Im to the point I believe it's just Capitalist pigs doing what they do best. Put me on the field and I work wonders and already have impressed many crews at fire stations. It seems I magically cant pass the test though, so I think I need a new career option, as I am homeless and cant spend another $100 on this. That would be another $100 worth of food sacrificed. Its no wonder this economy is going downhill. $3000 for a class, just to pay another $100 to take a test, for a job that only pays $10 an hour, unless you're a firefighter as well, which is what I was going for. Ah well American Dream crushed again.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It also helps to assure at least a universal minimal level of competency. Not all programs are created equally. The test doesn't fail people intentionally just to make money, as evidenced by the programs that have very high first time pass rates. So if you keep failing, it's unfortunately on your end. Likely either a knowledge deficit, a misunderstanding of how to answer their questions, or significant testing anxiety. JB is a pretty good site, but if it's not working for you, try one of the other test prep sites.

OP
OP
A

Adonis Corvinus

Forum Ride Along
It also helps to assure at least a universal minimal level of competency. Not all programs are created equally. The test doesn't fail people intentionally just to make money, as evidenced by the programs that have very high first time pass rates. So if you keep failing, it's unfortunately on your end. Likely either a knowledge deficit, a misunderstanding of how to answer their questions, or significant testing anxiety. JB is a pretty good site, but if it's not working for you, try one of the other test prep sites.

Thanks for your response. What are some other good prep sites?

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
If paying for the test is a huge burden to you financially then why not take it seriously the first time? If you don't do your best and take your time and read through the questions, you wont get the results you are wanting. You seem to of practiced and practiced and that is great but I'm guessing you cared about doing good on those practice tests. I would think you would want to care a little bit on the real thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adonis Corvinus

Forum Ride Along
If paying for the test is a huge burden to you financially then why not take it seriously the first time? If you don't do your best and take your time and read through the questions, you wont get the results you are wanting. You seem to of practiced and practiced and that is great but I'm guessing you cared about doing good on those practice tests. I would think you would want to care a little bit on the real thing.

First attempt was four months ago and I wasn't homeless, until two months ago. Pretty much the landlord evicted me, because he has not been paying his mortgage since October. He wants to short sale his house, before it goes into foreclosure.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
First attempt was four months ago and I wasn't homeless, until two months ago. Pretty much the landlord evicted me, because he has not been paying his mortgage since October. He wants to short sale his house, before it goes into foreclosure.

And that is unfortunate but why not take the first attempt seriously? I can't imagine you were shocked to find out you didn't pass if you didn't even read the questions.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd reflect as objectively and dispassionately on your first post; I think you'll find your answers there. For instance:
- Not taking the first run through seriously to the point of not reading the questions reflects on how seriously you took it.
- Blaming the system or calling it rigged shows a lack of ownership for your performance
- There is no magical barrier between "the books" and "the street" despite what some providers might attest. Yes there are realities of real calls that are poorly captured during your education and operational quirks of each area but the knowledge gained from study underpins the psychomotor skills. How a few local fire crews view you is subjective and based on a small slice whereas testing should be comprehensive.

There is no quick fix. If you were top of your class but are struggling with the NREMT exam than it sounds like you're program poorly prepared you for practise. This can be overcome with studying. Not a test prep site but opening the books and learning.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Second time taking it and I failed. Im honestly starting believe is just a scam to make as money as possible, prior to granting individuals their license, I was one of the top in my class and passed the class with flying colors. We used Fisdap and JBLearning, Im trying to become licensed in Florida, but I need to pass the NREMT in order to do so.

The first time I took the NREMT I didnt care as much for it, so I literally did not read any questions and guessed on it all and I got a drastically higher score than I did yesterday on my second attempt. I failed miserably yesterday and I studied JBLearning insanely. I passed every practice test on JBL, Im to the point I believe it's just Capitalist pigs doing what they do best. Put me on the field and I work wonders and already have impressed many crews at fire stations. It seems I magically cant pass the test though, so I think I need a new career option, as I am homeless and cant spend another $100 on this. That would be another $100 worth of food sacrificed. Its no wonder this economy is going downhill. $3000 for a class, just to pay another $100 to take a test, for a job that only pays $10 an hour, unless you're a firefighter as well, which is what I was going for. Ah well American Dream crushed again.

Yea, blame the capitalist pigs for not passing a test. Makes sense. Before taking the test again, perhaps consider if you possess the proper attitude to be a healthcare provider. An inability to take ownership for your own mistakes will lead to short career, if one exists for you at all.

As stated, programs are all taught to a standard but many do not include any education as to how the NR test works. Many people have never experienced adaptive testing, nor are they used to questions that are primarily scenario based. You may have the knowledge, but can you translate it into actual care decisions? Are you sure you fully understand the material or did you pass the course based on short term learning so as to pass the program? These are all important questions.

As for your first attempt, admit you made a very unintelligent and wasteful choice and move on. The test does matter, and you will have to keep passing learning assessments to remain in EMS. It's not just about your street knowledge (which you should be mighty careful talking about and its impressiveness).

MinnieToo

Forum Probie
There were several students in the EMT-B class that I went through that were "top" in the class ... but the tests were set up so the students took them at home, with the textbook readily available. Those "top" students got top-notch grades on the tests right up to the final which was a proctored test at the college. Needless to say, they did not end up with very high scores.

These same students went on to fail the NREMT over and over again.

Listen to the advice given by those with experience who are willing to share their wisdom on this site ... learn not only what, but why.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
If you did so well in class but failed the NREMT twice, then you probably have an issue with some part of the test, or some part of test taking process, critical thinking skills or reasoning skills. So, in order to help you, what did you score in the different sections?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
The first time I took the NREMT I didnt care as much for it, so I literally did not read any questions and guessed on it all , Im to the point I believe it's just Capitalist pigs doing what they do best.

Second time taking it and I failed. Im honestly starting believe is just a scam to make as money as possible...

These two things say a lot to me. Essentially what I get from this is "I put in a half assed effort, and now that I am getting half assed results and I think it is unfair." Not an attitude I want in a partner either, so as far as I see it, until that mindset is changed the test is working like it should.

The test can be tricky with wording sometimes, yes. But there are really three things you need to pass this test. 1. Content knowledge 2. Follow your basics in order (airway before breathing) 3. READ the questions and answers slowly. All three of these are important to passing the test, fail at one and you are not setting yourself up for success as I think you found out. Another thing to keep in mind is there are often two answers that sound right on these, but you have to pick the one that is most right.

paemtstan

Forum Ride Along
For me I bought the fisdap practice tests, and had j&b but the most important part is to understand the reasons your doing things rather than just following a book or protocol. I passed the first try on the nremtb
And as said above remember the proper order to do things, because a lot of the questions are, what would you do next, they might have a proper treatment listed just at the wrong time in the scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I wanna know how you got test scores for the NREMT. How do you know you failed worse the second time? I only got notice that I passed, no other feedback.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I wanna know how you got test scores for the NREMT. How do you know you failed worse the second time? I only got notice that I passed, no other feedback.

I too have only passed on my first try for EMT and my first try for paramedic, however, I am told by EMTs I work with, who are paramedic students that failed their first attempt for paramedic, that scores are sent to them and they can see each section. I never received any, since I passed.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Actual scores are not sent, but a note showing if you passed, failed or were close in a section are included. From NREMT.com:

Candidates who fail to meet entry-level competency will be sent information sheets regarding their testing experience. This information is useful for identifying areas to concentrate study in preparation for the next attempt. The information sheets indicate if a candidate is “above,” “near,” or “below,” the level of entry-level competency in the various content areas. Candidates who are “above” the standard can be somewhat confident they have sufficient knowledge in that content area, allowing them to pass the exam. However, failure to review the material in that content area can result in failing the exam again. Candidates who are “near” the standard can be slightly above or slightly below the standard and should certainly study these areas. Being “near” does not indicate pass or fail but it can be interpreted as an area to study. Candidates who are “below” the standard need to enhance their study in this area. Candidates who fail the examination will have test items for future attempts “masked.” This means a masked item will not appear on future exams taken by that candidate. Studying examination items to prepare to do the job of an EMT is not helpful. Studying the tasks and the job of an EMT provides the best preparation. Candidates who memorize items in hopes of “getting them right,” the next time are wasting their time because masking items prevents them from seeing the same item again.

Moserrr

Forum Ride Along
Along with saying whether you passed or failed it shows you which of the five sections you did well on, I know I did worse on my first attempt then my second but there's no actual score. Just "Above Passing" "Near Passing" and "Below Passing".

Side note; I don't know what it looks like when you pass...

HypOthymesia

Forum Probie
Along with saying whether you passed or failed it shows you which of the five sections you did well on, I know I did worse on my first attempt then my second but there's no actual score. Just "Above Passing" "Near Passing" and "Below Passing".

Side note; I don't know what it looks like when you pass...
Examination Scored

Congratulations on successfully earning your national EMS certification.

Certification documents will be mailed to the address provided in your account profile by first class US Postal service within three business days.

National certification is not a license to practice. You should contact your state EMS office for information on licensing requirements.

jteeters

Forum Crew Member
I was frustrated after I failed my first attempt at the NREMT Paramedic exam. The 15 days up until the second attempt, I studied my tail end off. I didn't use the prep sites, because I did reasonably well on them, and still managed to fail. I DID, however, go back and brushed up on a little bit of EVERYTHING in the text book. As well as using the McGraw-Hill Paramedic Prep book. It helped, I passed my second attempt, have my license, and start on my own truck Friday. The prep sites can only help you if you know the material. Take the time to read it again before taking the test again. It helps. I promise.